Bards :: Have them.. or Hate 'em?

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

How many peeps have a Bard on their crew?

I have a Bard. They can do more than drink!
69%
I hate a Bard. They be good fur nothin' but drinkin!
23%
What's a Bard? (not really an option)
8%

Total votes: 13

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Are they Isomancers yet?

Also, I believe the Spell Points you receive when you level up are based on your characteristics, so if you use items that boost your stats, then I believe you get a boost in your SP's when you advance levels. But I am not positive about that.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Seem to recall it made no difference re: SP-increase if my mages had any intelligence/wisdom-boosting items when they went to level up.. anyone else notice a difference? Or anyone looked into the code?

And did any stats other than intel/wisdom affect SP-increases?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Growler wrote:
dragonbait wrote:..So now I'm playing with only the following.
1 Half Orc Isomancer (+600 spellpoints)
Curous 'bout yer choice of '1/2-Orc' for a magic-user?
Any particular reason? (reckon he'd be physically stronger than say an elf or gnome, thus helpful early in the game)
All through the time that i've played this game i've had numerous magic users. I liked the idea that i was able to make a half-orc mage. something most games will not allow. I have trained numerous arcanists and elementalists to high levels, and then brought in new mage recruits and trained them to high levels as well just for fun. But i always have the same 2 characters that i have had on my team since first starting the game. Those 2 are my half-orc elementalist and my gnome arcanist, so they have gotten the most experience points out of all of the characters that i used. 8)
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Ziusudra wrote:And I'm curious how you got him so high for spell points. My lands--I've been playing for quite a few game-days (months, I suppose), and my elven and gnomic spell-casters are only about half that high!
My half-orc isomancer as well as my gnome arcanist has seen the most battles of any of my crew, current or past. My current XP for my half-orc isomancer is XP= 14948195
SP= 627
HP= 179
AC=-23
lvl 50(1)
IQ = 26
LK =19
and currently have equipped the following
Amulet of All Knowing
Mage Hood
Star Bracers
Cloak of Elvenkind
Pyrowand
Leather boots
Rune Gloves
Luck Shield
Mages ring
Rune Dagger
8)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey, not bad...not bad a-tall! :wink:

Averages out to ~12.5 Spell Pts per level-up..

Did yer 1/2 Orc Iso start averaging more SP's after IQ &/or LK were equipment/tithe-enhanced?

Also, did anyone else ever reload the game if a char got sucky HP &/or SP after a level-up? (confess I sometimes did :oops:)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I never really kept track of how many spell points i got per level, before or after i got the equipment enhancers, but my half orc- iso usually got good level-up scores. I think maybe the fact that her luck was 19 might have something to do with it since i had another mage who with enhanced equipement that put his IQ to 30 but didn't get as high spellpoints but i can't be sure exactly what is better to have when leveling up. IQ or LK.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Growler wrote: Also, did anyone else ever reload the game if a char got sucky HP &/or SP after a level-up? (confess I sometimes did :oops:)
Although while playing games of the past (the forgotten realms gold box games + dragonlance series gold box games) I used this practice of reloading if I didn't get a good level-up score, but I haven't really found the need to do so in the DW. Maybe cause it's not as difficult, but mostly because it's such a pain to level up and then reload if it's not up to par. I don't really bother with that anymore. 8)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

I got to where I could do the ole reload-4-better-lev-increases pretty quick.. :wink: It was just kinda frustrating time-wise (esp back with the older & slower level-up tables) to finally reach a level-up but then get only a few HP's &/or SP's.. Just didn't have the time/patience to do it the proper way & accept fate's fickle pointy sys.

If I were to play thru under the newer/faster lev-up tables, think I'd go honest.. :|
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Post by Ziusudra »

Growler wrote:I got to where I could do the ole reload-4-better-lev-increases pretty quick.. :wink: It was just kinda frustrating time-wise (esp back with the older & slower level-up tables) to finally reach a level-up but then get only a few HP's &/or SP's.. Just didn't have the time/patience to do it the proper way & accept fate's fickle pointy sys.

If I were to play thru under the newer/faster lev-up tables, think I'd go honest.. :|
These Fora USED to be places where we wouldn't hear such language as "honest."

Why on earth play a game if you're going to do it THAT way? Might as well stick to real life and get your *donkey* kicked out there as in the game!
Nuwa wadar-ma ekkatani. Nuwa sinda-on ezzatani.
khwaounju
Nomad

Post by khwaounju »

I have a bard. And he can do more than just drink. He can provide us with music, but other than that he kind of bites.