Group compostion questions

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Alteri
Townie

Group compostion questions

Post by Alteri »

Hello all. Couple o' quick questions.

My current group is as follows:

1. Barbarian
2. Monk
3. Warrior
4. Paladin
5. Rogue
6. Bard
7. Arcanist
8. Elementalist

Would it be wise to scrap one in favor of getting the occasional wandering monsters that offer to join? (I had a Red Dragon offer, and when I was forced to refuse and he attacked, he almost ate half my party :oops: )

I'm rather disappointed with the Paladin and would most likely drop him. I am also wondering when my Monk is going to start producing in the melee damage department (He's currently lvl 16 and using an Elven Short Sword). Should the Rogue be in the first four so he can get to use his attack specials? Have I exceeded my first post allotment of questions yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. are there any Jabberwoks in DW? :wink:
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

In my opinion, the wandering creatures is a waste. They usually don't provide much offensive upside, and they also take experience away from your characters, since the XP is still spilt 8 ways, even if there is a monster in your party, who can't advance anyway.

My current front four consist of a Paladin, Bard, Rogue, and a Ranger. I then have an Arcanist and Elementalist as the 5-6.

The benefit of the Rogue's Critical Hit ability, once he earns it, is that he can do it from any spot, so he doesn't need to be in the front 4, and you would then have 5 attackers. I know the Ranger also has a Deathblow (although it can only be used 2x per day), but I am not sure if he needs to be in the front 4.

The Paladin has some good healing abilities, and can still use decent weapons, so I usually have one.

But, if you want some flexibility, you can try a Psi-Knight (Telekenesis can be a useful skill) or a Red Claw (they get high HP's, and have high Strength).

The Monk was pretty dissapointing to me, but I hear they gave him some better weapons in later releases/patches. The Fists of Death attack, which you are probably familiar with from BT (based on your Jabberwock question: the answer to that is no) happens very sporatically, and I didn't think it was worth it.

But, the devs did try to boost up some of the classes to try to make sure that there were no "weak" classes.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Alteri
Townie

No perfect group

Post by Alteri »

Thanks. It helps to know that the Rogue won't need to be in the front four to use his special. While the Monk has also been a disappointment, at least his AC is hight enough that he doesn't get hit that often. Otherwise, I've been trying to recreate a more original feel to my party. (Minus one unavailable Jabberwok :( )
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Re: Group compostion questions

Post by Ziusudra »

Alteri wrote:Would it be wise to scrap one in favor of getting the occasional wandering monsters that offer to join? (I had a Red Dragon offer, and when I was forced to refuse and he attacked, he almost ate half my party :oops: )...p.s. are there any Jabberwoks in DW? :wink:
First of all--hey, if he eats nearly half the party, then there's room for monsters to join. I don't quite see the problem.

Secondly--I'm still lookin' for the vorpal sword, long before I seek the manxome foe or rest beneath the Tum-Tum tree a while in uffish thought.
Nuwa wadar-ma ekkatani. Nuwa sinda-on ezzatani.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The Rogue can attack from behind ranks as a result of "hiding in the shadows"... If pictured, the Rogue darts away, hides and comes out for a surprise "backstab" attack.

Rangers make their deathblow attacks head on, which means they need to be in melee range.

The new patch has increased some of the skills for Ranger and Monks.
THe Warrior has some really powerful special moves and can wear the highest grade armor and heaviest weapons.

New Patch: Be on the lookout for special Barbarian hide and bone armor AND a special blade for the Bb's. You'll also happen upon "Saurian Armor" if you fight one of those walking lizards in the wild.
NTJedi
Townie

Re: Group compostion questions

Post by NTJedi »

Alteri wrote:Hello all. Couple o' quick questions.

I'm rather disappointed with the Paladin and would most likely drop him. I am also wondering when my Monk is going to start producing in the melee damage department (He's currently lvl 16 and using an Elven Short Sword).
The Paladin can cure poison even when he's poisoned himself which can save a mages and armies butt for big battles. So he's worth keeping in my book.
My Paladin was using a Perfect Longsword at Level_12.
There can be only one.
~Highlander
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Admin wrote:The new patch has increased some of the skills for Ranger and Monks. THe Warrior has some really powerful special moves and can wear the highest grade armor and heaviest weapons.

New Patch: Be on the lookout for special Barbarian hide and bone armor AND a special blade for the Bb's. You'll also happen upon "Saurian Armor" if you fight one of those walking lizards in the wild.
Admin, could y'all offer an updated .pdf game manual with the new patch-related skills, etc?

It'd be helpful to new & old players to have a consolidated doc with all the changes.. :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
The Wombat
War Monger

Post by The Wombat »

In the old BT series, the best attack for a monk was to drop any weapons and just use his hands, once he/she had reached a certain level.

Is this still true for DW and how far advanced does a monk need to be before this starts to happen?
"What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?" -- Maskerade.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah, that'd be good to know.

Anyone recall a similar description of the Monk in the first Wizardry?

But similar situation as here in DW-land, that the Wizardry Monk (even hi-lev sans armor) never lived up to his promise :?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I personally felt that the monk took too long to develop in DW. And, unlike his BT counterpart, his big hits were much less random. However, this was in one of the first releases, so he may have been beefed up since then.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.