Are the affects of bard songs described anywhere?

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Ziusudra
Black Claw

Are the affects of bard songs described anywhere?

Post by Ziusudra »

If this is a "wimp out" question (ignoring something I am supposed to discover in the game), then I really don't mind being told to keep looking. However, I've read everything in the Arcanium (I think that's what the library is called), albeit very quickly to avoid getting kicked out when they close. I've looked at the Devil Whiskey Website. I've played the bloomin' songs...

I just can't find descriptions of what some of the songs are supposed to do. Sometimes I find out the hard way--playing something in combat and watching the combatant have odd reactions, for instance. And of course, a few of the songs are listed on the Website (and described). But is there any authoritative, complete discussion? Or is it meant to be "learn as ye go, lad?" :?
Nuwa wadar-ma ekkatani. Nuwa sinda-on ezzatani.
novaheat
Townie

Post by novaheat »

Check the PDF manual.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

RTFM
Jal Phoenix
Townie

Post by Jal Phoenix »

They're in the manual, but I've not found them to be of any use whatsoever. In fact, I've just dumped my Bard for another Rogue. Got tired of him Defending in the back ranks because he was basically a useless drunk. :wink:
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Post by Ziusudra »

Origen,

As a technical writer (when I ain't wandering around in the Bronze Age), I've used the highly eloquent phrase RTFM, me'self. (I've the "King's English" behind the abbreviation a LOT. I write some of those ******* manuals, after all!) :roll:

It may be having downloaded the game after the great hack, when there was no Runny-blister or anything else. It took so darned much work to get the "F" thing downloaded that I never thought to look in "my computer," etc. But sure enough, there it was. Who'd a'thunk it? :oops:

I appreciate the responses, especially the G (for gentleman?) man who told me (off the forum) that it was a pdf file, where it was found, etc. Since I found it, I've enjoyed reading it, too. Nice sense of humor in parts. :o
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Post by Ziusudra »

Jal Phoenix wrote:They're in the manual, but I've not found them to be of any use whatsoever. In fact, I've just dumped my Bard for another Rogue. Got tired of him Defending in the back ranks because he was basically a useless drunk. :wink:
Well, I don't drink much, but I'm pretty much useless. I can't begrudge the poor Bard anything, as a result. Mine puts her enemies to sleep (usually) by song just like I do my students with lessons.

My Bard is actually a better fighter than a magic-song-users, though. Pretty impressive fighting and armor skills. I'm thinking of putting her in the front ranks for more fights.
Jal Phoenix
Townie

Post by Jal Phoenix »

I used that accursed Diit's Eternal Song once. It put my entire front rank to sleep, leaving me with a rogue in the shadows, two confused magic users and a drunk blowing on a bagpipe. I even remember what I was facing- 3 Dactyls, 5 Stalkers and about a dozen Gnomicrons, since those bastards only travel in tour groups. 'Twas not a pretty fight...
Olias
Nomad

Post by Olias »

Jal

I think your party or Bard needs better luck. I value luck a lot and I've rarely had my party fall asleep. YOu'll find "Diit's" song VERY useful later in the game.

I'll respond in a sec with the powers of the songs.
The Wombat
War Monger

Post by The Wombat »

I have a pretty good half-elf female Bard in one of my games. The trick is to pick one with a Charisma of 17 or better, as they gain extra powers. I find that they are like a rouge of obout 4-6 levels lower, plus the music magic. That and they have a better range of basic weapons and armour.
"What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?" -- Maskerade.
The Wombat
War Monger

Post by The Wombat »

Also, if you are mostly facing Undead, try using Undead Slumber instead. Not quite as powerful, but less risky to your own characters.
"What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?" -- Maskerade.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Charisma is most important in Bards. You will also want decent DX too so that you can get those notes out before the enemy starts to attack.

I use my Bardess as the main negotiator as well. By that I mean, she is the one with the guile to get the best prices on merch in the stores. I usually hire a human, elf or half-elf bardess, with Charisma and Comeliness around 17, Dexterity close or over that range and everything else decent.

Bards basically start as musical Rogues-fighters, but stop developing their Rogue skills after the Second Path (level 12)

They are good in the 4-5th slot as a backup fighter (decent armor) in case on of the front 4 perishes. If they are in the 5th slot, give them the best Bow and arrow set as they will be the ones using it the most. There are also some decent bard Instruments that grant other enhancements or spells. The "Lightning Lute" is one such instrument, that has been mysteriously uncovered in the lands outside the Renibister.
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Or for a greater challenge...

Post by Ziusudra »

After working my current party through, mebbe I'll go back an' try a half-orc bard with very low charisma and very low luck. I've been intrigued by the half-orc hydromancer ("Dude, snowball is da bomb!"), and this one seems similarly challenging. Or frustrating. Or, perhaps, a new variety of Purina Townie-Chow.

By sheer dumb luck I made my bard a female beggen with high charisma (mostly 'cause I figured she'd do well with the store-keeper types), and she's pretty effective. But yes, Diit's (Ditz?) Eternal Slumber still put my front rank to sleep when facing a few dragons. (It was the first time Ditz had ever "misfired." :shock: They've got intermediate luck levels, nothing really high.

But hey, reload is da bomb, too! :roll:
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

I still have a Bard in my primary party, and find that Branigan March does seem to improve the hit rate of the non-bugged members of the party (i.e. Str<30) vs. the tougher monsters, even at level 50+.
However, some of the other songs don't seem to be very useful, and I believe that the allowed instruments for each song are documented incorrectly (or my files are more buggy than I thought).
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Anyone found super-tithe-high luck to help?

I've wondered if there are dimishing (or zero?) returns once luck goes past 18~21 or so..?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Songs that don't seem to work right

Post by Ziusudra »

HGamer,

Speaking of instrument documentation, a lot of times I have the instrument, but I'm told I don't have it, etc. I've just always assumed I've missed something (as I earlier missed the whole *(&(*&T manual!)

Is that what you've found, or is your documentation concern something else?