Modding Suggestions

Post here and share with us your suggestions:
What would you like to see in a future upgrade?
What would be ideal for a sequel?
What doesn't work well (be nice about it)?
What would be an interesting add-on feature?
Graphical elements..?

Moderator: Admin

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Modding Suggestions

Post by origen »

Well, since we have these other topics, I figured I would put the modding suggestions I mentioned here again. The more times it is mentioned, the more attention it will get:

Here they are:

1. Ability to script monsters joining your party.
2. Correcting the inability to have BP's restored through scripting.
3. Releasing an update to the action editor, hopefully fixing the Thaumaturgist spell bug. I don't think you can even download the old version anymore.
4. Complete list of all commands that can be used through scripting (APIUtils and EventAPI). Also an updated tutorial list would be beneficial.
5. Either the ability to edit existing classes, or create new classes. Also, if we could change where existing classes train for level-up, that would be cool as well. Just in case a mad god decides to wipe out an entire plane of existance, and only 1 old man in a review board is left to advance people. :D
6. The ability to add/edit/change all spells in the game, not just the ones that are in the action editor.
7. Updates items.txt and monsters.txt files with the toolkit
8. In the items file, correctling how the charges for non-ammo items work. If you create something with a charge of 1, you can never use it. If it has a charge of 2, it can be used once. repeat as necessary.
9. For any item that invokes a script, the charges line does not work at all. This will be helpful, as it will allow for Wineskins, Harmonic gems, etc. And if you can script monster encounters, you can make any figurine you want, and it will not be limited to the summoning spells in the game.
For the dev's information, you can refer to http://bardslegacy.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198 for more information on this.
10. Fixing the isBard, isWarrior, isPaladin, etc commands. They don't work, or else they were mentioned as being implemented, but were not. This is a good feature.
11. Ability to script a character back to life. This will allow for custom temples, and other places of healing.
12. A list of, as well as the ability to, edit chest types. So far, I think there is only 5 or so different traps that are associated with chests.
13. Ability to create "one-sided" doors and walls. For example, you look north, there is no wall, but once you step north, there is suddenly a wall behind you.
14. A numberInput command (similar to stringInput) so that people can enter how much gold they would like to donate to certain causes.
15. Allow for more than 9 race pictures to be added per sex. We were originally told that we should be able to add up to 99 per race/sex, but that number is actually 9. More is always better.
16. Not something that I really care about, but some people are Growling about a GUI toolkit.
17. Is anyone still reading this list?
18. More advanced tutorials, including all possible features, such as action editing, creating your own textures, etc.
19. Ability to open up a Character Information screen from inside a script.
I mentioned more on this topic in this thread: http://bardslegacy.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=223
20. Release the DW font, as well as an image template for creating your own custom titlebar images, such as the ones that say "Rennibister", "Wilderness", etc.

That's all I can think of, but since there are other modders (who hopefully still visit the site and have an interest), please post them to get yourself heard.[/url]
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Re: Modding Suggestions

Post by Growler »

origen wrote: 16. Not something that I really care about, but some people are Growling about a GUI toolkit.
17. Is anyone still reading this list?
#16 sounds like an excellent suggestion

#17. sorry, jest us vegan growlers

~!~
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I knew I forgot something.

21. Ability for weapons to cause status damage, such as critical hits, poison, stoning, withering, aging, etc.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

22. Ability to have monsters saved at the guild, so you can use them later.
23. Adding a spell that will act similar to the Ranger's "Animal Talk" skill. Well, I never actually used this skill, so it may not be exactly correct, but I am looking for a spell that will force opponents to join your party.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

24. Perhaps it is there and I just forgot, but having some Magic Regeneration squares or Hit Point Regeneration squares would be nice. I am sure this can be scripted as well, but the only way I can currently think of it has the points being regenerated every time the party moves on this square, so by quickly moving in one spot (spinning in circles), you can quickly regain all your points. I would like a way to do this slowly.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Instead of just one re-gen square--why not make all (or portion, alternating) the squares in a particular room yield but a point or 2 each? (then stop until some trigger regens the regen tiles?)

Then the party would have to mosey around to finally get all/most of their hit/spell pts back...& to make it fun--alternate regen squares with trap squares..so party would need to find/figure out the optimal patten to negotiate thru the room?

Sounds easy enough! (for a master modder such as yerself)
:twisted:
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, I haven't seen any action on this, but since it was last updated in January, I will re-address these issues in the hopes that the "new management" that we heard whispers of a few months ago (although we have yet to see any evidence of this) may see it and help out.

