Important INFO new players should KNOW

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

NTJedi
Townie

Important INFO new players should KNOW

Post by NTJedi »

Some information new players should know when starting the game. Hope this helps the new players:

1) THE ONLY WAY to get GOOD Fire Protection during battles is with a Pyromancer. For some reason a water mage(hydromancer) can not provide protection against fire damage.
Save yourself some time and start with one pyromancer.

2) Archanist spell casters will be your healer/cleric types. If you're interested in healing your party during and after battles you will need at least one.

3) You can begin crafting very powerful magic weapons and armor as soon as your mages reach level_13. You'll have lots of money to spend once you reach level_13 and beyond so toss it into making these magic items.

4) Bards do not get to learn Level_2 songs until after they reach level_13. So be patient... a bard isn't much use in battle but has songs which can be helpful outside of battle.

5) When talking with NPCs read everything very carefully and remember their name. Going back to them later for better direction of a quest will give no help.

(( I'm sure I missed some important tips so feel free to add to this list. ))
There can be only one.
~Highlander
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Also, RTFM!!! The writers spend a lot of time on it, and while it may be confusing at times, it does answer a lot of your questions before you ask them.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

2 of the most potent/effective spells in the game:

Geo's Level 1 DUST spell (blinds 1 group @ 10' for 1 round)
Pyro's Level BLLI spell (blinds ALL* for 2 rounds)

*some buggers will resist

Aero's Level 2 ARWI spell just keeps on rocking for low spell cost (4 pts), tho only works close up (10').

Crafting.
(aka, Item Creation)
It's the law.
Get crackin'.
Whip up a PLS or three.

Roll for high DEX for most if not all yer crew.
Sho' helps to get 1st swat (most of the time, tho' there are a few exceptions when it's advantageous to go 2nd).

If you don't feel like reading the manual, just ask Origen.
He's knows it well & is more than happy to answer manual questions.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Best to have at least your spellcasters with high dexterity. I find it advantageous to have the fighters on my team with lower dexterity so if my mages didn't kill everyone and the monsters at 20 feet away run up to my party then my slow fighters can clobber them once they get in range.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

That seems like a good strategery (All Hail Shrubbery! -sorry, jest on a roll with the 'all hell' bit) ya gots there...especially for the circumstances you describe, but then how often does that happen vs. ye olde hack'n'slash fast B4 the bad ones do?

Or, if you happen to lose a mage or duo, then you might really need yer battle axes 2 flail 1st..?

Seem to recall Origen prefers your approach? (All Hell the Mod-Master & Master of Mods!) :P
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I prefer the quick hack and slash approach. It is better off to kill them before they have a chance to kill you. While I see the advantage of hacking after they advance, this would only be an issue in the beginning of the game. After a while, you don't even want to give them a chance to get you.

I also like to split my magic users to have one with a high dexterity (who can either cure/kill before the action starts), as well as one with a lower dexterity (who can cure at the end of combat).

I hate when you cure your party at the beginning of a round, and by the end of the same round, they are half dead.

Of course, most of my knowledge is based on modding, and not the actual game.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hmm, interesting point re: having 1 MU who's slow 'nuf he can heal at end of a round.

But then if all your guys are quick & get in 1st licks, there may be little need for end-of-round healing, eh?

Generally seems optimal that a fast, effective offense provides the best defense. If the baddies are dead 'fore they get a chance to do any/much damage, then it's sooner to the Pub for belly-grubbin' grub! :P
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Also another good thing to do: This works well in my team since I have mostly elementalists and arcanists: When your team is trained high enough to start crafting items, you should create amulets of quickness for your elementalists and maybe an arcanist so they can cast their attack spells before the monsters get you, while giving your other arcanist (the one with the slower dexterity) an amulet of all knowing. This way you can have that end of the round healing. I have found that giving an amulet of all-knowing to an arcanist makes the spell mind vortex much more devastating. Although i guess you won't have that spell or the ability to craft things for a while if your just starting out. But something to keep in mind for later. 8)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

As ye may guess from my pref 4 hi-dex, I'm a big hairy fan of those Amulets d' Quickness! Everybody on my crew gets one.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Other than Perfect Long Swords, I haven't crafted anything. I guess maybe I should try some amulets.

Well, I am not playing the game now, but if I was, then I would have to do some crafting.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

The crafting turned out to be really cool.. provides some kick-arse items like the Zippy Amulet & Thunder-Hammer, not to mention the never-leave-cave-sans-one PLS.

Origen, did you ever play either of the 2.0x patched vers?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I never played the patched games, although I did use the patch on my mods.

But most of the changes had little affect to me since I already changed the XP values necessary, used all new weapons/armor/spells and monsters.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Speaking of mods, anything new to report? :P
Even if just plans, whatever..

(or you may prefer to discuss over in the mod thread?)
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

There is nothing to report. I haven't even touched the toolkit for months.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Well, now you've Gone & Done it!! :evil:

(made poor sweet Growler cry :cry:)