Growler's Challenge!

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Decided that I am probably going to try this challenge after finishing the game and installing the mods. Just waiting for Origen to create a Shadow Thunderhammer that 'Cloake' can use.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Took my first run at the single rogue challenge: got all the way to Garthe's :) without encountering any fights, and got some decent AC for the rogue to start with, but then got wiped out in the first encounter with (only) 2 dwarves. better luck next time. this is going to take awhile to get past the first fight somehow with no cheating.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

On a good note, I'm looking forward to trying out the Thief's boomerang, once I get there in the distant future, and seeing if it has critical hit abilities for a high level rogue.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

the (secret) is....

save, save, save--after every single 'good' or helpful event.. then pick-axe yer way to the fini line 8)

let us know how it goeth! :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

that has always been the best strategy, ...along with weekly backups just in case.

just need to get past that first darn fight. my rogue is hitting for a wimpy 4 HP with the best basic goods he can afford at this point, so this is going to take awhile to get past.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

hopefully, he'll luck up soon and encounter a lone (or duo) townsperson to whip up on ;)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

I'll have to retry and spend all my initial money on that Champion Stone (or whatever it was) that only the rogue can use to increase strenth. That should hopefully get me (maybe) through a first fight, if I can replay enough times to find just 1 or 2 townspeople (may take awhile). If I can get eventually past that 1 impossible fight, that should bring in a few thousand XP (with one char only), and after that it should get easier on the next fight.

I'll be keeping a log on this as I go, in this thread. Definitely going to be the biggest possible challenge though (aside from tying his hands and feet and dropping him in a pool of Dark Vial liquid) :).
Last edited by jy_blaste on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I played with one Ranger for a while, and spend most of my time just outside the temple, healing almost constantly. That was before the latest patch, however, when all monsters were given ranged attacks as well. The eelballs came in handy as well during this time. But once I got a few levels, I started the Naris quest, and the following guards fights helped build him up real quick.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

small note re: zee Champion Stoner.. think all the fighter types can use it..

it's a Great feeling to Finally have yer 1 dude kick some tail and then level up..
btw, I rec'd saving-game just after winning Any fight early on! ..and mebe prior to level-up.. in case your guy (or girl, in Origen's case :twisted:) gets the shaft in HP or MP..
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Well, I DID it! Got the single level 1 rogue past the first fights and advanced him, with no cheats other than waiting for a relatively easy fight. Stage 1 of the impossible 'rogue challenge' is complete. Very exciting!

After saving the game after almost every square of moving forward, I made it to the shoppe south of Yoda's house without encountering any fights and bought the Champion Stone, which made all the difference in the world. I never bought one of these before, and should have. For only 13 GP, you get a massive bonus in strength (only usable by Rogues and Warriors acc. to Growler's website 'items'), which greatly increases the Rogue's hit damage to the point that each hit will wipe out one entry level monster. With the Champion Stone, the rogue survived long enough to get back to the temple and heal, and advance up to level 2 and 3. Without the Champion Stone, I don't think it would have been possible. The Champion Stone is a major addition, and is probably far too cheap. Should be more like 200 GP so that sacrifice is req'd to be able to afford it off the top.

After that, advancement was not too difficult, staying close to the temple at first to heal after every fight, and I was able to advance up to level 10 with no lost fights, and buy the best armour and blade available for the rogue at this point (Bluesilver short sword, Elven Shield, etc) and take on up to 10 or so Nomads or Dwarves or Townies at a time before needing to heal. Also, using the inn to avoid being out at night (not ready for any Lightning Mages yet). I took on a combined group of about 15 of the above, and got wiped out over the 15 rounds. Definately a good challenge. Hiding in the shadows didn't help too much, since you have to swing and are then discoverable (I even got hit while successfully hiding in the shadows, which shouldn't have happened, although now that I think of it, how many Dark Rogues have I wiped out in the past that were successfully hiding-I guess it might be a bug in the combat program).

