Crush Spammy-Fake 'forum members'

Post here and share with us your suggestions:
What would you like to see in a future upgrade?
What would be ideal for a sequel?
What doesn't work well (be nice about it)?
What would be an interesting add-on feature?
Graphical elements..?

Moderator: Admin

Forum Spam-Bots: Groovy or Gruesome?

Bring on the Spammers! Wheee..
No votes
Block/Delete/Crush Spam-Bots! Wheee..
78%
Spam-Bots are people, too. Be gentle.
11%
I am a Spam-Bot. Just lookin' 4 luv n all incorrect locales.
11%

Total votes: 9

Growler
Necrolord

Crush Spammy-Fake 'forum members'

Post by Growler »

Not that there are any admins still out there to deal with this & not that this is any big deal, but it's annoying Sir Origen. I can tell..

There's a bunch of (likely) bot-produced fake forum members somehow signing up here....they Never post, but they've all got randomy names & locations listed, along with ICQ #'s, & of course: bizarre websites--all containing hyphens within their absurdist domain names..

Hopefully, no one will click on any of the websites since that will only encourage more spam-botty 'members' signing up here...& thus further annoying the estimable Origen. (whom we're trying to help stay focused on actually playing DW all the way thru & then reporting his journey step-by-step, blow-by-blow.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Well personally i havn't had any problems with this issue, but probably due to the fact that i'm not clicking on sites that i'm not sure of. But i guess you might as well kill the bug before it bites.
hafen
Townie

Post by hafen »

That musst not be (onyl) spammbots. In russia, japan and in the USA people get paid for imitating a spambot and misuse communitys. Another fact is that the newest versions of this spambots are able to read and understand this funny "visual Confirmation"/Captcha".
Onen i Estel edain, u-chebin estel anim.

-Aragorn to Arwen-
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Good points...just seems like mostly automated automata that's auto-signing up.. Seems the 'challenge' confirm/authentication systems need 2 B beefed up.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
cutterjohn
Townie

Post by cutterjohn »

Spam doesn't seem to be a big problem here, but if you want to see somewhere with a real spam problem take a gander at this site:

http://hmdt-web.net/forum/
dragonbait
Stalker

Re: Crush Spammy-Fake 'forum members'

Post by dragonbait »

Growler wrote:Not that there are any admins still out there to deal with this & not that this is any big deal, but it's annoying Sir Origen. I can tell..

There's a bunch of (likely) bot-produced fake forum members somehow signing up here....they Never post, but they've all got randomy names & locations listed, along with ICQ #'s, & of course: bizarre websites--all containing hyphens within their absurdist domain names..
Recently i too have been seeing these bot-personas infecting this site. Although probably nothing will be done about it since the DW developers and webmasters are listed MIA. but yes it is annoying and they always have both a first name and last name listed as their DW forum nicname. So we've got a whole bunch of DW users listed but not nearly half as many DW users. Just more of an annoyance more than anything, but i'd say kill those evil bots.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Slam the spam.
Can the spam.
Ban.. the spam.
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

I have deleted 50 or so 'spam IDs' today ... changed the default to require admin activation which should mean no postings. Working through at least 50 more ... the bots will be manually sifted for a while before we can change the scripts so they cannot log in automatically.
Decklin (The Twisted Dwarf)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Awesome.. Thanks, Decklin. We gotcher back! (her suit or nada)
Grodst
Townie

Post by Grodst »

Wonderful to see some interest in this great game again....at least from the dev side!
Grouchy Old Timer Passes By