Growler's Challenge!

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I agree with Growler that Jy Blaste's descriptions are excellent! A great read with some highly detailed info. 8)

And it must have taken ages to be able to train your solo rogue past the first level. I'm sure the amount of times he must have died prior to being able to train was too many to count. :shock:

+ It's great that there's been new members and activity here at the DW forums. This game is too good to be left behind. :P
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Big update on the impossible rogue challenge:

Phase 4 and 5 complete in v2.0!!! Slithered my way through the shadows of the cellars, running from all fights until the final fight, with about 160 HP at level 25 and no other company in the party. Got the elf arrows ready beforehand and BOOM: huge boss fight with the Black Claw Warlocks and Fire Elemental and other nasties, and just barely won. Took out the Fire Elemental in the first round, and then went after the Black Claws for 6 or 8 rounds until they keeled over and died finally. Then took some hits while switching to the blade and went after everyone else, one at a time, with 50% health left. By the end, still had 25% health left and GOT THE RING! With new AC of -18 and still with luck of 100, easily made my way back up to fresh air, running from all fights.

Leveled up to level 27, healed, took a night off at the bar with some fine Beggan waitresses, and headed into the catacombs (Phase 5). With AC -18 and 180 HP or so, the catacombs were unbelievably easy, even for the single rogue. Hacked my way straight to the final fight and easily took the Amulet. Not many mage types in the catacombs, so that favoured the rogue's strengths. Took one bad beating from a Landvetier (sp?), but I learned my lesson after that. Phase 5 complete! Yoda was very impressed.

Next stage will of course be the journey out to the Dwarf caves to get the instrument, which should be tough. A bit of very disappointing news for faithful readers of this impossible quest: I boiled up a potion of "Greater Healing" sucessfully, only to find out that it cannot be equipped or used in v2.0. This is obviously an awful bug, and hopefully someone out there has a good fix for it. Without the use of potions, I don't think the rogue will have a chace against the dragons and the poisons. Tried selling the potion to Garth and buying it back, but it still could not be equipped (and could not be used without being equipped). Very frustrating. May have to settle for poison arrows, not that I've tried to craft them yet.

That reminds me: can't find 'poison' ingredient anywhere in town! Anyone know where to find some? None of the ingredients in the store are the poison ingredient!?!

Thx for reading along, and thx for the nice feedback. If anyone wants to try this challenge, it certainly is very enjoyable and recommended. It has also been fun writing up the storyline (any future book publishers out there? LOL) As described much earlier, it was not too hard to get past the first level 1 fight once you buy the Champion Stone. You just need to somehow get to the store south of Yoda before the first fight. With some patience, it can be done.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

p.s. an all-monk party challenge is currently in the works, with the current idea for the challenge being to reach the final game screen in as few days as possible on the Orkneyan calendar (monks are incredibly efficient :) ), starting with a new game in v2.01b, with exactly 8 monks, of exactly 8 different races. [Saurians cannot be monks, all others can, begrudgingly]. You'll have to choose which attributes to sacrifice in order to even achieve a level 1 monk in some of the more unorthodox races. You'll also have to plan ahead on which of your hodgepodge of young multi-cultural monks will form the front 4, vs. the back 4 weapons tossers, and which attributes will be best suited for each.

I've started to play with this idea and its lots of fun, and not an easy choice. The AC ranges tremendously for monks, depending on the class, as you'll see. The fights are actually quite easy with 8 attacks per round possible, so it's the strategy that counts.

I'll be starting a new thread on this challenge for those interested. I welcome your new ideas and variants on the challenge, or rules, before we officially start the challenge. See the new thread for all future posts on this topic.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Jy, any progress? :)
Growler's been outta the DW loop for too long!

Will seek your All-Monkey ;) party thread.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor