New member looking where to get this game

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

I think we're all in trouble :|
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

origen wrote:..I would just hate for all of my devious efforts to be wasted...
Devious efforts are never wasted!

Only....transformed!
:wink:

Grudgingly acknowledge that a few 'dark' spots in dungeons can add to the challenge in a not altogether miserable way.. :cry:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

'Few' is the key word :)

I remember a really cool dungeon where the entire room was dark with traps, except for a very specific path of safety that you could take through all the danger spots. It would be pretty cool to redo something like that IF a clue could be obtained somewhere in the dungeon that would advise on safe passage through it, or some other similar clue that could be worked out.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

That could be done easily enough with a bit of modding. Add darkness or anti-magic squares and have a text event so that when you get to a certain wall it gives directions like "N,N,W,N,E,E,N" or however the way will be. You could even take a sample image of one of the walls and put it into a paint program and write the directions right on the wall, then add the image into the image editor.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

that would be quite cool. How about having that image on the wall placed within a previous dark room, on the one spot where light can be cast?
...of course, now everyone knows about it, so there goes the neighbourhood. :)
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

That'd be possible too, though if the directions listed on a wall are in the dark room its possible that people might wander past it by just randomly walking around in the dark. It's probably best that the directions get put someplace where people would find it, but yeah it could be done.

If the directions are in the dark room then it would be best to have a text script that stops the party in its tracks and says something like you sense that there is no anti-magic here. might be a good place to light a torch. so that they see the wall.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

that's just getting way too easy. why not just give the instructions when you enter the dungeon.

I had in mind that if you find the secret directions (perhaps by chance, perhaps by effort, or pehaps by figuring out an even earlier clue to look for it somewhere), then you get the free pass through the dangerous trap/dark room. If you don't find it, no big deal, you just get beat up pretty badly and have to heal, and then transport through the next time. The room shouldn't be that bad that it kills the party if you have to run through it, just bad enough to cause some serious hurting.

As you can see, I prefer a balance between a tough challenge and a free ride through the dungeon without working for it. After all, even if the party gets beaten up, you know that they'll likely just reboot from the last save anyway after figuring it out, so no point in making the first time through a walkthrough. Then again, to each his own, right?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

yeah, I'm all for making the game difficult (as were the bard's tale games) etc. , but I think it's best that all areas of the dungeon are found, especially if you are making a custom image like directions on a wall. I'd prefer to make sure that people actually see it to give them the visual effect. Unless of course the mod is extensive and numerous cool stuff like this is throughout the game. Then. Yeah make it painfull. :twisted: 8)
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I did something similar with my DW add-on, although I do not remember how compilcated I made it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.