Game Patches ... help

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Aborianus
Townie

Game Patches ... help

Post by Aborianus »

Hey there,

I'm not even sure if anyone still reads this forum, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

I bought the full box version back in 2004. and haven't played the game since. I am looking to find the latest patch for the FULL game, not te demo.

I realy don't know where to go / how to get the latest patch for the game... and would appreciate any help.

Also, I am wondering if there was any change to the game to reset the character level back to 1 when you changed magic user classes.

One of the great things about the bard's tale III game was when your magic user changed classes, they were set back to level 1.. so you could XP and raise that toon. I distinctly remember that Devil Whiskey did not allow that... and you were stuck trying to level a new class of magic user to get spells with them still being lvl XX instead of lvl 1.

Has that been changed in a patch.. or is ist still that way.

Anyway... desperatly looking for the patch to my full game on cd.

Thanks
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Dragonbait has a site with the patches on it-http://www.icestorm9999.com/dw.html
As far as the leveling for mages issue-it doesn't reset you to level 0, you do excel through the early levels quicker. If you use the 2.01b unofficial patch from Rick Stavern, you will level up much quicker in all classes period. Plenty of people still use this forum. On the dragonbait page, you will also find several mods that were made by DW players. All but 1 of them have been rolled into what is referred to as the Megamod. There is also Origen's Bard's Tale 1 done in DW. They are all very fun.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Aborianus
Townie

Post by Aborianus »

Awesome ...

Thanks so much... I am gonna start playing the game again with new zeal.

And a million thanks to Dragonbait for hosting that site.. realy thought i was gonne be out of luck trying to find the patch.. cause i certainly didnt save any information about my customer order number form 6 years ago.. nor do i think anyone from shifting suns would respond to an email.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I think the leveling system is definitely not as effective as it could be, especially for the elementalists. Since the first four levels are basically the same, you never really use most of the spells you learn after your first path, and it takes too much XP to level through them.

In fact, most of the spells in the game are redundant. From what I have seen and experienced, most people just stick with a few spells that work for them, and the rest just sit there.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Aborianus
Townie

Follow up

Post by Aborianus »

Ok,

I installed the exe package for patch 2.0.

Then I unzipped the 2.01 package and overlayed it onto my DevilWhiskey install folder, I know it updated files because i was prompted "do you wish to overwrite this file" etc...

I did the same for the 2.01a, and 2.01b patches.

I know the files that were in the patch zips are now in my installation folder, but... the version information in Devil Whiskey game has never changed... it still shows 2.0

Is this normal?.... Just would be nice to actualy see the patch revision reflected in the version display in game.

Just trying to makesure i didnt screw it up.

Thanks in dvance for any feedbakck.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

It doesn't tell you anything beyond 2.0. The patches were just about the last things the dev's did before fleeing to Mars. If you overlayed the files, then you are up to date.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!