Because of many of these issues, I am not able to successfully complete any of my mods as I would like them to be, and it is probably keeping any other modders out there from even attempting to do anything.

Some of these are just fixes, while others are new features which may take a while.

But, at the very least, I would like to see the following:
1. The ability to download the action editor. This has been gone for some time, so most of the newer people can not even access it.
2. Fix the action editor. The Thaumaturgist spell bug, which is described in detail, makes things near impossible, and not being able to set up a melee attack is just annoying.
3. Updated files in the toolkit. This specifically includes the monsters.txt, items.txt, and class.txt files. Because we do not have access to these files, if anyone creates their own weapons/monsters/etc, they can no longer access specific game features.
4. A complete list of scripting commands, and an updated (and more in depth) tutorial files. What is the point of allowing modding if everything you can do is a secret.
5. The "fixes" on the list, specifically that you can not script the recovery of BP's, correcting the charges for non-ammo items, correcting the charges for scripted items, and the isBard/isPaladin, etc commands.

I believe this would be a good place to start. Now, if everyone still on the forums promises to try to mod a game once this is fixed, maybe they will listen. :)

or show up. :D
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Sign me UP for making a mod soon as Origen's very modest* requests are implemented! :D

*apoligies fur making such a modest pun
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Probably just punishing myself by showing up here again, but it seems that I still have some hope for modding left in me.

Here are some items that I sent to Shifting Suns that never got a resolution:

- PlaySpecAudio does not work with just any audio file, but I can find neither rhyme nor reason as to why some files work and others do not. Is this releted to code not available for modification somewhere?

- Garnish textures do not appear within cells defined with a height of 2 or more (only an issue for indoor zones i.e. zones with a defined ceiling.)

- Still wishing for true anti-magic squares that prevent all spell casting. Current anti-magic is just an extinguish trap and does not prevent recasting.

- Would be nice to have the ability to define walls that are impervious to phase door and maps that prevent teleportation. It's too easy for players to walk outside of the map if they can blow away any wall.
Last edited by Rickstavern on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Good suggestions. I forgot about the Phase Door walls, but that is pretty important. I was actually just reading some posts since I was bored, and was wondering what happened to you.

While it seems like some issues may not be fixed, I will be modding the best that I can in hopes that eventually someone will fix these issues.

The other thing that I would really want is the ability to script a monster joining your party, but I decided to just focus on fixes instead of features for now. They will probably be the easiest.
cutterjohn
Townie

Post by cutterjohn »

origen wrote:Well, I haven't seen any action on this, but since it was last updated in January, I will re-address these issues in the hopes that the "new management" that we heard whispers of a few months ago (although we have yet to see any evidence of this) may see it and help out.
Well, seeing as the Shifting Sun Studio page now lists Devil Whiskey, Mordor, Demise, and some other game which is NOT listed on the games page it would seem to be likely that Decklin got his sticky fingers on Devil Whiskey too.

This is not good as he is still flogging the latest Demise patch(1.03, bug fixes and incompatible multiplayer code) as some sort of "new" game from the original CD(v1.01 which I own, and Decklin is still tryng to flog as some sort of completed "boxed" set...). This was originally started by the original author because of a spat with his publisher which only screwed the customers, and Deckling, apparently hasn't seen fit to correct this oversight. (I decided to buy nothing from the original developer ever again as this was a disgusting move on his part, and now by extension Decklin/Shifting Suns/etc for continuing with this sharp practice... this is right up there with Dung Lord "collectors edition")
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Oh, boy. Sounds like the Demise of Devil Whiskey! :o :(
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

You can't get the boxed version anymore but the downloaded version is still available. I think the DW people are giving up on the DW. They are moving on to other projects. That's sad. they should at least make sure that people can get a CD version of the game with a manual. This should be their priority to make sure buying customers can get their own copy of the DW. I was going to buy another CD of DW for a friend's birthday present but i guess that's not happening now.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah--right on! Seems whoever's running the DW/SS ship should at least make the game available via CD+manual.. if they don't want to deal with stocking & handling/shipping, they could easily upload the CD files & manual to somewhere like CafePress & sell via them.. (may have to sell a nice printed manual separately via the 'book' option at CafePress or wherever)

offering a full-fledged 'boxed' version might be trickier..
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Thought that I would give this topic a nice friendly boost to the top, in case anyone who can actually do any of this shows up. :D