Does this game (fully) work with Win 7?

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Sleel
Townie

Does this game (fully) work with Win 7?

Post by Sleel »

A buddy of mine has this game and showed me the other day, when I was over his place. It ran awful. The background textures kept on flickering to solid black (with the box of the first menu screen showing a little bit), then back to normal. He said it only happened when he upgraded from XP to Win 7, and that he tried the patches, mods, and tweaking all the settings- then just decided to get used to it. I would like to play this game, but I think the flickering would drive me mad. Has anyone here had, and overcome, this problem? Thanks. Oh, and I believe he has the 64-bit version of win, and a fairly modern system, though, I don't know his exact specs. Here's hoping that it's just something screwy with his config.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

This was made quite a bit before Windows7. I have a suggestion to try. D-Fend Reloaded. It has an option for Windows games that might function better with Windows7. http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/
If you have your friend try that, let us know if it works.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Sleel
Townie

Post by Sleel »

Thanks, I will pass this along. I won't be back to his place for a while, and I'm not sure he is willing to learn a new setup (read: I might have to go there and do it myself), so it might take me a bit to get back to you. Thanks again. And, if anyone else has other suggestions, involving direct DW + win 7 tweaks, please feel free to offer them.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hi Sleel,

IF the link Chaney gave you doesn't work for you, then....

You might want to check out the following links...
IF you are running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions there is XP mode for Windows 7. (I've only ever played the DW on Windows XP so I assume XP mode for Windows 7 would work)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -windows-7

Or you could try the link below.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... of-Windows

And if all those fail then I Greatly suggest emailing Decklin as he has the rights to the Devil Whiskey and IF any new [official release] were to exist it i suppose it would come from him.

Code: Select all

Contacts - general U.S. & Canada Site Issues [email protected] 
general U.K & European Site Issues [email protected] 
personal issues and any subject under the sun to [email protected]
FAX number 1 (415) 634 1443
That flickering does sounds annoying. Hope you find something that works. 8)
Sleel
Townie

Post by Sleel »

Thanks for the suggestions. When I was over there, I did try emulation mode, for both XP sp2 and XP sp3, and had no luck. Also tried with and without directX, full screen and windowed, with and without directSound, interlaced and not, etc. Nothing seemed to work. I would feel funny pestering someone directly about a game I have not purchesed yet, and not even sure if I would (I couldn't stand the flickering for even long enough to see if I liked the game). But thanks for the suggestions all the same. I had just been hoping that someone on here with win 7 might have already plowed the path ahead of me.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I have windows7 now. When i bought the game, i had xp. I started a new game today to see if i had any issues, and so far everything has worked great. In fact I can make the clock go by even faster when my characters are resting than with xp.
Sleel
Townie

Post by Sleel »

Well, now, that is very odd. I shall tell him to reinstall, and see if that problem persists. Thanks for checking. If it does, I'll try to get him to send a screen shot of it happening.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Does his video card support OpenGL? I seem to remember having to pick up a new video card as mine did not support OPenGL at the time. But that was a long time ago. :?
Sleel
Townie

Post by Sleel »

I can answer thisone, as he gets all my used parts, when I upgrade. He is using an nVidia 8800, so he should be more than set.
slackmg
Townie

Post by slackmg »

One other thing that I've always done with older applications (especially games) under Vista and now Win 7 is to not install them in Program Files. Vista/Win7 consider Program Files to be protected, most older games tend to want to update files all the time in the installed folder and have issues. DW works great for me out of my Games folder under Win 7.

XP Mode (XP SP3 running in a virtual instance under Win 7) should work fine to get older applications running and will be the only way you can run old 16-bit games or Win9x games under Win 7 (especially 64 bit).
Sleel
Townie

Post by Sleel »

Yep, this is just what I tried. Again, the game engine works, he just gets one background screen trying to superimpose over the forground one. Very odd. Well, thanks for all the suggestions. I am moving, over the next few days, so won't be back to check messages for about a week.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Any luck yet?
Sounds like the video memory/cache isn't being cleared properly, but that's a semi-wild guess.
Is the video driver up-2-date?

Couldn't you test the free version of DW on your Win 7 system?
If you happen to have the same issue, at least yer knot out 20~30? bux :)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

In case its of help ... I found that setting the properties of even an installer exe to 'Win XP SP2 compatibility mode' and also 'run as administrator' in addition to doing the same with the game exe or 'exes' ... has helped with Vista/Win7
Decklin (The Twisted Dwarf)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Hello Decklin,
You have been gone so long, we thought you joined the circus
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

chaney wrote:Hello Decklin,
You have been gone so long, we thought you joined the circus...
...with Origen. :lol: