After a long absence, an update ....

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

decklin
Site Admin

After a long absence, an update ....

Post by decklin »

... apologies for being AWOL ...

I have set up a Linux VPS and hope to 'restore' Rennibister Hall in some way soon as well as re-locate the site and forums. The patch link is at ~
http://www.decklinsdomain.net/demdev/ar ... ntents.htm

I think jykler has the text file(s) we located but those have not been linked yet, my bad entirely.

If anyone has mods or file(s) that should be available in the new Rennibister Hall please let me know ~

2009 plans ~ after Ascension is released there'll be access to a bug-reporting utility for Devil Whiskey and once we see the magnitude of effort required we'll start work on a patch or patches.

Also I periodically get subscription renewals which I refund since Renn Hall is no longer present ... I don't seem to be able to cancel them for some reason, it may be that users can only do that when they renew?

I can only refund subs that actually came to decklin's domain of course.
Decklin (The Twisted Dwarf)
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Greetings Decklin, Its good to hear an official response. 8)
In the absence of Rennibister Hall, I have hosted most of the files on my site. There might have been some linux files or other files which were once on Renhall that I do not have. But most of the patches, toolkit and mods are located at the link below.
http://www.weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/dw/dw.html

That being said, I just have some questions/concerns.

1.) When Renhall goes back online, can I still host the patches/toolkit etc. on my site? or will I need to remove them.

2.) There are a few of the original Devil Whiskey developers posting on the Devil Whiskey Yahoo Group. I'm sure they would like to hear from you.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/devilwhiskey/

-Dragonbait
Last edited by dragonbait on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragonbait
Stalker

Virus on Devilwhiskey.com

Post by dragonbait »

Decklin & / Jykler or whomever has access to the main Devilwhiskey Website.

It seems that there is a virus that has infected the main Devil Whiskey site. Or at least the Devil Whiskey Site's Main page. It is definitely something to do with the main DW page as I have received this warning from my AntiVirus (below). I have visited the page 3 times in total and each time I visit the page it gives me an alert/warning RE a virus eminating from the site. I then have quarantined the virus into my lockbox BUT THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE. Please help with this or notify whomever is in charge of the DW website. Just to let you know the infection seems to be limited to the DW site rather than the forums, as far as I can tell. The link to the infected page is....
http://www.devilwhiskey.com/

Please help with this A.S.A.P. as i advertise the Devil Whiskey at my site and I do not wish to be redirecting interested customers of the Devil Whiskey to an infected page.
Thank you.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\mjjxtnrh.default\Cache\6EFFB1E6d01
Malware Name: JS:Packed-Y [Trj]
Malware Type: Trojan Horse
VPS Version: 081212-0, 12/12/2008
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

I just checked it with my AV ( up-dated ) and could see no problem except a couple of dead links ... will look deeper.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hi,

The last item scanned on the devilwhiskey site was favicon.ico

I visited the site just now and noticed that i no longer receive a virus alert.
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

... and as a much delayed response, for a while I hosted a music site for a friend and I guess the TFP password was 'weak' and that was where the virus 'script' came in. While checking my other sites recently I still found vestiges of the scurvy infection lurking in FrontPage index files !!!

I see I mentioned the VPS - well I've had it this long and with all the RL things going on its only now that I'm starting to transfer sites.

For a while I'd hoped for some help in trying to get teh whole DW site back up ... but that help seems to have been buried by RL events also.

None the less ... the site will be moving back to a Linux basis this summer.

I wouldn't mind getting together in one place copies of all the mods etc ... I'll post back here when I've got the site ready to move.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

! It's Alive!

:shock: :? :wink: :twisted:

Think RicksTavern's MegaMod file has all the mods, right?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Decklin,
As it seems there's no 'official' development of DW, and hasn't been for..what..2 or 3 yrs now--would it be unreasonable to release the source code?

At least then (while there's still potential interest) some dedicated players/modders could finally fix some long-standing bugs and limitations. In fact, if you release the source code--I'll re-purchase the game--just to show support!

Seriously, what do you have to lose at this point?
Copies can already be easily made of the game, so it's not like you're protecting loss of potential sales.. in fact, it should do just the opposite--get you much-needed new/good press and help open the door to many more mods, etc.

And you can also make money from stuff I assume you now own the copyright to.. the game-related designs--just pop some onto CafePress (or similar) and sell t-shirts, calendars, mugs, etc. When the previous owner/s tried it before, they only offered one very basic design & never expanded it.

Hope you'll seriously consider.
Thanks.
Growler
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
ShadoKnight
Nomad

Source release?

Post by ShadoKnight »

Hi all - it's been a while since I've been on here, but I'll do what I can to be more regular poster - especially if Decklin decides to release the source to the community. In fact, if he'd like to re-license the whole thing has GPL (or some other OSI-approved license) and host it on Sourceforge or some such, I'd be happy to help him do so...

Decklin, if you are so inclined, I've still got all the source (well, I've got the last version before I lost touch with the team, so not the very latest, but pretty close to it). No reason to include the art assets necessarily - at least, not at first - that might alleviate concerns about lost sales...

Just curious, how are sales at this point, anyway? I know I no longer have any legal interest, but the game is still sort-of my baby... ;-) Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have questions or concerns that I can answer (I'm sure you've still got my e-mail, right?).

Justin Binns
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

..there may yeti bee hope... :)

Great to see you here, Justin!
erum..SK ;)
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

Sorry for yet another long absence, and in particular for letting the domain registration expire! I did not receive any notice - just an email from CE thank you!

I have renewed the domain name for 2 years ... and in reference to Justin's post above ... we have to talk! Sometime next week perhaps?
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

Back again ... download version is available at
http://www.e-junkie.com/decklinsdomain/

Trying to fix links to demo - DWDemo-2_1 is the latest I believe, is there any need to link the earlier ones also?

Also for those with full versions should we make both 2_0 and 2_1 available? I saw some references to mods neeeding 2_0 ?

@dragonbait - I tried responding to your PM but I see the email link is broken within the forum also.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hi, thanks for making the DW available via download! :D

In regards to demo versions....

DWDemo-2_01 is the latest Windows demo version. I'm not sure what the highest Linux version demo was. I know there is a Linux tarball demo version DWDemo-1.2.tgz

The Linux demo version 1.# might have equaled the Windows demo version 2_#, but I'm not positive on that as I've only ever played the demo of the Windows 2_1

We really only need the most recent versions of the demo, however if you have multiple versions, you might as well list links to all of them with notation to use the most recent and that the previous ones are for archival purposes.

-------

In regards to the full versions, we need both versions 2_0 and 2_1 as Origen's Bard's Tale mod needs version 2_0 to work properly, and the Megamod (which contains all the other mods except the Bard's Tale mod) uses the newer 2_1 version.

I also remember there being some Linux files that were available on the Rennhall online, though I do not have those. Perhaps some other users may have more information on that.

What I do have is the Windows DWDemo 2_01, and Linux DWDemo 1.2,
the toolkit, action editor, Megamod, BT mod, patches, and a bunch of other files and stuff at this link.
http://www.weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/dw/dw.html
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

ok - that's good information. I saw the yahoo Group link also - is that active, would it be useful to put it on the front page ... ?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

It is good to see some new life from you Decklin.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!