Does this game (fully) work with Win 7?

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

would that make growler the bearded lady
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Perhaps, but only if that means that the rest of us aren't a bunch of maniacally laughing clowns. I don't like clowns. They're creepy.
:lol:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Growler *GROWLzzzz* at duh bearded lady quipper.. :evil:

I bet the issue is related to his Win 7 being 64-bitter. Lots mo' backward compatibility with 64-blitz.

Is there a 32-bit emulation mode?
Even if so, emulations tend to have their own quirks.

Any chance there are 2 graphics cards in the sys?
Imagine that could cause an issue with an older game designed prior to any widespread use of dual graphics cards/chips.

And ye olde stand-by: is the video driver up-2-date?
Are other games (or any other graphics-oriented progs) running fine?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
fongod

Post by fongod »

I don't think that anybody will ever read this but just to let you know. :idea:

I have Windows 7 - 32 Bits and I had the same flickering problem as Sleel. The solution to the problem is not OS related,
the game work fine with Windows 7. The problem is related to QUOTE:
"He is using an nVidia 8800, so he should be more than set."

I have the same card and it is older now, but still supported by all the new games. There is a little problem with that card and Windows 7.
The "Vertical Sync" must be set to "Force off" in the NVIDIA control panel if you want to play older games.

That solve the flickering problem with this game and few others that had all kind of weird problems. :lol:

Hope this will help somebody. :mrgreen:
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

There are still people watching the forums. Thank you for the tip. I will have to check the settings on my Windows7 computer. I usually play on my XP computer out of habit.
decklin
Site Admin

Post by decklin »

As a belated postscript, now that I've returned from the circus :lol: ->

We've found that for older games in Vista and / or Win7 that the properties / compatibility tab should be set to "WinXP sp3 or sp2" ( sp2 might be as high as some older Vista or Win7 installs will go ) and "Run as administrator for all users" is best. BUT DEP should also be checked for "Windows System and Related files only" otherwise each exe file will have to be listed there explicitly. Finally most situations require UAC to be 'off' otherwise there are circumstances where the OS ( unbeknownst to the user ) creates a virtual data file and redirects your data writes to that location ... your game(s) likely cannot read them from anywhere other than the real location so therein lies a problem!

The hint about the Nvidia fix is extremely interesting though - we have had a couple of reports of graphics problems with Ascension that may well be the same issue.
Decklin (The Twisted Dwarf)
Fates
Townie

Win7 x64 pro

Post by Fates »

I picked this up via the Gamers Gate indie pack.

I've tried the XP compatibility modes for SP2 and SP3.
I am running as Admin for privs.

The game is not installed in program files, this helped with other older programs to minimize microsoft's user confirmation annoyance problems.

The game loads and runs fine, at least for the first play. When I exit and come back loading my save game all my adventurers are gone. :?

Sound and mouse support are off, graphics are scaled back to minimums as is screen size and depth, smooth walk off. Though I don't expect any of these should effect characters being saved. Am I missing files or having a bad download/install issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Fates
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

It sounds like a corrupt savegame file. What size is your savegame file? How many times did you save? Are you getting any message when you load a saved game?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

It could be like chaney says a corrupt savegame file, however you mentioned it was your first play....you did remember to save your gave before you exited the game, correct? Is it possible you created characters, played a bit, then exited the game without saving? Has this happened multiple times? or just once?
Fates
Townie

Post by Fates »

Got it worked out, full game differs from demo.

In demo if I rested characters they saved off... much like I was used to on the 64 with bards tale. I assumed it worked the same here. So issue was operator error and assumptions.

THanks all.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

How goes it, Fates? :)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Fates
Townie

Post by Fates »

Still learning what not to do. Even with all the patches applied it appears trying to spam movement is bad. That seems to cause the majority of my crashes in the wilderness and town.

Even on easy large groups tend to dice me up for breakfast, esp ranged combat.

Aside from that it seems to just be a matter of figuring out what classes I need to have in a party. Right now I'm thinking 3 monks is overkill and I'm not sure if the casting classes will ever be as overpowering as they were in bard's tale. I wish I'd tracked this down when I still had a system with XP on it... Or finding out if the linux version is still available to download, it might be more stable for me.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

That's cool.. good to hear you're hanging in and playing thru.

What did you mean by 'trying to spam movement is bad' ?

Does anyone have advice on dealing with the monster's uber-successful ranged attacks?

I never played very far into this version, but seem to recall it was less of an issue as your crew leveled up..??

The magic/casting classes are well worth having..esp later in the game. Think I played thru with at least 3, and sometimes wished for a 4th caster.
If I started over with plans to play all the way, I'd go with at least 1 Arcanist and 2~3 Elementalists.

And yeah, I'd say 3 monks might be less than optimal--compared to other options. :D
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Curious to hear how the game is running on Win 7, 8, 8.1, and 10?

I've just tried with my shiny new Win 10 laptop and the game appears to run well -- as long as I keep in in lowest graphics mode (1024x768, which is annoying because cant get much text or items per screen), otherwise, it goes off the lower edge or gets oddly cut off short on the right side (tho there's 'space' for it)..so some formatting type issue.

Windowed or Full-screen both fine..again, long as I stick to lowest rez.

Set to 32-bits color, No Direct X (tho may should try in case it helps with higher rez?), fog & shadows on, etc..looks very good & no crashes in nearly an hour of basic play.

This is ver 2.0.
Gonna try the MegaMod overlay soon & hopefully that'll run fine..don't think there's any technical reason it shouldn't since the game core should be the same..

Btw, didn't have to monkey with any compatibility settings!
Tho..mebe that could help with the higher rez..??

Think the rez issue is somehow related to my screen supposedly being set to max/native of 1920x1080, but not actually 'getting' all that rez..maybe a scaling issue? -whatever it is, it seems to be independent of DW.

Hope this helps some folks out there wondering about running it on Win 10.

Also, my video graphics chipset is Intel 5500, so nothing fancy, but decent.