Installed 2.01a patch, can't finish quest now

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

pope
Townie

Installed 2.01a patch, can't finish quest now

Post by pope »

Hi,

i just started the game the other day, and recently installed the newest patch. I cannot finish the dwarf quest now. I am at what I believe is the end, and the encounter that I was having before I installed the patch is no longer there. I don't want to be any more specific for that for spoiler reasons. I cannot find any information about this anywhere else, and I am still waiting to hear back from support. Am I screwed or is there a way I can save these characters (even if I have to redo all of the quests. I just like the party.)

And in a totally unrelated question, are monks any good? Seriously, like other than an item mule. They were awesome in BT :(

tnx,

mpd
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

This may not be the best route, but if you make a backup of your 'savegame' file (just save/backup the entire 'savegame' folder), then you might try re-installing the original/pre-patch game...then pop that savegame file back in & see if that works..
Btw, think someone else recently mentioned a prob w/ the end of the Dwarf Quest using the patch ver..?

I wasn't too thrilled with the Monk I tried in DW, but perhaps I just didn't give him enough dev-time.. Still like having a Monk, tho..just for variety. And fun to watch his A.C. drop as he levels up.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
pope
Townie

Post by pope »

Growler wrote:This may not be the best route, but if you make a backup of your 'savegame' file (just save/backup the entire 'savegame' folder), then you might try re-installing the original/pre-patch game...then pop that savegame file back in & see if that works..
Btw, think someone else recently mentioned a prob w/ the end of the Dwarf Quest using the patch ver..?
In case anyone else is bit by this, the above advice DOES work. After uninstalling/reinstalling 2.0 without the patch, the encounter was there as it should be, and I had my 2.01 levels still as well :)
Growler wrote:I wasn't too thrilled with the Monk I tried in DW, but perhaps I just didn't give him enough dev-time.. Still like having a Monk, tho..just for variety. And fun to watch his A.C. drop as he levels up.
Mine is level 38 and does 1/3 the damage of even my bard. Monks are terrible in this game. Miss the hunter :(

thanks again for the advice!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Well, it was a ham-fisted approach, but glad it worked!

Have you experimented with various Monk-centric weapons? Think the beta/patch ver may have introduced a couple of new ones...& some at least have extra range (like 20' or 30') which can help.

What's your Monk's AC? ..& his/her Strength?
Have you tried any of the Monkey's special skills?

Reckon the Ranger is sim to the Hunter of yore...has a crit-hit/deathblow skill, tho' it's quite limited in uses per day.

But if you're serious about doing heavy & consistent damage--it's hard to beat (so to speak :wink:) any Strong char who can wield a PLS!
(Perfect Long Sword, a kick-ace crafted weapon)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
pope
Townie

Post by pope »

Growler wrote:Well, it was a ham-fisted approach, but glad it worked!

Have you experimented with various Monk-centric weapons? Think the beta/patch ver may have introduced a couple of new ones...& some at least have extra range (like 20' or 30') which can help.
I haven't really. I want her to use karate and karate she shall use!
Growler wrote:What's your Monk's AC? ..& his/her Strength?
Have you tried any of the Monkey's special skills?
I have played with the skills which are kind of 'meh' to me. Potions and items isn't bad, and probably the best part about the class for me. Her AC is -15 ( lvl 48 ) ST of 16.
Growler wrote:Reckon the Ranger is sim to the Hunter of yore...has a crit-hit/deathblow skill, tho' it's quite limited in uses per day.
That's my problem, I guess. The hunter in BT was more of an assassin-type character than someone who hunts deer. I guess the rogue has now assumed this role (really, really well, I might add.) Well, I guess that happened in BTIII but whatever. I just liked the fact that high level hunters crit hitted every time.
Growler wrote:But if you're serious about doing heavy & consistent damage--it's hard to beat (so to speak :wink:) any Strong char who can wield a PLS!
(Perfect Long Sword, a kick-ace crafted weapon)
I have 3 characters equipped already. If I had known better and used something other than a monk, I would probably have 4 :)

thanks again!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

You started the other day, and your monk is level 48??
Have you tried eating or sleeping, or have you just been playing straight through!?!
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
pope
Townie

Post by pope »

origen wrote:You started the other day, and your monk is level 48??
Have you tried eating or sleeping, or have you just been playing straight through!?!
I'm the guy who, at age 7, played BT for so many hours that almost 20 years later I can finish the game by memory (i.e. no maps required)

also, the 2.01a patch is what sent the levels through the roof. They were more 'normal' before that. I have put in maybe 15 hrs in the past week. I don't know how that compares to others.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

pope wrote:Mine is level 38 and does 1/3 the damage of even my bard...
..so how did Origen manage to bump your Monk up to lev 48 from 38? :wink:

Will have to start calling O-man, "The Leveler" or "Pimp my Monk's Level Ride" .. :D

But getting your party up around either 38 or 48 (regardless of the patchy influence) in about 15 hrs sounds good to me!
Took me at least 2x that long, but then I stopped to smell the Elven-grrl & Rose tail..several times along the way.. 8)