nooby new starter

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Archie Stanton
Nomad

nooby new starter

Post by Archie Stanton »

hallo all,

i have been sort of viewing this forum since i bought DW from SS way back in 2004 (receipt can be provided just in case there are any doubters :wink: ),

then i sort of met a girl, subsequently married, started playing WoW etc etc.

anyways tidying old box of old pc stuff, and found my original burnt to CD copy of DW and thought, hehe that can pass a few hours here and there.

long story short, am looking at becoming a bit of a regular around here and wonder if there is a dummy's simple guide to getting started / party make up etc.

i seem to remember the wilderness was an absolute mare of a map, are there any active links to maps and stuff still knocking about?

appreciate any help / feedback

bill
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Welcome aboard. With the automapping feature, I don't think anyone has ever bothered making maps. Make sure you download the latest updates, and players mod. These are all in the megamod, and makes the game even more fun. They can be found at Dragonbait's website. http://weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/dw/dw.html
As far as party makeup goes, there are so many variations. There is a spot in the forums where people were listing their party makeup, and it was quite varied. One of the player mods is a recreation of Bard's Tale I, using DW to create it. It was wonderfully done.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Archie Stanton
Nomad

Post by Archie Stanton »

cheers for reply will looksee at linky when i get home

just one last (honest guv) quickie question

is it best to start with a party of 8 or am i likely to pick a couple of people on my travels.

am thinking 2 melee, 2 casters, rogue, bard and 2 others?

thanks again
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

My personal preference is 6. You will be able to get npc's as well as summoning later in the game. The npc's tend to get a little hostile when you don't let them join also.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Welcome, fresh blood+meat! :twisted:

I like a party of 7.. a bit stronger & more variety than 6, plus leaves a slot open just in case.. but I almost never filled that slot except to check out some monster's base stats. precious few NPC's are very helpful.

nice having 3 if not 4 casters.. 1 arc, 2 ele's = sweetness.

as Cheney said, go ahead & start with the MegaMod.. has some fixes & will make extended playing so much easier.. try to play the mods along the way according to rec'd party strength.. far as I know, that shouldn't hurt the main game play..unless you all die.... :roll:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

somebody shoot that furry bastard!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Whaaaa???
Ya mean there's another furry bastard skulkin'round heah?!?

rec'd using a +4/7 adamantine arrow shot from an extra-sturdy Dwarven bow, yo.. by a top-flite Fighter or Ranger.

ahh, who's kiddin' hoo?
that wouldn't even slow a FB down. 8)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I suggest a flamin arrow of +5 mangekilll on it. Follow that up w/a flea dip chaser. :lol:
Archie Stanton
Nomad

Post by Archie Stanton »

oi back on thread you two ;op

erm, my party of warrior, paladin, RCL, rogue and 2 casters

seems to be getting wiped out quite easily at level 1,

i seem to remember it being tough at the start but not sure rogue is a good pick, and i seem to be missing a bard :(
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

A bard is a must have. He has a first level song to put enemies to sleep. It gets more powerful each level he goes up. Yes, early on requires a lot of saving and staying by the temple. I found that part fun(if not a little annoying too). If you are using the megamod version, you will level up relatively fast, and get past this.
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Yup, it's tough at the start, but it gets better.

I just checked my party: I stuck out with 7 (Mon, RCl, Pal, Brd. Rog, Arc and Iso).

A Bard is a must-have (if only for BT nostalgic value).

Edit: the Rogue gets very good too, when you have the high-level assassinate skills (can't remember the name).
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Never used a Bard, but everyone (& their mudders) sez they're Tony z Tigger Grrrrrate.

And my Rogue (even at High level with all the shadowy weapon/equipment & high stats) never got the hang of lethal injection.. critical hit??

To work, he first had to successfully 'hide in shadows' -which often took several tries/rounds, then a few more tries (assuming there were rounds left) to achieve a lethal/crit-hit.

Annoying.
Tho very satisfying on those rare occasions he successfully smote some hard-2-keel enema. :?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I usually stack up on mage type characters Pyro's + Arcanists. To be honest, I don't think I ever used a rogue in the DW. Bards are useful for a while & also bring some xtra sound to the ears. 8)
Archie Stanton
Nomad

Post by Archie Stanton »

cheers muchly peeps
Archie Stanton
Nomad

Post by Archie Stanton »

yee hah - just managed to blag the defend rennibister quest

lukcily my sleepy song sent 11 of them to sleep, and my recently acquired water elemental

helped me dispose of those nasty ogres