Short Swords vs Long Swords

Basic lists of skills, new items and songs. For everyone's convenience, keep this forum on topic. We'll also answer questions about the above.

Moderator: Admin

Long Sword or Short Sword?

I'll take the Shorter, but 2x faster Sword, yo.
50%
Not me, give me a nice slooow Long Sword--even if it means going add'l rounds & dying.
25%
Ah.. 6 of one, 1/2 doz th'other.. who cares to maximize damage?
No votes
I'll go with Another option--specified below, yo.
25%

Total votes: 4

KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

IIRC, "+10 dmg vd undead" got removed because monster-specific damage didn't work.

What I meant by 'mundane' was actually non-unique, so about anything goes; that said, I'd like to keep the lists short, because the interface will be clumsy enough as it is (I can't script the usual shoppe menu).
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

How does one create what is in the inventory for the shoppe?
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

For the regular shops, the item definition includes which shops sell it.

For the one I intend to create, I'll have to write a script with the shop's menus. Concerning the new uniques, post your ideas here, I'll create the items when I write the mini-mod.

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Cool re mundane items :D

Here's what I've got so far:
simple changes to existing items..

BlueSilver & Rune Gauntlets have the same -5 AC, so Rune Gauntlets should be -6 AC (then in turn, Star Gauntlets improved to -7 AC)

Thunderhammer: ST requirement lowered from 25 to a more reasonable 20 (otherwise, practically no one can use it)

QuickBow: make qty=2 available at Starfire shop rather than just qty=1

Elf Bow: currently only listed at non-existent 'Elves' shop, so make available at Starfire.dat 2 (qty=2)

Elf Arrows: increase qty to at least 50 (from 10) at Starfire shop & maybe another 20 or so at Valor shop (can't craft these--and the high price provides a barrier)

I can make these changes to the current items_BL2D.txt file & email to you if that helps?
But I'm not sure if it's that simple?

New item..

Type: Ammo
Name: Magic Elven Quiver
TypeID: ??? (perhaps 900?)
Description: This luminous Elven-enchanted quiver never runs out of speedy, bulls-eye Elf arrows.
AmmoType: 1
StatEffect: +8 AT
StatEffect: +1 DX
StatEffect: +1 NAT
Class: Ar Ba Bb El Mo Pa Pk Ra Ro Wa
Damage: 5d4+4
Charges: unlimited
Value: 160000
Shop: starfire.dat 2

[note: the price is very high = 100x the cost of 20 Elf Arrows]

KSS, do you have to go the script route--or is it at least possible to simply add new items to the items list and have them show up in whatever existing shop their definition indicates (Shop, Imperial, Starfire, &/or Valor)?

Like for the 'new' quiver I listed above--is it possible for it to show up in the Starfire shop without any extra scripting?

I understand that you want to create a new shop--which is great--I'm just wondering for future reference.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Ok for the Rune Gauntlets.

Thunderhammer : I changed its charges to unlimited, so the high st req is supposed to compensate for that.

Quickbow : ok

Elf Bow: I plan to a stock it at my new shop, so it will remain unavailable for now.

Elf Arrows : ok

Magic Elven Quiver : what, does the Magic Quiver found in Druid's Challenge (TM) not satisfy you ? I think I'll go pout.
Edit: I could make it the unique ranger item (so class would be limited to Ra)

As for your question, it's easy to add new items to an existent shop, but I'll still go the scripting way: the shop is supposed to be slightly difficult to find (yes, a riddle !), and the unique items will still require some work from your party...

BTW, I've started scripting the shop's menus, learning a few things about Python in the process; I'll try to work a little on it this w-e (noughtwithstanding the little monsters )

chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

If they are scripted, is it still possible to use the .txt items file to change shops, etc.. I believe in the BT remake, he used the script to make the shop.
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

The regular shops are special events, and will be available as before. Scipts don't affect the games resources such as items, monsters...

chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

you are referring to the items_BL2D.txt file, correct? I looked in there, and did a little test. I added the shop to the obsidian arrows info. It did add them, but then other items were changed.
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Strange... What other items were changed ? Was it with an existing party or a new one (perhaps changing the inventory of a shop you've already visited is problematic) ?

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

KSS, rock on--thanks. :D

Understand the need for high ST for Thunderhammer, but who can legitimately get 25 ST? -could a human warrior get that high without cheating? A Saurian can roll pretty high ST, but then is limited in wearing magical items (rings, etc) that could boost its ST.

in v2.0, the cheap & plentiful Champion Stone (available at General Shoppes) accidentally granted a +10 ST, so that made it Super-EZ to bust thru 25 ST, but that item got busted back to something like.. +1 ST.

Whatever's cool.. whoever implements changes should have final say.

Sorry about the Magic Elven Quiver! That's something I've been wanting to add since playing DW back in 2004/5? :)
Working on building a new crew to tackle the Druid's Challenge, so have only seen the Magic Quiver in the items file--looks great! Just long wanted one specifically for Elf Arrows is all
While would be great for more than just a Ranger (esp since my new crew lacks a Ranger), that's cool..

Look forward to (finding) your [[hidden shop]] ! :P

uh-oh.. little monsterS??
someone's been busy.. ;)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

It was an existing party, and it changed items in my characters inventory. When i copied the original over the modified, everything returned to normal.
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Chaney: strange; perhaps you used an old version of the items text file, with ids not up to date.

Growler: just checked, and my human paladin had 29 st, so its definitely achievable (belt of Samson st helps, along with other st boosting equipment).

And the 1yo monster is actually KSS junior mk3 (TM); at least that was what I wanted to call him, but my wife demurred (she preferred Rumplestiltskin).
So yes, there are 3 of them.

chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

There is not txt file in his version. I opened the items.dat folder, but have no clue how you would manipulate that. If you have the zip file, look inside, there is no items. txt file.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

KSS, ah--had forgotten about the Belt of Samson.. should've made my current crew mo'Pious!

Also this Titan Belt.. which would be great--but seems no way to get it.. not listed in any shoppes, and I searched the newest (MegaMod) monsters file & it's not listed as a drop item for any monsters.. so how'bout adding a shoppe for this? -but with a higher price since 7k seems pretty cheap for HULK-SMASH! Titan ST. Suggest at least 25k.

Type: Belt
Name: Belt of Titan Strength
TypeID: 43
Description: Belt for increased strength. A fashion must for the active adventurer.
StatEffect: -1 AC
StatEffect: +10 ST
Class: Wa Bb Pk Pa Ra Sr
Charges: unlimited
Value: 7000

btw, Rumplestiltskin seems a fair compromise ;)
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Chaney: the itemsBLD.txt should be in the data folder; it's the proper way to define and modify items.

Growler: I think I'll make the Belt of TS the unique for Wa (so it will be unavailable for other classes, heh heh; and it will be overpriced too, like all uniques); for the Ra I've chosen Aruiberu's B&Q (already in the items list but never found; I'll just extend the range to 60').

BTW, I've played DW too, the greatest BT-like in my opinion; each time I restart it with the same party I add points to archery, 'cause archery + magic quiver + Gatlin Bow = total destruction !

BTW2 : we compromised on Gabriel.

I've worked on my shop and devised a script to easily implement menus: now all I have to do is write an items list and a price list, then the script deals with the customer.

I've got the mini-mod pretty much worked out: you'll have to
- find the shop -> mundane items
- find out how to get a quest from the shop owner
- do the quest -> uniques