Rogue Poison Weapon and Ranger Alchemy skill

Basic lists of skills, new items and songs. For everyone's convenience, keep this forum on topic. We'll also answer questions about the above.

Moderator: Admin

skaven510
Nomad

Rogue Poison Weapon and Ranger Alchemy skill

Post by skaven510 »

Is the Rogue the only character that can poison Weapons? and the Ranger skill Alchemy is a bit alusive in the manual in what it does. I don't have a ranger lvl 50 or a ranger at all, but this peaked my interest. Are there items that only the ranger can make?

Plus one last question

PSK vs Ranger or Rogue Which is better iyo

I always go with PSK just because they sound so dang cool. The PSK has to be a female because it only makes sense, my girlfriend is always able to read my mind. That sucks when I'm trying to lie to her about being sick and not wanting to go see her parents again :( :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Anyways, since I never played a ranger and only now replaying with a rogue in my party instead of an additional elementalist. Is this a good choice? Should I have 3 spellcasters again instead of just 2 and get rid of the rogue?
Despite all my rage,
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hopefully someone else with a better/fresher memory can tackle yer first couple o' questions..

I gave up on the Ranger early on in the game, and later came to partly regret my Rogue--he just never got the hang of hiding in shadows & skilled at lethal kills, even tho' I got him up to a pretty decent level (mid-40's) & long had all the Shadow gear. But he was still kinda fun in the mix.

Being doggedly pragmatic, it's hard to beat 4 tanks in front (so can wield Perfecto Longo Swordos), and 2~3 ele's + 1~2 arc's in back.

The revised game (v2.0b or c?) added some decent new Ranger gear, etc.. so that may be worth checking out.

Also seems my PsiK guy (ok, girl) never quite performed up to snuff either.. but really depends on your style of play--do you want variety & extra complexity :?, or just plow efficiently thru? :twisted:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

The Psi has lesser telekinesis, then telekenisis at higher levels. These are good for hitting groups. I didn't much care for the ranger either. If you craft an amulet of quickness for the rogue-make sure he starts with good dex, he is pretty good with the deathblow when he gets it. He is also capable of equipping the champion stone which adds 10 to his strength.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

My Rogue had very high Dex (in fact, all my guys get sooper-hi dex ;) ) and later got an Amulet o' Quickness to booty, but he always had a hard time successfully Hiding first--& usually, by the time he'd managed to hide his arse, the battle was basically over. ggrrrrr... even having all the Shadow gear didn't seem to help--or much. Oh, also kept his his Luck jacked via.. ya know.. ;)

That Champion Stone rocked!! Give it to a guy who's already Strong & then toss in a Perfect Long Sword along with enough levs for lots of multi-hits & Bam! -could do several hundred points of damage per round.

The sweet cry of Havoc.. before letting loose the pups of war..
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

skaven,

The psi-knight and the ranger are both 'must haves' in v2.0 for a full party adventure starting from scratch. The ranger's quickbow abilities to take out strong enemies in the distance within 2 or 3 rounds is critical while you are trying to build up to the powerful distance spells, until level 25+. I originally had in spot 5, but then tried him in spot 4 and he survived well enough to serve that role, allowing me 2 arc's and 2 ele's (1 each for full spells advancement and 1 for repeatedly skipping ahead at each 12th level to try and get closer to the elusive warlock and isomancer ranks in v2.0). :roll: The extra 100 or 200 SP from the added mage makes a huge difference in endurance in the dungeons.

The psi-knight's various telekenesis attacks at the different ranks above level 13 seem to be a must have as well for taking out numerous enemies in critical fights and when magic is low or otherwise occupied. Couldn't imagine going through the game without one.

If you're playing a small party adventure, for extra XP, I would go with the psi-knight over the ranger in a second, since the psi-knight can use the PLS and telekenesis attacks while keeping a high AC, but the ranger has to unequip both the shields and PLS to use the quickbow.

btw, agree with Growler that all front line char's incl. mages should start out with 18 DEX, or at the very least 17, if in the back row.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Good points re: Ranger & Psi-Knighter.. may have to reconsider if I play again from scratch.

My general philo-sophy re: war-mongering is simple: the best d-fence is a kick-arse Offense, thus need Hi-Dexy to get 1st lix in. If you can knock 'em out before they strike, then you can move right along.

As Origen has pointed out, in some rather rare situations it can be helpful to have 1 or 2 guys slower so they can strike After an enemy moves into range, but Dex affects more than just 'who strikes first' so I consider hi-dex vital all round.

Peace out, my fellow war-mongrels! :twisted: :P :twisted: