Resurrecting-how does in work in detail.

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Urukki
Townie

Resurrecting-how does in work in detail.

Post by Urukki »

Hi everybody, i just downloaded this game yesterday and i am having much fun.
I'm curious about how exactly resurrecting somebody at a temple works since i already had to do it a few times before reaching second level with any char.
I remember that Bard's tale there was a risk of losing constitution making the whole process dangerous, is it the same with Devil's Whiskey?
Does resurrecting carry any additional costs accept the gold you have to pay?
And if not, what can stop me from just repeatedly raising everybody from the dead? Will the death of the entire party end the game?
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

AFAIK, no CON loss in DW, and no additional costs except the dead character(s) not getting experience for the fight(s) they missed.
Only death of everyone in party will get you Game Over.
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Urukki
Townie

Post by Urukki »

Simple and fun then.
Don't you think it makes the game a bit too easy?
Heh, am i the only person in the world that enjoyed permantently losing my chars in a game called oubliette?
I guess limiting ressurections would be a nice idea, do the modding tools would make that possible maybe? An ironman mod?
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Quick way to make the game a bit tougher, you can play DW on the 'difficult/impossible' setting. But unless you're prepared to delve into modding--which surely has Some way of precluding/limiting resurrects...easiest of which might be to not have any Temples!

DW has (whether intentionally or not) quite a few ways of cheating...but that's part of the fun--trying to figure out all the ways, 'officially' or otherwise, to beat the game!
So reckon it's up to the player to self-impose limits.
or Not! :twisted: :P :twisted:
Last edited by Growler on Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

One of the major complaints about the mod that I'm converting is that it was way too difficult at level 1. That was in the Bard's Tale Construction Set, and it was possible there to script a Temple that wouldn't do Resurrection, or even not define any spell that could bring characters back from being dead.
I'm allowing Temples in "The Bard's Lore" to do everything that they do in Devil Whiskey, mostly due to laziness on my part. And I can't alter the spell list in some respects, although I could overwrite the existing four-letter codes I guess. :twisted:
One thing I'll have to address in the mod is the unintentional additional difficulty at level 1 caused by having random monsters in the starting town that don't drop any money. Very annoying to get torn to shreds by wild dogs, and only get experience for it - nothing to pay for the healing you need after.

As I've said before, if you want a challenge, consider playing with only one Half-Orc Hydromancer as the entire party. :twisted:
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

HG, how 'bout to help maintain a little realism, instead of changing to allow wild dogs to drop coin (Just Say No to Gambling wild dogs), let them drop a couple nice, jewel-encrusted collars which can be sold for serious coin. Always knocks me out of a game to get bizarre drops after a bruising battle. So stick to yer (original) guns! (mebe could decrease wild dog's dam age, so to speak)

Although it could make sense that Orks, for ex, drop something weird (say, shoe polish) since they might've recently fought & won it off a posse of preps. Just doesn't make sense for armless animals to be sportin' gold &/or great swords. :?
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

Growler, if that's the kind of realism you want, google "Kingdom of Loathing". I'm "Devil Whiskey" there. :D

Origen said something about reworking the monster list for a mod. But pending that, I was going to use the DW entries as a starting point and keep going. Will try to maintain some sense, e.g. huge rats don't normally carry anything except rat poop.

BTW Growler, what happens when you get to "0"?
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I like the Dog Collar idea... maybe they were once the beasts for the Wild Men or Nomads.
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

Growler wants to encounter the Wild Women. :wink:

Actually, because I couldn't figure out a way to script buying an arbitrary item from a character, you can't sell to the shops in The Bard's Lore. The alternative would be to modify the store stock in the item list file, and re-use the stores already in Rennibister. The good news is that number of an item you can buy from shops is unlimited. Bad news is that you're extremely limited in types of items available, so the list doesn't scroll. Perhaps reusing several Rennibister stores is worth the effort...
1 point 21 jigawatts!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

What I did was use Imperial Weapons as the only store in Skara Brae, and stocked it as I wish. That way, you can specify exactly how many of any item (or even an unlimited number) and you don't have to worry about complicated scripting.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

A Growler needs to encounter the Wild Women...please, just take my word on it. It's completely natural; yet anything but. Don't ask me to explain the gory details. :twisted:

Re: what Admin said about wild dogs (perhaps) once being beasts of burden for wildmen/nomads--right on, it's always cool when there's bit of connecting back-story among the monsters, environs, etc.

HG, looked for ya in the forum list at KoL (under 'devilish whiskers'), but couldn't find you.. :? Reckon you meant as a player in the game, but not on forums? Anyhow, looked like an amusing setup...tho' I re:bell at mixing Martinis with Mithril.. :wink:
The Wombat
War Monger

Post by The Wombat »

An Elven Martini?

No, a Perfect one!
"What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?" -- Maskerade.
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

Ooops! :oops: "DevilWhiskey" as a player on KoL, not on forums.

A "Perfect Martini", now there's a good item for both DW and KoL. :D
1 point 21 jigawatts!