Then started the Maris quest to take on some Guards and advanced up to level 15 and almost 100 HP. Now just waiting to get the 2nd note, so that I can go ahead with the first quests.

I'll have to craft up a Mist ring and some other major items and potions for the dungeons, if I'm going to try to survive there. I think the strategy will be: level up within the city, and at the arena, but when in the dungeons, just get to special items and get out avoiding all possible fights. The major fights in the higher dungeons will be next to impossible with a single rogue, even with a level 30 or 40 or 50 rogue, so I'll need all the helping items that magic can craft up. Up to this point, I managed to proceed with no added NPC's to the roster, but once it is dungeon time, I think it will be fair game to the spirit of this challenge to allow NPC's to join along and act as target practice. We'll see.

I bought an eelball but I haven't tried it yet. Any thoughts on other strategies for the upcoming big fights? I may need to waste a lot of time to advance to kick-arse levels before I can take on some of these big fights in the first dungeons.

Thx for reading along, and I'll keep an update going every once in awhile on this thread.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Awesome!

That was fun to read.. ;)

Seems like you've got solid strategies worked out.. only thing I can think to add (esp since haven't played recently) is to seek any method possible that could take out more than one baddie at a time..any group-effect item, weapon, spell??

Also, always good to try & take out the worst dude first. :P

Keep it rolling..
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

just some updates on the 'impossible' rogue challenge:

In v2.0 (average setting), with the Champion Stone, the single rogue is still kicking around town, up to level 18, thinking about heading into the dungeons soon. Just need to craft up some goods, and haven't had the chance yet while starting other quests to figure out XP for Rick.

however...

In v2.01b (average setting), with no Champion Stone (not avail. in 2.01b), I am redoing the rogue challenge which is turning out to also be a fun and difficult challenge. Knowing that there was no Champion Stone and that strength would be needed for the rogue, I rolled up a 18 ST 18 DX human rogue, and headed out on the impossible journey. After successfully getting an Elven short sword from Garth's before my first fight, to get double attacks, and making it through the first two fights alive, I leveled up to level 3 and then upgraded to hacking away with a Bluesilver short sword for a bit more damage. Only died twice before getting up to level 8. Can now take on up to 8 or 9 Nomads at a time before dying with fully available (purchasable) armour. AND, just discovered something very interesting: in v2.01b, you can buy the 'Mutocs Throwing Hammer' (sp?) from the store north of Duroken's (sp?), which the Rogue can use. This gives you the infinite uses distance weapon that I was looking for for the single Rogue.

Will keep going on these two quests and see how far I can get through the game. Will advise.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Major update on the impossible rogue challenge!

Unbelievably, Phase 2 and 3 are complete. In v2.0 (average difficulty, with the Champion Stone), at level 18, the single rogue was barely able to fight off the bad guys at Duroken's (sp?) house including the mage spells, and proceed to get the pardon and the improved cloak of elfkind. Phase 2 of the challenge complete. Went to Yoda to get the banestaff, to see if I could use it as a lightball when 'readied' as a secondary weapon, and found that I was able to.

Phase 3: Worked my way up to level 21 and headed into the starter dungeon (the Cloak quest), with no ability to disable traps in advance or create Mist or take out bad guys in the back row (can't afford yet to equip the bow and lose the shield). Didn't know how far I would get, and took some pretty big hits in the first few fights, and got wasted by Lightning mages. Hiding in the shadows didn't do anything at level 21. But, then decided to BE a rogue and ran from all major fights, taking on only 10 to 15 relatively easy enemies at a time (no mages), like spiders, thieves, senrats etc. With pumped up luck at level 22, the rogue started automatically disabling most traps that he sprung, without having to do anything other than walk right into them. A few bumps and bruises later from traps and unavoidable fights, with some visits to the Temple, was able to get to the transport sites for the 3 heroes and decided to go for it with only one level 22 rogue, -9AC, and only 115 HP.

