Bards :: Have them.. or Hate 'em?

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

How many peeps have a Bard on their crew?

I have a Bard. They can do more than drink!
69%
I hate a Bard. They be good fur nothin' but drinkin!
23%
What's a Bard? (not really an option)
8%

Total votes: 13

Growler
Necrolord

Bards :: Have them.. or Hate 'em?

Post by Growler »

Dragonbait was wondering how many folks have a Bard on their crew, so I'm trying my luck with Poll-crafting...we'll see how it goeth..
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Seems to work for me.

Personally, I loved the bard, but I made sure I created a few BT Fire Horns, which really made him worthwhile. I can't say anything about the DW game, though.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Lord Greybeard
Townie

Post by Lord Greybeard »

I have a Bard - Char #5 (2nd row), pretty good w/ a bow, Bard tunes, and can pick-pocket. Overall not too bad - seems more usefull than the one in BT - but in DW its easier to take one along w/ 8 char. slots.
If anything can go wrong, it will... Murphy's Law
"Murphy was an optimist" [prlc's Law]
Gagorr
Orker

Post by Gagorr »

Yep , i love my bard. I imagine my party's bard to be the female actress, who can play songs, shoot arrows, and look pretty while her mate, the male ranger is a handsome human who can deathblow baddies and their manager is an elementalist. They met five psy-knights on the road and their romance flick turns into a sci-fi adventure.

Got a little carried away there. Anyway, i love the bard. :)
uwaaaargh!
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

Cool. I like the poll. We should have more of these. I don't like the bard however. Had him in my team for a while but just didn't seem worth it to keep him around. Had to keep starting up a new song every few seconds practically. Plus he's not much good in a fight.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Well I just put my vote in, giving the bard a thumbs down. I did like having different music going on while wandering around, but i wasn't too impressed with the effects of the bard songs although I my bard never reached the 4th expertise level since i had kicked him out. Were any of those song effects any good? And he's not as good at hand to hand combat (which is to be expected) and i can't be bothered with having to keep purchasing arrows for him to use. I guess I just like to use massive firepower with some occasional brute blunt force. 8)
Gagorr
Orker

Post by Gagorr »

I must say the Diit's Eternal song is my favouritest bard song. It puts a lot of enemies to sleep (even bosses) and you can proceed to hacking and slashing dazed enemies (i love imagining this part :twisted: ). My bard is in the seventh slot so enemies would have to rip through the psi-knights first. When facing enemies like the stalkers which are hard to hit, i use the bard's march of bran to enhance the party's
attack efficiency. I also use an amulet of dexterity to make her sing fast. The bard saved our arse a lot of times especialy in the guard tower boss which had many yevils and stone clerics.
uwaaaargh!
usha

Post by usha »

I just started recently and I have a bard. I like the bard. I like having his music playing while i'm playing the DW game.
Gagorr
Orker

Post by Gagorr »

enjoy the game, dude.
uwaaaargh!
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Post by Ziusudra »

Yep, I like my bard. She's my best friend. She's my only friend, even though she's fictitious and lived (well, is supposed to have lived) in the days of ancient Sumer.

I need a life... :cry:

But anyway, the bard is a fun character for me. I keep trying different stuff with her (different songs in different situations, etc). She is best with Proud Mary, giving my all-girl band quite a boost in combat. Yeah, firehorns would be nice, but I'm not creative enough. When I don't want to bother with songs, she seems like a halfway decent archer.
Nuwa wadar-ma ekkatani. Nuwa sinda-on ezzatani.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I've decided to give my bard a second chance, that is as long as he shares the Devil Whiskey brew with the rest of the party. My warlock destroys all the monsters anyway so I have room in my team for the bard. So now I'm playing with only the following.
1 Saurian lvl 51 High talon (Dragonbait)
1 Psi Knight
1 Bard
1 Half Orc Isomancer (+600 spellpoints)
1 Gnome Warlock
1 Human Summoner
8)
Gagorr
Orker

Post by Gagorr »

How did you get that dragonbait to lev 51? ooh :shock:
uwaaaargh!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Gagorr wrote:How did you get that dragonbait to lev 51? ooh :shock:
Just keep on fighting and you'll get there.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

dragonbait wrote:..So now I'm playing with only the following.
Curous 'bout yer choice of '1/2-Orc' for a magic-user?
Any particular reason? (reckon he'd be physically stronger than say an elf or gnome, thus helpful early in the game)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Post by Ziusudra »

Growler wrote:
dragonbait wrote:..So now I'm playing with only the following.
Curous 'bout yer choice of '1/2-Orc' for a magic-user?
Any particular reason? (reckon he'd be physically stronger than say an elf or gnome, thus helpful early in the game)
And I'm curious how you got him so high for spell points. My lands--I've been playing for quite a few game-days (months, I suppose), and my elven and gnomic spell-casters are only about half that high!
Last edited by Ziusudra on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuwa wadar-ma ekkatani. Nuwa sinda-on ezzatani.