Open Source Devil Whiskey?

Post here and share with us your suggestions:
What would you like to see in a future upgrade?
What would be ideal for a sequel?
What doesn't work well (be nice about it)?
What would be an interesting add-on feature?
Graphical elements..?

Moderator: Admin

To Open-source Devil Whiskey, or not--that be ye Quest!

Yes! Open-Source the Game for the Luv of God & All that be Good!!
100%
no. why bother.. the world is ending in 2012.
No votes

Total votes: 13

chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Growler buddy, It is painfully obvious that Decklin does not give a flying F**k about anything to do with DW, or DW's following. I doubt he ever reads the forums. Simply politeness would dictate any response.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah, it's really a huge shame.. DW seems like an orphan owned by an unloving parent. Is it too soon to begin casting curse spells??
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
cutterjohn
Townie

Post by cutterjohn »

Stopped by again since I remembered to checkup on my games that are now under Decklin's control even though I purchased them before he obtained IP rights to them, i.e. Devil Whiskey & Demise...

Anyways, voted for yes to open source DW as Decklin seems to be INFINITELY more focused on Ascension, the Demise "sequel"/bugfix meanwhile DW continues to languish in virtual purgatory... be nice to be able to get the linux version up to parity with the Windows version and at least update some of the SDL stuff...

(Kind of wish that he's open source Demise as well, but I'm guessing not as he seems to be spending a great deal of time on Ascension...)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I remember someone on the forums lamenting the fact that he got control of DW. It seened harmless enough at the time, but he has taken DW on a Descension in the time since his Ascension.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Possibly the fact that there's only a handful left on these forums drives him to feel that DW is no longer worth any investment. Makes me glad I backed up everything, though since I'm on Win7 I doubt I could get it running properly.

Of course, the question remains as to whether he actually has the source files. It's possible that he only bought the IP and distribution rights, and does not actually have the source file. Given my faulty memory, I don't remember if he released any patches afterward, so someone whose lived here their entire lives will have to comment there.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

It runs fine on W7
slackmg
Townie

Post by slackmg »

I agree it runs fine on W7. I've got it running on my laptop (w7-32) and my desktop (w7-64). No issues with either one.
nesrats
Townie

Post by nesrats »

Opening the source to the community would be a great way to go. I'm certain some sort of agreement could be retrofitted to allow both DW and Demise to exist in an OS community.

I am interested in putting in some moderate bits of help to revamp and restore the web sites and maybe help with some content.

Deck has my word that I will help with the web fronts and maybe with his blessing we can recruit help setting up open source accommodations. Technology fixes could be part of the release.

It might not be difficult to simply have two games based on the DW engine.
A full content DW game and an open source version that has the basic maps and sample art and music. Everything else would have to be community coordinated and released.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Starsen, er..Nesrats, that sounds great--excellent suggestions.. just doesn't seem Deck has any interest in doing anything with DW.

butt hoo nose--he may surprise us awe. :roll:

Dom, to my knowledge--no Official patches were released after Deck took over, but I think maybe an Unofficial patch (from RicksTavern--with help from 1 or 2 others?) & a couple mods came out A.D. (After Deck).
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Growler,
Why don't you buy dw from Decklin, and open source it. I am sure a furbutt like you must have noting but cash. :)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Cash my furry s'arse!
In This economy??

Ok, prolly got a few mil lying around..stashed under the piller in one of the dankier caves.

Seriously, I thought about it, but doubt he'd be willing to sell it for anything reasonable. But if I did buy it--I'd immediately declare it Open Source! And figure out the details later. :D
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

And that is why u r everyone's favorite furbutt
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I'd buy it, but souls of the damned have dropped in value drastically. I'm forced to subside on IRS agents (who have no souls to speak of).

Seriously, if I did something foolish such as win the lottery, I'd probably buy the rights myself. I'd probably just release it as freeware open source however, as I doubt it would be worth the effort to promote sales.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Dom, please tell me ya meant to type 'subsist' on IRS agents..?

And since when is winning the lottery = foolish?
Unlikely, yes--but 'foolish'??

But yeah, I'd prolly release it as freeware to booty.. then make Gazillions on swag. :D
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

subside, subsist, subserve, etc. They all work in this warped world of ours. :)