New member looking where to get this game

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Smecty
Townie

New member looking where to get this game

Post by Smecty »

Hello,

I just downloaded the DW demo on GameSpot and am really enjoying a style of play I've never played before (coming into cRPG's about the time of Fallout I).

I went to the official site and proceeded to the download site expecting to use PayPal or a credit card but instead the download link produces a redirect from a dead link.

Is this game still for sale as a download? Where do you get it?

Thanks,

Smecty
skaven510
Nomad

Post by skaven510 »

I think you can get it here.
http://www.decklinsdomain.com/games/gam ... vilWhiskey

From what I understand from reading the posts here is that Decklin bought DW but he hasn't been heard from in awhile.

He's got a few other games on sale there too that look interesting like Demise and Mordor but a little pricey for an indie. I'd prefer to just buy the download like I did with DW when it first came out but it looks like you can only buy the boxed games.

Anyways DW is a great game and if you need tech support or what not Origen, Growler and Dragonbait and a few others (sorry if I didn't mention you) are always here to help you out.
Despite all my rage,
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Cool.. ya signed up for the forum here!
signed up for endless abuse from the dislikes of...

well, more fun to just find out...

ahhh... fresh meat :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

seriously, these are mostly good citizenry here...who happen to Love the art of killing beasties--or, pretty much anything that moveth. :roll:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
jykler
Site Admin

Decklin

Post by jykler »

and I can usually get a response from Decklin if needed. . .
I did finally show up with a file remember?
<wave> to growler... haven't seen you around here in a while...<GRIN>
-Jykler
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Yes. Extra thanks to Jykler for obtaining the completed monsters.txt file! :D

+ a big welcome to Smecty! 8)

Actually I'm glad that I got the boxed version. It comes with a manual + the CD. Makes nice for memorabilia too. Decklin's site has the game for sale. Yes it's a little bit pricey but it's well worth it. You won't be dissapointed.
Smecty
Townie

Post by Smecty »

dragonbait wrote:Yes. Extra thanks to Jykler for obtaining the completed monsters.txt file! :D

Actually I'm glad that I got the boxed version. It comes with a manual + the CD. Makes nice for memorabilia too. Decklin's site has the game for sale. Yes it's a little bit pricey but it's well worth it. You won't be dissapointed.
And a big thanks from Smecty to all of you who have responded to my query. Although I prefer downloads for all of my games now (what with a spiffy new computer with more hard drive space than I'll ever use) if the boxed set is the only option, then that's the way I'll go.

Although I'm new to this forum, I've been an active cRPG player now since the mid '90's. My first game was Betrayal at Krondor (which pushed the limits of my then-machine), and I've never looked back. Favorite cRPG so far has been Fallout 1, though I understand from a plethora of websites devoted to Wasteland that I really haven't had the ultimate experience until I play that one. I've played a few MMO's but found the experience kind of flat: sort of like being in an RPG theme park, not so great for a good story that you can suspend your disbelief in.

DW intrigued me because I never played the games from the '80s (Bard's Tale, the Ultima's, etc.), and judging by the demo it has a style of play that I've never experienced: more like a pen 'n paper RPG than the first-person 3D affairs of today (which is not to say that I don't enjoy them too.) But it was like my discovery of text adventure games a while back: I had assumed that all adventure games were graphical from the get-go, and when I found a really funny text adventure (Spellcasting 301: Spring Break) I couldn't believe how much fun it was.

Here's hoping that DW provides that same experience!

Cheers,

Smecty
skaven510
Nomad

Post by skaven510 »

dragonbait wrote:Yes. Extra thanks to Jykler for obtaining the completed monsters.txt file! :D

The download had a pdf that when printed out made for one huge manual :lol: I wasn't talking about DW though. I meant Demise and Mordor were a bit pricy. If those are the games I'm thinking about then they've been around since the late 90's. Heck I was living in the states still and had Netzero when it was still free and had that annoying banner thing on it lol. But I think your right about buying the boxed set, I saw DW in the bargin bin a few years back and almost bought it just for the memorabilia factor and now regret that I didn't. It's funny, I had to do a double take when I saw it there. I didn't think DW would of made it into the normal software store shelves, even though this store only sold software I just never thought they would have the resources to do that. You don't see too many indies go that far. It's too bad there wasn't more support for the game from the devs because it looked like they had big plans for their company.

@Jykler I didn't know you were in contact with big D. After quickly reading some of the threads here I just assumed big D did a Houdini like Shifting Suns because I keep reading about releasing the source code since none of the devs are helping out to fix the game. Sorry about that. The only new news I saw that peaked my interest was that Origin was working on the Bard's Tale mod again.

Smecty your in for a treat with this game if you never played Bards Tale. It is one of the best games ever and DW is even better. DW takes what was good about BT and gets rid of what was annoying. I always had a horrible sense of direction so mapping was my weak point with BT. I get lost just walking three blocks from my apartment, now throw in spinner traps and teleporters and forget about it I'm completly lost :lol: but with DW you finally have an AUTOMAP :) :) :) Plus the best spell ever made for any RPG game ever NEUTRALIZE SPINNERS!!! I love that spell!

Edit: Beware Growler bites :P
Despite all my rage,
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

skaven510 wrote:Edit: Beware Growler bites :P
Yesss, but z impertinent quest is What Growler bites 8)

Smecty seems like good people, so he's safe from Growler bites.
fur now..

Everyone Else = unFAIR GAMERS!!!

:P :twisted: :P

Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Zakhal
Townie

Post by Zakhal »

Hi

I just bought this game - how can I get to the renhall to get these updates/files/etc?
With each copy purchased, an account is created granting access to our exclusive Rennibister Hall membership site allowing an immediate download of Devil Whiskey, as well as the additions, upgrades, fan-submitted mods, forums and many more cool features!
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Well, I am sure someone else has already let you know, but most, if not all of the mods and patches are on Dragonbaits Icestorm9999 site. If he doesn't have something, let us know on the forums. Someone is bound to have it.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Skaven, you forgot one spell that is even better than neutralize spinners: Spring all traps. (may modify this opinion once I get the Random effect spell and try it out a few times, in about a hundred years)
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

The spring all traps spell is pretty cheap to me, which is why I am hopefully adding "non-springable" traps in my mod. I haven't tested it yet, but it should work.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

O-man, it's really OK to be cheap sometimes!!

:D :shock: :D

where would my party be sans Spring All Traps?!?

certainly knot...partying

8) :oops: 8)
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Non springable traps???!!! Perish the thought :)

At least make Spring all traps cost 30 or 35 SP, but don't get rid of that wonderful beautiful spell of magic.

On the topic, I did notice the obvious lack of HP- drains and SP- drains in DW, throughout all the dungeons, and I was very suprised by it. Even the darkness and anti-magic spots were VERY few and far between. Obviously everyone hates those spots, but without any of them at all, the dungeons are a bit boring and easy - no real challenge in exploring the dungeon other than getting through the fights. I would venture to say that this is one major thing that the DW developers missed. Even a few would spice things up to make the dungeon movement choices more important. Otherwise, there is no decision making in racing through the various tunnels and passageways etc.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, the only "bad" think about my sprint all traps is that not only are they unspringable, but also completely undetectable, and unaviodable. Perhaps it is a little unfair, so I will try to find a workaround. I would just hate for all of my devious efforts to be wasted by a simple casting of a spell.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.