game length, character building depth questions

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Destinywand
Townie

game length, character building depth questions

Post by Destinywand »

Hey guys - I was wondering, is this game as long as a full Bard's Tale game? And is the character building/leveling as deep as the BT games? And can you save your game anywhere? (Like Bard's Tale 2).

also, will the creators of the game ever release any expansion material? Or is it just player created material that we will be seeing?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I would say that it is as long as a BT game. You can save anywhere. Press Esc and it will give you options. As far as character leveling and depth, You have spell ablilities that you will probably never experience due to inability to get enough experience points(unless you use the 2.01A or 2.01B versions). You are able to get new abilities as you increase to the next level plateau, i.e level 13, 25, 37 etc. It has a much easier interface than BT, but that is to be expected after 20years. As far as the creator(s), nobody on this forum knows why they have abandoned it. I believe that I speak for everyone here, when I say that if I had invented Devil Whiskey because I was a fan of BT, I would not abandon it for anything short of death. All of the developers at least owe us an explanation, if not a sequal.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Destinywand
Townie

Post by Destinywand »

Can you download a 2.01A or 2.01B patch, to upgrade the full game then? I thought at least one of the admins on this site would be one of the game's creators - no? I did think it was odd that the site hasn't been updated since March.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

This is the link in the forums for 2.01B
http://devilwhiskey.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=366
What version of the game are you currently running?
Destinywand
Townie

Post by Destinywand »

chaney wrote:What version of the game are you currently running?
I don't currently have it, just finding out more info on it as I'm a huge BT 2 fan from back in the day. I've played the demo briefly also.
Destinywand
Townie

Post by Destinywand »

chaney wrote:This is the link in the forums for 2.01B
http://devilwhiskey.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=366
What version of the game are you currently running?
I see alot of "use at your own risk" warnings for the 2.01b patch. is it stable, or does it have any negative effects on the game?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I have never had any.
Destinywand
Townie

Post by Destinywand »

what is changed in the 2.01b version as far as levelling, does it just take less experience points to level up?
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

Greetings fellow Bard's Tale II adventurer!

The beta patches corrected the leveling-up so that you can reach the highest levels upon reaching the end of the game. Also some new items were added and i believe the config or pic of an ogre? was fixed to avoid crashes.

But I've read that the beta patch 2.01a was very buggy. Rickstavern seems to have fixed some of the issues with the 2.01a and thus created the unofficial 2.01b. Seems to be the best version so far.

Regardless of the improvements that the patches bring, I would recommend that if you haven't already purchased the Devil Whiskey, to do so. You won't be disappointed. It is my favorite game since Bard's Tale III.
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
Destinywand
Townie

Post by Destinywand »

And it is safe to play through the demo and create a party, then transfer your party to the full game?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

If I remember correctly, the demo only goes to level 12 or 13. You can't transfer characters or your save game from the demo. If I am remembering this wrong, someone correct me.
Destinywand
Townie

Post by Destinywand »

chaney wrote:If I remember correctly, the demo only goes to level 12 or 13. You can't transfer characters or your save game from the demo. If I am remembering this wrong, someone correct me.
I had the impression that you could transfer characters/saves.
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

Since i have both the full game and the demo installed on my computer i decided to try out transfering my save game from the demo to the full game. I went into my devilwhiskey demo folder and into its savegame folder and copied savegame 1. Then I went into my devilwhiskey full game folder and into its savegame folder and pasted savegame 1 into it. I was able to access and play using savegame 1, however in the splash screen that is usually a blank black screen had the words......"warning compensating for corrupt shop inventory."

While it might be playable now, I really don't know if it would have any effect later in the game? maybe. maybe not. Unless some old timers know for sure, + i doubt that we'll ever get any response to your inquiry from any DW developers.

I believe the only people left is Jykler, who keeps the DW site up and online in between his/her day job, and Decklin who is currently the only one authorized to sell the Devil Whiskey. I think whenever "Admin" posts that it might just be either Decklin, or Jykler under the admin username. Think what you want but that is my opinion, and until we get an official response from any creators of the DW I see no other reason to belive otherwise.

Former DW developer Peter (finsterhawk/sparrowhawk) was nice enough to post on the Devil Whiskey yahoo group every now and then. Don't know much else about what is going on internally.
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Speaking on b-1/2 of the old-timers--tho not the Ancients such as Origen & HGamer & perhaps RicksTavern? --anyhew, I recall being able to take my demo crew's savegame file & copy it over right in to the full game version/folder without any hitch.. of course, at the point, the full game version was simply v2.0

but it Seems you should be able to drop a demo-based savegame file into one of the newer versions, right? hmm, or mebe nada....

RicksTavern would be a good one to answer this quest most definitively.

My suggestion would be to play around in the demo just enough to make sure you want the full game, then get the full game, download/apply RT's last update & then start fresh--that way you're sure to start with clean savegame file.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor