Monk Challenge

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

jy_blaste
War Monger

Monk Challenge

Post by jy_blaste »

This will be the unofficial MONK CHALLENGE thread.

Has anyone ever tried finishing the game with a party of 8 monks only? or 1 monk only?

The current idea in the works for the all-monk challenge is as follows:

Be the first one to reach the final game screen (i.e. in as few days as possible on the Orkneyan calendar, starting with a new game in v2.01b, average setting), with exactly 8 monks, of exactly 8 different races. [Saurians cannot be monks, all others can]. Post your results in this thread when you are done.

You'll have to choose which attributes to sacrifice in order to even achieve a level 1 monk in some of the more unorthodox races. You'll also have to plan ahead on which of your hodgepodge of young multi-cultural monks will form the front 4, vs. the back 4 weapons tossers, and which attributes will be best suited for each. By forcing 8 different races, some will inevitably be poor at purchasing. Some will be bad at striking first. Some will be awfully poor looking. Nevertheless, the monestary accepts all young monks that are pure of heart. I've started to play with this idea and its lots of fun, and not an easy choice. The AC ranges tremendously for monks, depending on the class, as you'll see. The fights are actually quite easy with 8 attacks per round possible, so it's the strategy that counts.

At higher levels of fighting, you won't have magic, so watch out. You can stick around and wait for higher monk ranks, to gain the special skills needed to win these fights easily, but you may lose the MONK CHALLENGE if you wait too long to level up, so decide quickly.

I welcome your new ideas and variants on the challenge, or rules, before we officially start the challenge on Sept 1/08.
Last edited by jy_blaste on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I have two monks in my current party, but never in this game have I tried to run a solo monk/monk-only party.

Truth be told, i was thinking of going all Monk for my front line, but I want to be able to use some of the vast hordes of junk I liberate from the corpses of my fallen alli... I mean enemies.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

I never had much luck with one or two monks along the way.. so that would seemingly present an excellent challenge!

the idea of 8 monks is both intriguing & comical..

should Monks be allowed to drink & party at the taverns??
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

See top post in this thread for a recently updated introduction to the unofficial MONK CHALLENGE!!!

I will be welcoming all new ideas on this challenge until Sept 1, at which time we'll nail down the rules for the challenge and open it up to the public for all future readers.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

after 1 week of being posted, there are a total of 0 new posts on this thread, which means that Dragon, Chaney, O, Growler and Rick all love this Monk challenge exactly as posted in the first message above, and are eagerly awaiting the Sept 1 initiation of the challenge :roll: :roll: (or noone has any intention of trying it, or everyone is at their cottage this week :D :D )

Regardless, the challenge will be on, and the winner will be declared the multi-cultual Monk King (not to be pronounced Mon-kee). Let's see if anyone can finish this challenge in less than 15 Orknian days.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Jy.. really wish I had time to try this! :cry:
R/L has been very demanding the past few months..
If time opens up, I'll try it & post here.

For what it's worth..we just got Obama as Prez :)
That's multi-cultural. And he has the constitution/demeanor of a solid Monk, so... :)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor