Youtube Advertisement of Devil Whiskey

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

Youtube Advertisement of Devil Whiskey

Post by dragonbait »

Here is the Youtube Advertisement of the game's intro "Devil Whiskey". Um. why hasn't this not been advertised there before? There is nothing regarding the Devil Whiskey before I put it up online. OK so now there is at least something. Anything to further the cause, so be it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9sMtpudZuo

-Dragonbait
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Excellent idea, DB!

Seems the marketing efforts went downhill a few years back.. then ker-plooey.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Grodst
Townie

Post by Grodst »

Growler wrote:Excellent idea, DB!

Seems the marketing efforts went downhill a few years back.. then ker-plooey.
Marketing died just as the freaking game FINALLY hit the market. So sad after all those years of drooling anticipation :cry:
Grouchy Old Timer Passes By
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I think SSS expected the userbase to provide word-of-mouth marketing. Which only works well if there's a large enough user base, and the devs aren't intent on leaking what they have off.

As such, not enough people knew about the game to spread the word, and thus it lies in the current state of limbo. Whats more, as there are no more devs now, there is little reason for the few remaining souls to promote the game.

If there were some devs, releasing the source code might attract some interest, as would releasing the original game as freeware to promote a sequel. The engine itself is solid; they could use it with little work to create a sequel, and perhaps as a short-term funding solution create an expansion for the original game for sale.

Once a userbase is established, they can roll into the sequel expecting much better sales, and perhaps invest some into marketing.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
skaven510
Nomad

Post by skaven510 »

Too bad this article in newsweek wasn't written yet when DW was first released. It paints a good picture of why and how Vic Davis was successful in marketing his indie game Armageddon Empires.
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/ ... art-i.aspx

This was pretty much how I found out about DW in the beginning. There were news posts at rpgwatch on the progress of DW. The more they posted about it the more I couldn't wait for it to be released and try it out.

But now that it is released and being worked on again (thanks decklin for taking up the gauntlet :D ) once it is finished people should spread the news about it on RPG dedicated sites. If I hadn't of gotten that familiar itch to replay DW, I wouldn't even know Decklin was working on it again.

As you can see from the article that is how Vic did it. He didn't just release it and make a few patches for it then head off onto another project. He continued to improve it for I think well over a year and even added free content, which kept people on the forums talking about his game. At least that is how I found out about Armageddon Empires, even at the predominatly RPG site like rpgwatch there were some news posts about it, which got me interested and after trying the demo I was hooked.

Indie marketing is a different beast from the AAA titles. You just can't market them like the AAA titles and why would you. The AAA titles always look for huge sales within the first couple of weeks to a month and then they're off to the next project.

Anyways that's my 2 cents worth and that is all it worth :lol:
Despite all my rage,
I'm still just a rat in a cage.