Open Source Devil Whiskey?

Post here and share with us your suggestions:
What would you like to see in a future upgrade?
What would be ideal for a sequel?
What doesn't work well (be nice about it)?
What would be an interesting add-on feature?
Graphical elements..?

Moderator: Admin

To Open-source Devil Whiskey, or not--that be ye Quest!

Yes! Open-Source the Game for the Luv of God & All that be Good!!
100%
no. why bother.. the world is ending in 2012.
No votes

Total votes: 13

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

End of discussion!

The Grate (& All Mitey) O-man (Chaney, ya fergot the critical '-' aka, hyphen) hath Spoken!*

*technically, ..hath Typed!

Good ta c z olde Origenator back in half-action, at least.
And he's come back.. modest!? :? :?

wassup wid dat? :shock:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
ShadoKnight
Nomad

Open Source

Post by ShadoKnight »

He all ;-) It appears this is the summer for returns... I haven't been on much, I admit, but I'm trying to be more regular now, and I'm working my way through these topics...

I support the Open Source route fully - see my other post on the issue (sticky thread in general discussion, I believe). I'd be happy to help get it up, and even help out with Q/A and bug fixes as I have time - it's been a long time, and I have no 'legal' connection to the game anymore, but it will always be my baby in many respects ;-)

P.S. Assuming Decklin doesn't mind, I'd be happy to post any of the constants used in the game, such as experience tables and such, as those are fairly readily accessible... but he'd have to give his nod first...

SK
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

A connection to the game? Forgive me, if I have forgotten, but what aspect did you have. I only remember the story writer, but this screen name doesn't sound right. Either way, I hope Decklin is listening(reading) this. He was a gamer before all this started, so hopefully he remembers that. If you are still out there Jykler, your 2 cents might go a long ways toward this endeavor.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Multiple D-merits fur Chaney!! :o

(fur fur-gettin' The Awesome ShadoKnight!) :roll:

ShadoKnight, thanks for checking in and offering to help!
Hope Decklin will see fit to allow your request..

Much appreciate all your hard work on the game and feedback here :D
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
ShadoKnight
Nomad

Post by ShadoKnight »

Heh - well, Chaney may be forgiven, I suppose, if he isn't an old-timer - after all, I never did forum-post much. For those who don't know (and who don't bother to check the other post) my real name is Justin Binns, and I was the lead programmer, CEO of SSS for a while, basically gave up my nights and weekends for 3 years to make this thing real... and now I've got a daughter who loves to play it ;-) Reward enough... but still, it's amazing to me to see all you guys still enjoying our effort, and I'd be more than happy to help out when I have time...

:)

SK
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

A thousand apologies Justin(not a single damn one to fuzzbutt though). Did you guys have any of the material for the planned sequel?
ShadoKnight
Nomad

Post by ShadoKnight »

No problem.

No - we talked quite a bit about it - the idea being that we'd clear the Dwarven Mines that lead to the rest of the island, and have a much larger game universe to play in. I admit there's some appeal to doing exactly that, but we'd need storyline, art, and lots of people willing to put together detailed game maps. Of course, this could be a fan-driven effort - if Decklin want's to make money doing it, we could possibly set up some sort of system whereby folks who work on it get a free copy... I don't know. The engine is pretty solid - I mean, there's bugs, and having 6+ years of additional experience at this point I'd love to re-write the whole thing - but it does work, so we could use it (with some fixes... Open Source engine?) and build out a sequel...

SK
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

SK,
That's so cool your daughter plays and enjoys it.
No doubt DW req'd incredible amounts of love, sweat, tears, and numerous touches of magic. ;)

All the more reason for Decklin to work it out so a sequel could be created & easier for modders--bug fixes, etc! Especially now that you're back and showing interest in helping.. perhaps...leading a charge?? :P

Whatever happens, it's great to hear from you and hope you'll stick around and offer insights or whatever as you have time.
Cheers!
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Have you played any of the user mods?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Justin,
Unfortunately, I am one of the early players. I definitely recognize your name from the credits, but the screen name was as fuzzy as Growler's butt. I am thrilled that you have recruited the next gen of player from your household. My daughter also plays it, but she is in her teens. I am sure some of the original people from the game, would be willing to flesh out story. We have had on and off posting from craedus stonebeard, who I believe is Peter Cwienk(SP?), but not sure if I got the right name attached. He did a lot of the stories, histories, etc for the Arcanium.
ShadoKnight
Nomad

Post by ShadoKnight »

When I do play, I've got the Megamod installed, so I've done some of the community additions, but not all of them. I don't really have time to play games anymore, but I do pull DW out every now and then ;-)

Peter might be right, or it might be Wolfgang Diehr, who was our other primary story/plot/history author. I've got some other ideas for the engine, too - but of course, time is the enemy - in that I don't have any... :P

I'm happy to help out as best I can. Like I said in the other post, I could probably even lead the effort to get the engine online, but we need Decklin's blessing. I haven't contacted him directly yet, but one of these days maybe I'll drop him an e-mail and see what he thinks. I can't imagine releasing the engine (without the game assets) would be any skin off his hide at this point, and even releasing the whole thing would probably generate more interest and might give the community enough of a leg-up to build out a sequel, which he could in turn publish and probably make some money on...

Anyway, here's hopin' :D

SK
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

My hopes are getting a little higher.

I've already got a list of bug-fixes requests (giveBP being the most prominent one) for the time the source is released...

On the other hand, I HAVE to find some time to pursue my project of fixing the scripts. Maybe I should quit my RL job first ???
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

NOW, that's the spirit! :lol:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Ok, okay.. lettuce knot git carried a-weigh hear.. I can tell ya from experience that it was not (quite) worth it to quit all 3 of my r/l jobz in order to cheer-lead here 27/4..or...24/7? -whatever.. point is, Sum buddy's gotta Bring Home da Pork Rinds!

jest sayin'.. er.. typin' :?

:wink: 8) :wink:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Growler is Officially :cry:

This awesome game, with So much potential for further development, is being allowed to just (unjustly) dye on the vine.

Only thing I can think of at this point is to give up any hope, or see if some of us could go in together & purchase the 'rights' to the game--assuming Decklin would consider a very modest offer.

Think we can assume he's not making much on it, and has no inclination to open-source it and thereby fix issues & expand DW's potential..

Thoughts?