Mods

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

goobie
Townie

Post by goobie »

If I did play the bards tale mod, what level would my characters be at the end of it (approximately)?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

It depends on how you play the game. I included 3 different XP charts, so it can be anywhere from mid 20's to upper 30's. If you fought every possible encounter, you may get into the 40's. If you ran from every encounter unless you had to fight, probably low 20's.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

But if you run from every non-necessary fight, then you'll surely lose the necessary ones, eh?

Unless a lev-uno crew can whip the likes of a Mighty Troll-King Army consisting precisely of one (very large) legion of vitriolic & colicky-angry Troll-Queens.. :? :wink:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Blkadr
Orker

Post by Blkadr »

What? You ran from a fight? (Troll Queens' strength goes up by 3000.) Now hang on, lemme pick fleas out of my back hairs....
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Again, for the record: any fleas picked outta ms. adder's back hairs* did NOT come from moi ('Growler' for those not hip 2 french).

*it's possible any fleas 'selected' from her...er...other hairy places--might tho' not necessarily have originated from...um..someone who Looks like a Growlie :roll:
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Leandris
Townie

Does a mod construction kit exist?

Post by Leandris »

I bought the download version of the game. I didn't find a mod construction kit. Does this software exist? How did you make your mods?
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yes, there's a Modder's Toolkit (for Windows at least) for purchasers of the game, but it may not be readily available to download as long as Renny-Hall site is down...but you might could check with the devs re: an alt. method to get it..
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Anyone looking fer Mod-info files...

Origen's BT Mod Map-info file:
www.notheresistor.com/321.html

It's a big spreadsheet all the BT map-data...should be helpful to anyone moddin' or just perversely curious..:?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Just to mention, this is just for one part of the modding maps. This is the main cfg files. For each level, there is also a Cells file, a Wall file, an Events file, and a Monster file. What you can do it just make 1 cells and 1 walls file, and just include everything you want and have all your maps use them. I didn't, but perhaps it would have been easier.

The most important part to this is to just come up with some sort of system, and stick with it.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Anyone out there familiar with the modding process willing to share a few tips for wannabe modders? Especially howhere to get started.

I've installed the Toolkit, but wasn't sure whether to go with the default directory-- C:\program files\Devil Whiskey -- or install to a sub-directory..so went w/ sub-dir in case the toolkit files might screw any of the game files. But mebe file-management would be easier going with the default directory??

Expected there to be some main/mod-control program, but don't see one anywhere...just a bunch of folders/sub-folders & files with no obvious starting point?? Even the PDF tutorials (in the \tools\tutorials folder) didn't seem to have a starting point...more like several (mostly) disparate guides to 5 different elements of modding..incl: Arcanium, Items, Map, Monsters, & Scripting Tutorials. And the 'scripting' tutorial starts off with "1st ye must know how to bend Python (42' prog-lang) to your will!"

Mastering any one of these 5 aspects should be on par with swimming the English Channel with your eyes closed, (5) 100-lb. lead weights affixed to both yer ankles wrists & neck, in dead of snowy winter, & with a Queen Victoria-sized Ocean-liner passing 13' directly in front of you every 6~7 seconds. Give or take an ounce or an inch.

So a brief (or extensive) list of starting tips/points from a generous Mod-God would be inordinately pleasant! :P
Seems like the ToolKit really needs (at least) a Start-Here/Overview Tutorial telling ya how to coordinate the whole she-bang.

Was it too much to anticipate a GUI-driven mod-program where anyone (even one's Grandma who thinks computers are the work of either the Devil or some sticky-fingered Whiskey-drinkin' rogue) with a whiff of imagination could sit, menu/list-click, & watch (in a nice preview window) their cute little mod grow...like lovely, bountiful weeds..? :?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

GUI's are too boring. Then, anyone with half a brain will think they can make a good mod, and that is really not what anyone wants. Only the strong survive.

Well, here is my modding tips:

Well, I started making a list of my steps, but it was really getting long winded. So what I will try to do is create a tutorial for creating a simple 1 level 10x10 map, and then I will have Growler post it, if he is interested. Hopefully, this will help to get a few more mods out there.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

On a personal note regarding the Bard's Tale mod, I have gathered the statistics for all monsters upto Mangar's Tower. This includes everything except for their Skills, Spells, and Item Drops. Since the item drops in Bard's Tale were rather scarce, they will be the same way in the mod. Also, the Gold and Experience will not even come close to the Devil Whiskey current standards. That being said, there is also no way that you can achieve level 50 status through the BT mod, but that is why there were 3 games released. By the third game, you should be seeing the higher levels that you would expect, if I live that long to program them.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I will be releasing a small mod that will allow people to preview the monster encounters in Bard's Tale. How I am picturing it is that you will come upon the old Jail of Skara Brae, and you can visit with any monster you please. But be warned, the monsters don't like company that much, and will probably attack you. I think I am going to use this Jail as the sample mod that I will be using to create "Origen's Modders Tutorial."
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

One thing I will mention is that I am apparently not very good at writing a tutorial, so I have no idea how this will turn out or even if it will make any sense. But I will see what I can do.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Thanks, Origen--any Mod-help will be much appreciated!
(& a long-winded list is sNAP*! :P)

More than happy to post/host any mod &/or tutorial you (or anyone else) might come up with.

The 10x10 mod Skara Brae monster-Jail sounds great...play & learn, eh?

Gonna meet with a friend (who's learning Python & familar w/ RPG's) this eve, tell him about DW & see if he's interested in helping with modding &/or possibly working on a GUI interface (& coordinate with devs/modders if there's interest). Just seems a shame to have this powerful RPG engine with potential for modding, but such a steep learning curve as to preclude all but the strang--wait, nonono! -the Strongest!! And superbest IQ!
Not to mention most COmely! :P

Btw, anyone interested in the Orkney Islands might dig this site...got folklore, history of Skara Brae, even a real 'Rennibister Earth House' ..very nice site:

www.orkneyjar.com/index.html

*so not a problem :wink:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Even tho' this manual is for the old BT Construction Set, it looks like it may provide some typical behind-the-scenes info re: an RPG's machinations & thus helpful to any would-be DW modders..

Bard's Tale CONSTRUCTION SET Manual (PDF):
www.notheresistor.com/323.html

Anybody ever use the BT Construction Set?
If so, how'd it go?