Download ability for game expires after a year!!

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

rnjeffrey

Download ability for game expires after a year!!

Post by rnjeffrey »

I did not know this. I recently purchased a new computer and wanted to download, legally,the game because I had not finished yet. I was one of the original buyers. So Renhall is finally up, and lo and behold, the download was only good for a year. Why is this? Does the Boxed set expire after a year? I think not. I paid for this game and now I will have to rebuy it again?! You are discriminating against your original buyers, since it was only available for download. Please excuse the rant, as I will never be buying another product from this developer. For the majority of us who legally buy software, maybe you should rethink your download policies. For any who remember me- I am the military nurse who was in Kuwait. Have fun

LT RnJeffrey
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey, RNJeffrey...the admin said somewhere on the site they were extending the 1 yr limit to 2 yrs now...so hopefully that means you can still download to your newer computer?

And if yours has gone past 2 yrs...then I would Hope they would extend it a bit longer--at least long enough for you to download another copy...if not, then that does seem wrong/bad, cuz as you said--the boxed version doesn't expire! And early buyers didn't even have the boxed ver option.. :?

That said, there may be some valid reason(s) to put some sort of time-limit..??

Anyway, I bet they'll work it out.. :D
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I, too, was a little surprised to find out about the 1 year limit. I hope there is a good reason, and it is not just about the money.

But, I have not had any problems with the game or the support, so I would have no problems buying another game from these guys.
FyL
Townie

Post by FyL »

should be noted it's the ability to download the game.
After downloading it, if you burn it to CD or put it on a Hard Disk somewhere, then it's fine.

It's not that you can't install the game again after a year, just that the ability to re-download it went away.

However, I'd imagine RN Jeffery will be taken care of ;)

and no - I dunno why I decided to come and read the forums today - first time I have since these new ones were put up-
Hi everybody good to see ya!.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Good point...one of the first things I did after downloading was to burn a backup copy on CD.
Still, considering nurses help save lives, it'd be really cool if the admin attempted to contact RNJeffrey with an offer to resuscitate his dying download attempt.. :D

FyL--great to see ya! :P
Worried you got lost in the Lair & we were getting ready to send a search party (6 hot elvin chicks) to find ya!

Btw, why did you decide to come & read the forums today? :wink:
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

FyL must have heard that I was here, so he had to come back.

But if RNguy sends an e-mail to [email protected], he can re-gain access to RenHall and re-download the game. Not everyone has access to burn CD's, and if he has a new CPU, then having it on the HD won't help.
Urukki
Townie

Post by Urukki »

Does the one (or two) year limit means that after that i also won't be able to download patches? If any will be made that is.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Good question, but at this point I'd be surprised if there are additional patches for DW a year or two from now..with the current (albeit still Beta) patch, ver 2.0 / 2.1Beta appears quite stable for most folks, especially if the somewhat hard to find hardware requirements are followed (such as having a dedicated, OpenGL-compliant video card) ...speaking of, where Are the hardware requirements listed?? (sure I've seen them & thought they were listed under either 'Goods' link or way down at bottom 'About' link, but just now can't find 'em! :? ~where o' where can they be?)