Growler's Challenge!

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Growler
Necrolord

Growler's Challenge!

Post by Growler »

Growler's Mangey Challenge:

Using v2.01a & no cheating, roll up a single mage (Arc or Ele), then see how quickly you can get him up to level 8. By level 8 or so, yer Mage should be reasonably self-sufficient & able to kick arse by then..

I'm interested in which Mage types (Arcs, Aeros, Pyros, etc) work best for folks & what strategies are most effective.

Let's post & compare our char-types, stats, equipment, spells, & combat techniques.

Also, which monsters are the easiest/hardest to fight early in the game. I'm guessing folks will pretty much stick to 'around town' munsters, eh? Or.. nada?

Rebels, crank yer n-jins.

Btw, I'd love to know if Anyone can get a solo Mage up to level 8 (or hell, even lvl 2 or 3) without getting stomped & thus reloading a few times...:twisted:

Hope everyone interested has or can get v2.01a?
But feel free to take the Challenge & post yer results regardless which version.. but please indicate which ver ya played!
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I'll be up to the challenge, but only after I finish my mod. I'm currently using version 2.0 + don't wanna mess anything up by updating to a later version. I'm just about completed with the second level. Gotta write 3 more scripts for it. Then only 2 more levels to go!

Also regarding Growler's challenge, it might be good to know what level of difficulty people are using, or maybe have a set level for the challenge. With only one mage I'd think he'd get killed off quickly though.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I don't have a Linux version, so I'm out. I'm not paying any more money to SS until the source is released.

Unless someone wants to bootleg WinXP for me, then I'll be in. I'm not paying for that either.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Code: Select all

[list][/list]
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

How do I post my stats pic in here?
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

dragonbait wrote:I'll be up to the challenge, but only after I finish my mod. I'm currently using version 2.0 + don't wanna mess anything up by updating to a later version...

Also regarding Growler's challenge, it might be good to know what level of difficulty people are using, or maybe have a set level for the challenge...
Cool.. as a sidenote: as long as ya install into a different directory, you can have 2 dif vers of DW on same pooter...at least I've never had an issue with such--but I've only tried it on 1 system configuration, so..

Ah, yes--Everyone Please set yer Difficulty Level to Average! (which is the default)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

chaney wrote:How do I post my stats pic in here?
Far as I know, any images you want to have shown here on the forum must first be uploaded to a website & then linked via the 'Img' tag.

If you (or anyone else) don't have a web-hoster, then I'll be glad to host it/image on my website--which you can then link to.

Just send me a private message & I'll respond with xfer info. :wink:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Domhnall4h wrote:I don't have a Linux version, so I'm out. I'm not paying any more money to SS until the source is released.

Unless someone wants to bootleg WinXP for me, then I'll be in. I'm not paying for that either.
Well, if Ever there was a less-than-lame excuse fur knot playing!! :roll:

I've had a similar thought about not paying for any more DW until the source code is released.

If it's any consolation, recall reading that one of the main DW devs switched to Linux a year or so back.. so that's kinda/not-exactly 1/2-way there.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Well, if it worked in Wine, that'd be one thing. But it doesn't work right. I'll try to reinstall it again, but I hold little hope for it.

I won't support a new game until SS honors their prior commitments to the OS community, why do you think I'd pay for a game I already have, even if it's not working under my current setup?

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah--meant to ax ya about trying via Vino or sim.. is there a newer ver o' Vino that might werk butter?

Btw, which Linux distro ewe using?
A couple buddies who have been deep into Lin-world for years now swear by (& occasionally at) Ubuntu. Plus, Ubu just released a new ver..

Ubu's R such sweet-hot vixens! :P
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

chaney wrote:How do I post my stats pic in here?
Here's Chaney's pic..
[Chaney, I realized I didn't give quite the right link since just a pic was needed]
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

It took a lot of perseverance to do this. I did a lot of early reloading, due to my untimely demise. I am seeing how far I can take an arcanist now. I am up to level 37. It is a lot of fun this way. You advance real quick. I am actually using version 2.01b, which is the RicsTavern corrected version of 2.01A. I found the nomads were my biggest enemy early on. I have occasionally let creatures join me, especially when I did not think I could survive the fight if I turned them down. Do not try the arena early on. I went there and the easiest fight they offered kicked my butt in less than 1 round. They do not make it winnable for 1 early level character.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I have the most current version of Whine, so unless there's an oddity where an older version works... :p

Thankfully, ADOM and HOMMIII work. Supposedly AoW works as well, but I haven't gotten around to installing it just yet.

I got openSuSE10.2. Which is an absolute failure. Of course, it's done by Novell, who sleeps with the enemy. So they need to be beaten and shaved bald and left to starve. Or something. At any rate, I'm going to try the latest Ubuntu version shortly, when I develop the energy to move. I'm intending to go with a dual-boot, running XP and some version of Linux. Linux for internet, XP for games.

Just to make a note, I love the OS, it's the lack of working software for it that pains me. There's no drivers that'll let my sound card work, Amarok won't install, Helix: Banshee is a POS so I can't burn CDs, and most games around for Linux won't install at all. However, everything that does work, does so very well, far better than Windows XP ever treated me. Maybe in the next year, there'll be enough support for it that I won't mind going back, but for now I'm aiming for another distro.

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

chaney wrote:It took a lot of perseverance to do this. I did a lot of early reloading, due to my untimely demise. I am seeing how far I can take an arcanist now. I am up to level 37. It is a lot of fun this way. You advance real quick. I am actually using version 2.01b, which is the RicsTavern corrected version of 2.01A. I found the nomads were my biggest enemy early on. I have occasionally let creatures join me, especially when I did not think I could survive the fight if I turned them down. Do not try the arena early on. I went there and the easiest fight they offered kicked my butt in less than 1 round. They do not make it winnable for 1 early level character.
Thanks fur playing & posting!

Yeah, my guy (a 1/2-elf pyro) died approx 100 times before I could get him high enough (lvl 8 or so) to pretty much survive most around-town encounters.

The Nomads were 100% lethal for me up 'til ~7th level. So after trying & dying every single time, I just tried running.

Also noticed how the challenge level continued (somewhat) as my guy leveled up, the enemies also got bigger & sometimes multiple groups.

It's a fun--if hair-pulling--challenge...at least on ver 2.01a & same toughness on Rick's fixered version I'm pretty sure.

Any tips on succeeding?

I'll post a pic & my guy's stats in a bit..

here's my Grrrl! She's a naughty pyro alrighty or wrongy..
(sorry, meant to grab a screenshot when she got lvl 8 or so)
I worked hard (well, hard as it gets rollin' rollin' rolling the dicers) to give her a good start in stat-life! :P
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Chaney, how high did you get yer Arc?

I've got my Ele up to about lvl 40.. going all the way methinks fur an Isomancer.

Have you been playing thru the plot--or (like me) just cruisin' round town & out in the wilderness--where the experience pts are good--get a lot for killing a few Saurians.

But those Green Dragons are sheer hell to kill! For some reason, Dragon Defense spell/s don't seem to be effective??

Plus, I'm surprised how oft my spells fizzle.. or group damage spells that only affect 1 or 2 out of a big group...something seems off & can't figure out what.

My base stats are very good--& I donate at the temple to jack my luck from 16 to 18.. My A.C. is quite low for a Mage (-14 with STWA in effect). And I've recently crafted an Amulet of Dexterity & a Perfect Robe..