Avoided every fight possible in the red dungeon and made a run for the main item only, knowing the dungeon very well by now and all other necessary clues and not expecting to survive many ghoul fights at all. Managed to disarm most traps and run from most fights successfully. Also managed to beat a group of 10 skeletons with straight hack and slash, and another group of 3 ghouls, 5 skeletons, and 3 senrats. Hiding in shadows was useless. After healing up at the temple, managed to beat 2 wraiths and get the item and get the hell out of there running from all fights. Then got the first ring, healed up, leveled up to level 24, and did the same thing in the green and blue dungeons, running from all fights and making a run for the final item only (remember, this challenge is to finish the game with the single rogue). Made it through both green and blue in one run, keeping about half of my HP, and got the cloak to finish the quest. Phase 3 complete with a single rogue! Fantastic. There is no a 1 in 100 chance of actually pulling off this challenge.

Now at level 24 and still not able to craft up anything good yet, and ready to try the cellars/catacombs quest soon. Worried that my AC is not low enough, so I'm loading up on Elf Arrows and a quickbow for emergencies. Still can't take on a Lightning Mage for my life. A bunch of Enchantresses stunned me for about 15 rounds until they ran out of SP and started throwing curses, letting me slowing hack them up too. Cellars is going to be tough. I really need that Ring of Protection at the end of that quest, but how to get it quickly? Hmmm... That Fire Elemental is going to make short work of me too.

Will update further next week. Thanx for reading along on the Rogue challenge.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Love your descriptions, man!! :P

It's like reliving all the fun sans much of the drugery ;)

Mutorcs? Throwing Hammer is def good to grab early on in the 2.01b ver.. it's a bit wobbly, but pretty effective and works up to ~40' I think?? Maybe further..

running from any too-tough fights just makes good sense--especially being a rogue.. allowing you to stay longer in the dungeon each time. Are there any ways you'll be able to heal yourself...via crafting or found items?

the really kick-arse Ring of Protection or sim (around -7AC) is often dropped by some sort of mage in the wilderness...that may be worth going for.

keep us posted, bro!
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Impossible rogue challenge update (v2.0, with Champion Stone, sans Throwing Hammer):

Well, the cellars outside Melk's Tavern have proven too tough for the single level 24 rogue. With luck at 90, managed to run away from most fights on levels 1, 2, and 3, taking on some smaller fights without too much damage each time. No great goodies for the rogue at this level. Hiding in shadows is still useless at level 24, even with a Shadow Blade and other shadow gear.
Got hit by some of the traps on level 2 and 3, but not too much damage each time. Went back to heal a few times and saved the dungeons as I disarmed or activated the traps, and retraced my footsteps in the shadows, heading straight for the final level. Only got killed once in the adventure in this dungeon on those levels.
On the final level, picked up some straggling monsters in the party who were quickly killed off, and headed to the final fight with arrows armed for the first round. Got wasted in that fight though. The rogue has little chance at this point against the Black Claw Warlocks (not that I thought I would have a chance against them :) ).

Need some more HP and some potions, or poisoned arrows, or something, and I can't just jump to level 26 from 24 without lots of fights, so may take a few tries. Am able to take out/withstand attacks from individual parties of Saurians, Enchantresses, Dark Thieves, and even Black Claws, but when they get together for a big fight, or the final fight, the rogue has no chance against the combined stun and spell attacks (can only take out one enemy a round with about 75 HP damage max per turn, and about 50 or so with the Elf arrows and quickbow). Had no problem taking out the fire elemental, but then everyone else ganged up and took me out. Maybe I'll take a stroll in the woods and pick up some fodder to deflect some attacks. (too bad I can't just walk into the guard tower and pick up a lone Stalker, those 1200 HP would be a nice shield).

At -10 AC, most enemies seem to miss their attacks at this stage, which is helpful to only take 6 to 10 damage per round. 150 HP doesn't get you too far in a big fight as a rogue.

Will update soon once I have found a way to waste the bosses in the cellars.