Mods

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

In WinXP, you can scroll back the command line window.
But in any version of DOS, you can add "> junk.txt" to the end of the command, then print or view the junk.txt file at your convenience.
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

I'm running Win ME (or perhaps it's running Me..?), so your txt output command is perfect. Thanky.

One odd thing I noticed in the outputted file is this line near the end:
" Taireninaughninaugh => pics/monsters/Taireninaughninaugh.pic "

Didn't recall seeing that file, so ran a file-search for it which turned up nada..hmm

Guessing it's just a typo that never got fixed..unless it's Taireninaugh's long-lost (& cleverly file-hidden) twin sis.. :?

Also, some nicknames are listed twice (once w/ 1st letter cap & other lower-case) but point to same file, such as:
Aldorik => pics/monsters/aldorik.pic
aldorik => pics/monsters/aldorik.pic

Reckon it's nothing more than a typo...perhaps multiple folk working/updating same file..

Anyways, thanks for the tips--it's great to be able to access the pics outside the game...should help a lot with the once & future mod.. :wink:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Don't worry about that guardian statue. Your party dominance will probably not last once the new game is finished. Also, some of the town monsters can be pretty damaging, so be careful.
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

Have always wondered how the preview program worked. Now I know. Cool.
"Have no way as way. Have no limitation as limitation."
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

origen wrote:Don't worry about that guardian statue. Your party dominance will probably not last once the new game is finished. Also, some of the town monsters can be pretty damaging, so be careful.
Well, the worst townie mons so far are Wolves!
They attack en masse & they've got super-dex/initiative & can take big chunks outta my back row mage-grrls when they do their barbaric lunge-thing.. :x Very nearly lost a mage-chick to one of 'em!

So whachoo mean by "..once the new game is fini" ??

Sounds like a stacked pack o' cards up one Origenic'sleeve..?

Hmm..reckon I better kick hinderparts while the kickin's goot & bulk up rapido!
Btw, I solved my 'little gold' issue...he-he...Gambling is my friend. 8)
Can't decide if it was cheatin' or just street-smart?
-+-
Welcome back, Doug.. :wink:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Leandris
Townie

Origen's BT Mod is GREAT! Congratulations!

Post by Leandris »

Origen, your BT Mod is really great! I especially like the special apearance of "DavidW" and HGamer. I don't know the old forums that's why i don't know if "DavidW" was a DevilWhiskey player too or it is "David W. Bradley", maker of Wizardry and many other games?
I have some questions too:
I simply made a backup of my whole game directory, then copied your mod files in the appropriate directories (overwriting files with same names) and did load my original Devil Whiskey party. The game was saved after the end movie in the palace Renibister. I walked out to town and in front of the adventurer's guild in renibister. there i was teleportet in front of the scara brae adventurer's guild. Now i can play Bard's Tale with my high level DevilWhiskey party.
Now the Questions:
Does this make the game buggy?
Did you make special bard songs or spells and classes as in original bard's tale?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

The DW mod was just my first test, so I am completely revamping it. In the mod that you are playing, there are no extra bard songs (as far as I know, there is no way to create your own) or spells. There are some BT items and monsters, but for the most part, it is just maps and such. I am working on improving that, though.

There are actually a few of the old forum members we do make an appearance in the mod, such as DavidW. But I don't think he made wizardry or anything else...

Although he may tell you a different story.
Leandris
Townie

Post by Leandris »

Hey Origen, keep on the good work, i really like the mod.
Poor DavidW, he only had one shield for the entire party in these hard old times. I really like your humor :))
I have the following problem:
I met the Ogre statue, did examine it and fought it. When i meet any other statue (e. g. Samurai) and I press (Y)ES to examine i can't fight it but my party retreats. Did i forget anything?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

It sounds like you don't have the monsters.dat file, or perhaps not in the right place (inside the data folder)

There was some confusion with the XP folders, where these files are located. First, you need to decide which experience table you want to use. I included an easy chart, the standard DW chart, as well as a harder chart. Once you decide, open the appropriate folder and copy all of the included files into the data folder. That should take care of it for you.
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

There actually were some other mods created by some other "old forum" users. But except for some items created by "PirateJawn", and a test town map made by the "Bard's Talk" website owner, the BT re-creation by Origen is still just about the only thing usable.
I'm really close to kicking out a demo for "The Bard's Lore", but it has to take a back burner for at least a week due to going on vacation away from computer access. Back soon, and I promise not to show you the slides.
1 point 21 jigawatts!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

But mine was still the best. And the first mod to be released. :D
Admin
Site Admin

Mods and Rockers

Post by Admin »

"Mods? Rockers? We're neither, we're Mockers"

We would like to host the mods in Renhall so there is one place to go for all the downloads. If you have a mod and would like for us to host your work, please send a message to [email protected] for submission instructions.

We need to know some basics, such as where the mod points are and what main files might have been changed. The most ideal handling of mods, would be to allow them to work together. That may entail coordinating the changes OR building a MOD loader system into game startup. Hopefully we can work on this for the nearer future.

Most helpful, would be a 1 paragraph brilliant description of your mod adventure.

Let loose your mods!

PS - The Mods section of the forum is now public/registered. Please consider moving all Mod talk to that forum.