Who knew that there was a game to go with all the modding!?!

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Who knew that there was a game to go with all the modding!?!

Post by origen »

Well, I guess after all these years, I will finally try to play Devil Whiskey straight through. I know this is a bold task, but I will resist the urge to begin modding my game to create better items for my bard, and I will also avoid adding my own character pictures since the ones in the game have gotten boring (not because the ability of the artist, but only because they have been the same pictures since the game was released, and I usually try new characters.) I will play through exactly as the developers (you remember them, right?) intended.

So why should you care, you may ask? Well honesty, you probably shouldn't. But I am going to document my journey here for others to enjoy.

So, with my next post, I will begin my journey.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Day 1:

Well, this should be a pretty simple update. I just downloaded the game and the latest patch. I am just about to open it up.

More to come...
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I created my party, which consists of the following:

Half Elf Paladin
Half Orc Warrior
Dwarf Ranger
Human Psi-Knight
Half Elf Bard
Human Rogue
Elf Arcanist
Elf Pyromancer

That is probably all for today. I will begin adventuring tomorrow (perhaps).
khwaounju
Nomad

Post by khwaounju »

Just to make it more interesting for when you are telling your story, what are your characters names?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I was going to post screenshots, I just haven't done it yet. Off the top of my head, I don't remember all of the names, so I will add them when I get home.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, here is a screenshot of my starting party. I took some gold, and got some basic equipment, accepted Leughamen's request, and are now ready to find Naris. It should be pretty simple to find him, since I know where he is.

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

After a 2 round, 25 minute battle with some Cruemen, I realized that my computer is way too slow to handle the animated enemies. I will have to load the non-animated enemy textures before I continue.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Cool idear, O-man.. :P (& clever modality 4 postal-bumpin :wink:)

So yer playing the 2.01a version?

Be interesting to hear feedback re: patch-related changes, stability, etc. Looking forward to reading this thread..
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, first thing I notice is that the beginning of the game has gotten a little more difficult. I remember the first time I played I just beat the crap out of the Guardians of Rennibister, and quickly advanced to level 13. Even at beginning levels, the enemies were not much of a challenge.

One change is that most enemies now have a ranged attack, and they are causing more damage.

ANother change is that you do not get as many Guardian encounters. I used to get them pretty rapidly, but they are not as often.

I have actually lost a few of my characters, but I have managed to get them to level 3.

I think I will take a break for tonight.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Don't despair o' Wizened One; I did some patchy beta-testing last year & found the beginning much harder than before & also lost several chars before finally (via luck & pluck) got them leveled up enough to consistenly whip some town arse. Level 3~4 should about do it.

Get a couple of those Mutorc's Throwing Hammer/Axes?
That'll help knock out the ranged meanies.. esp when they refuse to advance like good civilized fighters :evil:

And don't get caught out at night with a newly green crew!

Think you'll start getting many more Guardian encounters after another plot point or 2, right?
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I saw the throwing hammer (which I figured was a new weapon), so I picked one up. I also noticed that the "eelballs" were gone. Those helped many an adventurer in their time.

So far, I got a couple of people to level 3. I just had to alter my fighting style a little to compendate for the newer enemy tricks. You used to always be able to count on them to run right into your swords advancing, but now they keep shooting me with crossbows.

One thing I believe I noticed is that when the enemies are shooting at me, the messages don't seem to make sense. I can't recall specifically, but I will have to be more aware next time I am playing.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

origen wrote:Well, here is a screenshot of my starting party. I took some gold, and got some basic equipment, accepted Leughamen's request, and are now ready to find Naris. It should be pretty simple to find him, since I know where he is.

That's great that you can post images on this forum. I wish that we could just post the images from files from our home computers instead of first having to put it up on a website, as I don't have a website myself.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

It would probably take up too much bandwidth to allow for that to happen.

What I did was opened up a geocities page (or any free hosting site), and just upload my pictures there and then link to that. It is really not that difficult.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Ok, O-man...we're awe waiting with baited Dragon-breath for yer next postie! :P Let's keep this baby whimpering--I mean, humming--along!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, I am up to about level 5. If I had known that the Guardians were so much more difficult, I would have waited, instead of taking my level 1 characters on this quest. I have to keep running against large groups of Guardians, and have lost a few lives.

I also replaced by Psi-Knight with a Red Claw. My Psi-Knight kept dying, and it was getting too expensive to keep reviving him.

I am starting to get more competitive, so hopefully I will be easily whipping these Guardians shortly.