New Devil Whiskey Adventurer's Opinions??

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

New Devil Whiskey Adventurer's Opinions??

Post by dragonbait »

Hey all of you new Devil Whiskey Adventurers!

What are your likes/dislikes about the Devil Whiskey? Inquiring minds want to know. How did you find out about the Devil Whiskey? What do you have to say to the Devil Whiskey Developers? and what are your interests in any sequels of the Devil Whiskey? Don't be shy! Post up! Let everyone know of your opinions + wants for any new Devil Whiskey sequels! 8)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Well, I loved the turn based play and the ease of use. It was like a BT game with better controls.

I hated that they flat out abandoned it.

I learned about it from a Bard's Tale site, though I don't remember which one anymore.

I would buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

At minimum, release the code as promised. There are enough modders that it could be an awesome project.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Yeah I first found out about the Devil Whiskey through Mecandes' Bard's Tale Compendium site.
http://www.geocities.com/thebardstale/

they give a description on the devil whiskey on the Beyond the Bard's Tale section.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has not heard of the Devil Whiskey by means of viewing a Bard's Tale site. Anyone?

I enjoyed that the DW is turn based and also that the combat is the scrolling text style just like BT.

I too would purchase a sequel.

Ideas for sequels? more levels per dungeon. different places to travel to, swamps, forrests, places covered in ice. Maybe a traveling quest instead of being inside a town. Tougher monsters, and scarce availability of gold.

+ yes they should definitely release the code as promised.
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

I'd buy a sequel Devil Whiskey game too! :D

Its too bad that us old timers are the only people still coming to this site though. It'd be good to hear from someone new and not just newbies posting a quick question and then jetting out of here never to be heard from again. At least we'd know that people are still playing the Devil Whiskey. For all we know its just a few repeat players that found the game because they were fans of Bards Tale.
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I was able to get some info from one of the programmers of DW. He runs one of the many BT sites. Follow the link below for the info.
http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefil ... =1892#1892
Jonny Sacklunch
Townie

Post by Jonny Sacklunch »

Ok, so SS owns the code, and likely won't release it for free, as implied in that linked-to post.

However, it makes one wonder if an enterprising person or guild of persons could purchase it?

Also, furthermore, it makes one wonder how many gold pieces they'd want for it...

I can't imagine it'd be a terribly steep price, as it seems to have been abandoned and I doubt sales figures are enough to make them want to hold onto it... unless there's some great, secret development work going on for a sequel or something.

Donate now at "free the devil whiskey dot com" anybody?

Just a thought.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

The problem is the developers do not seem to even contact each other, much less us. Devlin now owns the both websites(I think), and after initial contact on the forums, seems to be nothing more than a game pimp after all. We had promises of attempts from him, but not a peep or an update for a very long time. It boggles all of us, how you could put as much effort into something like this, and just abandon it. That is the case however. I would be shouting it to anyone who would listen, if it were me.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Though, If we knew how much it would cost to get the code for ourselves, I would (probably) chip in for it myself, I think that has probably been already been aquired by Decklin. Maybe an email+post can be done to clarify the situation.
Jonny Sacklunch
Townie

Post by Jonny Sacklunch »

I'd chip too. However, it makes me wonder if Mr. Decklin has the rights to re-distribute the binaries only, or if he's got the source sitting around somewhere, as well.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I have come to the conclusion that decklin is merely a game pimp!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

chaney wrote:I was able to get some info from one of the programmers of DW. He runs one of the many BT sites. Follow the link below for the info.
http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefil ... =1892#1892
concerning the release of the code.

"
Devil Whiskey - The Bard's Tale Resurrected?
Posted by simoniker on Thu Sep 11, 2003 01:03 PM
from the also-see-horrible-gin dept.
PC Games (Games) Role Playing (Games) Games Linux
Tony Bybell writes "For the old school RPGamers, the 1980s Bard's Tale style of role playing is being unofficially resurrected as Bard's Legacy: Devil Whiskey. Check out the FAQ: a Linux port will be available immediately and they'll be releasing the code under an Open Source license after 50,000 copies of the full game have been sold." There's also a new downloadable demo available in both Windows and Linux flavors.

considering their lack of marketing for the game there is no way that 50,000 copies have been sold. Is there a way to track how many were sold? Decklin? Jykler? and how is Decklin advertising selling the game now?

info aquired on douglas b's site. hey I finally found a direct link to his DW portion of his site without having to navigate through the whole BT/DW portion.
http://www.bardstalk.com/mini/dwindex.html

have fun!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

My long-running quest has been this simple (perhaps, -minded) quest-ion:

"Why NOT release the source code?"

What harm can it cause at this point?
If DW sales are already low--then it's not like it's gonna matter, right?
And many of us have long said we'd still pay for various things such as support, updates, patches, mods, etc..

Imagine all the open-sourcers (sorcerers?) who would embrace it..
As it is, the open-source community has been turned off since the devs never followed through & released the code--screw the arbitrary 50k sale requirement.

My argument has been that releasing the source code will likely increase their revenue.

Though the dev'ers/owners may want to supplement with add'l DW-related merchandise such as t-shirts, stickers, calendars (imagine 'Hot DEVIL Girlz who love WHISKEY' = hotcakes), clew books, spell/monster/weapons'n'armor books..

*sigh*
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Saxon1974
Townie

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dang, I just bought the game and registered, and Im sad to see that it appears abandoned.

Seems like the people that played the game really liked it, so im a bit surprised to see it doesn't appear to have done very well.

I really wish these types of games were still being made.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Be not sad, oh Saxon de 1974 (BC or AD?), for there is magic left & right in this devilish game.. and there are those here who will support & guide you in the (generally) right direction upon yer quest.

And every sale such as yours may help bring about a new day with new unabandonded shores for us all to play upon, else prey upon.. ahhh, such is the bitter, bittersweet of this hack'n'slasher's armored life.

Also, a few folks here have made some kick-arse add-ons and continue to work on ever more--so take heart, Saxon--but not quite so literally.. not 'less it's the ebony heart of......
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Saxon1974
Townie

Post by Saxon1974 »

Growler wrote:Be not sad, oh Saxon de 1974 (BC or AD?), for there is magic left & right in this devilish game.. and there are those here who will support & guide you in the (generally) right direction upon yer quest.

And every sale such as yours may help bring about a new day with new unabandonded shores for us all to play upon, else prey upon.. ahhh, such is the bitter, bittersweet of this hack'n'slasher's armored life.

Also, a few folks here have made some kick-arse add-ons and continue to work on ever more--so take heart, Saxon--but not quite so literally.. not 'less it's the ebony heart of......
What add on's would you suggest?