Ranged weapon damage

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Jonny Sacklunch
Townie

Ranged weapon damage

Post by Jonny Sacklunch »

I just found/bought this game recently, and have been playing it like a fiend for the last week. I have my team of medieval "troubleshooters" up to level ten-ish.

I have observed that when I'm fighting myriad foes, it seems like ranged weapons used against me almost always score hits and inflict roughly uniform damage, whereas up close against those same foes( ie. cruemen, skeletons, nomads or anyone with throwing axes, really ) they score nary a hit against my low-AC'd group during a melee.

Is there some kind of modifier for ranged weapons that I'm not considering? Possibly different armors that work better against projectiles vs. regular arms?

Is it possible that my group are just really unlucky when encountering enemies with spears, bows and throwing axes?

I'm using 2.01b, if that matters.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

From what I've read elsewhere on these forums it seems there is an issue with monsters not having a +to attack, making regular attacks from low level monsters virtually useless against party members with (roughly) -10 or higher.

Giving monsters an added bonus to attack would fix the problem + allow monsters to hit party members that have high A.C.'s, but we would need the developers to intervene with that.

+ A.F.A.I.K. there aren't armors that work better with projectiles as opposed to melee weapons.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

+ by the way, Welcome to the Devil Whiskey! + Happy Adventuring! :D
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Plus there are mods made for the game, including the aforementioned Dragonbait, who has 1 under his belt and another in development.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Jonny Sacklunch
Townie

Hmm... so I've observed things inveresely and it's not that the ranged weapons cause too much damage, but rather that the melee attacks cause too little? Interesting. I'll just have to cope until I can get some better spells and defenses.

As a slight aside, I learned of this game a while ago while looking for a more modern version of Bard's Tale. The demo was fun but terribly buggy, so I trusted to hope and bought the full version, which seems to perform much better.

I'm enjoying the hell out of DW, and though I've gleaned that official support and releases appear to be at an end, the presence of such hardcore fans and modders here assures me that this quirky but excellent software will not become a true-life "Tale of the Unknown."

If there's a mod out there that'll even out the balance of ranged vs. melee, I'll apply it in a heartbeat.

-Jonny "Bologna Tuesday" Sacklunch
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

good to see some new adventurer's here at the DW forums!

DW is great isn't it.
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Jonny Sacklunch wrote:Hmm... so I've observed things inveresely and it's not that the ranged weapons cause too much damage, but rather that the melee attacks cause too little? Interesting. I'll just have to cope until I can get some better spells and defenses. ..
my (limited) understanding of the problem suggests it relates to an imbalance in this particular update/patch (2.01b, but possibly the previous ver as well) which allows those early-in-the-game ranged attacks to hit nearly every time & do too much damage.. the devs were apparently responding to the notion that they needed to make the monsters tuffer, but seem to've over-tweaked the ranged attacks..

I'm basing this on a vague mem of having done some beta-testing a couple years ago & corresponding with the main dev-dude a few times.. does anyone else recall this patch-related issue?

think there was supposed to've been a 2.01c that re-balanced the monster's ranged attacks..

btw, does this monster ranged-attack potency continue thru the game?
I only played thru the early part on the 2.01a/b versions.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Jonny Sacklunch
Townie

Yeah, it sure does. After reading a little more in other areas of this same forum, it seems that this is indeed some sort of bugginess. Makes it hard for my people to not get hacked up by even the lowliest ranged attacks, despite superior armor and artful dodgery.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yup--I recently played thru some more of v2.01a and every single Ranged Attack (against my 2 guys) connected! And usually for significant damage.

Gotta level 44 mage with high dex & -14 AC plus a level 9 fighter with very high CN & Dex and -22 AC, yet they both get smacked by every ranged attack. Even tried jacking their Luck up to 22 or so, but--no luck. :evil:

Sent these two briefly into the Castle where they quickly got creamed by a few War-Mongers who were doing 50+ pts damage every shot from ~50' away. Jeesh... or is it 'sheesh'?

If the source code for the game was friggin' released, then some smarter-than-eye folks could debug this ork pudding!!
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

fh'ork yeah! ork pudding
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

wench :D
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I beg your pardon, what did you say??!

I offered to help you. You refused to take our money. Then I said, I guess your really up ork pudding creek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WbrrUbAeU
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Did the issue with the Uber-successful monster Ranged Attacks get fixed in the MegaMod version?

From some low-level play recently, it appears so.. monster attacks appear generally stronger/smarter (compared with old v2.0), but not insanely impossible as with the v2.01a/b release.