Questions to the Admins...

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Questions to the Admins...

Post by Meanwhile »

Are there any new marketing/advertising to get more people informed about the DevilWhiskey? and are there any sequels or additions to the DW planned or in the works for the near future? And I know that there has been a "change of the guard", but about how many people are there still with shifting-suns? or whomever is working on the DW projects at this point. Is shifting-suns still around? Their main site seems to be in shambles.

-Meanwhile
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

Hi there .... we're slowly getting things back into working order, moving the site and forums to a new host. Decklin's Domain is helping Shifting Suns and we will be doing some advertising as and when we can, once everything is working.
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

# of orders per month?

Post by Meanwhile »

You've said that you have 200 boxed versions of the DW. Curious to know how many orders for Devil Whiskey are being placed per month? Has there been any increase in orders since the DW has switched its host to Decklin's Domain?
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

For a while the link to purchase the boxed set was disabled as we had no manuals, but we recently printed a batch sufficient for the remaining stock. Since the link was re-enabled orders have started coming in again. I don't expect a flood of orders by any means but we've had 5 in 4 weeks which is a good sign :-) I don't know anything about the download situation though.

I have listed Devil Whiskey in Google Base but have not yet re-activated any significant PPC - there's a lot of behind-the-scenes work on the site(s) ...
Decklin (The Twisted Dwarf)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Is there going to be a sequel? Are there going to be fixes to the tool kits so that people like origen and Rick can finish and/or create new mods. Will the open source libraries be released as promised? Do you have anyone else besides you working on this? If so, how many and what is their status?
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

Truth is we're concentrating on getting the websites and other services back up, the first priority is to support what we have right now. It will be a few months before I get to see the 'state of play' and determine what can be done and when.
Decklin (The Twisted Dwarf)
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

So for these 200 copies of the DW that you have, does the CD have version 2.0? 2.1?
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Good thread--& GREAT to be getting some admin/Decklin responses!! :P

I'll repeat & add to a previous thread in case this helps with marketing ideas..

As for the 200 boxes available--has anyone tried getting Medieval &/or Gaming shops to carry them?? Sure some would.. the owner of a local Medieval shop here was/is heavy into D&D gaming, so betcha he'd consider carrying a cool game like DW!

Also, could sell them at Renaissance Fairs around the country.. (mebe even give out the Demo on cd's for free--or a nominal amount like a buck)

And try selling bare-bones CD's of full game for say.. $10~15 (which would thus be nearly all profit since CD's cost a dime in quantity). Mebe nclude a randomized alpha-numeric code with each that could be used like a coupon code to access RenHall.

~ ~ ~
There's a Renaissance Fair starting this weekend (in Raleigh, NC) & then next 2 weekends as well...might be a Great place to sell some DW wares since so many there will have played D&D..

here's a link if you or Decklin are interested:
www.ncrenfaire.com

& here's a local medieval shop that might carry yer wares:
http://camelot-treasures.com/about.htm

(the 'about' link mentions the owner's interest in D&D ) :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hey Decklin, or whomever is in charge of making decisions over at shifting suns,.......how about creating a wikipedia.org entry for the Devilwhiskey? and links to the DW from current wikipedia entries such as the bard's tale, might and magic, etc. It would attract more people to the DW site and maybe get more people to become Devilwhiskey fans and purchase the game. An official DW wikipedia entry from actual DW developers would be best, though if need be, us DW forumgoers could create an entry 8)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Good suggestion, Dragonbait. Wonder if some other sites could be worked/leveraged as well? Such as:

Digg
MySpace
Friendster ?
etc..

Social-networking sites & such..
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

A MySpace page would be easy enough to set up. I'd be willing to do it, save for issues mentioned elsewhere on the forums *cough*cough*.

As to the others, I've never bothered with any of them. So I can't comment.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Decklin, it is time to answer the hard question! Are you going to release the promised code yet?
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I don't think that's a question decklin can answer, actually. He's the site admin, not all of the devs. Since it's my understanding that the entity as a whole owns the code, it would require the entire entity to release it, and that's not something Decklin can do solo.

So the hard question is, Is Shifting suns going to release the source as promised or not?

I wouldn't expect and answer though...
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

So any legit reason Not to go 'head & release the code??

Only thing I can think of is that they're worried about losing money...but I don't see that happening--my guess is that it could go the opposite:

They release the code & thereby grow the user base.. just shift their income model.

Would anyone else be willing to pay/contribute in some alternative way to help the devs continue dev'ing?

Thinking of starting a poll to that effect.. & also solicit ideas for alternative income models based on a game with open source code.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I would. I would want some assurance that it wasn't lining their pockets, but going into actual development.