Know Class Act(ion)!

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

What is yer Favorite Class of the Realm?

Arcanist
15%
Elementalist
23%
Barbarian
No votes
Monk
8%
Paladin
8%
Psi Knight
31%
Saurian Red Claw
No votes
Warrior
8%
Bard
No votes
Ranger
8%

Total votes: 13

douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

Growler when you are talking about ARWI you are talking about a new or low lvl char right?...
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah, in the previous context I was; but ARWI is the spell-gift that keeps on giving & growing...a level 33 Ele can do ~100 points damage to each one in a group! Hard to find a spell that does that well (& continues to get more potent as Ele levels up) anywhere.
Especially since it costs only 4 spell pts.
That's some cheap firepower.. :twisted:

Only short-coming is distance; beyond 10' ARWI's artic blast fizzles to a balmy breeze..

Since you get it at level 2 (as an Aero), that's a good reason to consider starting one of yer ele's out as an Aero. :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

ARWI is the best choice for Elementalists at putting damage down on a group at 10 feet, except for a few ranges of levels. There's a narrow exception if AIPR is learned at level 11. And a wider one for SHFI (25 to 40, assuming Pyro is 2nd path). But the arsenal of a level 41+ third-path Ele and Isomancer will always include ARWI, the old standby.
1 point 21 jigawatts!
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

hmm... will have to try that spell and see how my ele's do.

Anyone have the mind vortex spell yet (not for ele's)? use it yet? (if i remembered the right name) It appears to be a pretty potent spell for a pretty cheap cost. I still have a few levels to go before i get that one....
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

MIVO costs 35 sp pts...which is quite a bite in my spell book :P

Think my Arc had just gotten it last time I played...but don't recall using it.

You're right it's (potentially) ..um, potent:
All Foes up to 90'; however, it's an illusion so some baddies may disbelieve (esp. if they lack imagination!) thus rendering it null/void upon arrival. But it just might kill weaker foes with vivid imaginations.. :twisted:

(I'd crank up the game & try it out 'cept after doing some beta-testing, my old & new files are all mixed up :?)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

well its cheap for me since I usually cast kill or flai or a similar spell most of the time
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

For some reason I rarely used either of those...mebe cuz I tend toward group damage spells.

So how effective have you guys found KILL &/or FLAI (or FLWA or UPSM)?
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

My KILL usually always work and then i usually have my 2 ele's cast UPSM which usually always work or maybe FLAI which works most the time.

Don't have many complaints about the instant death spells, with the possible exception being that there are too many of them.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Was it growler here who has tested our patch?

We have one, but it's still not public. Go ahead and spill a little here if you want.
shaf
Townie

Post by shaf »

Growler Wrote,
""Appreciate your Roguish suggestions...makes sense that a Senrat might be best suited for Rogue-like activities...I've only tried an Elf (or 1/2 Elf?).

So what's the advantage of moving your Rogue up with the tanks?
Does that seem to help Shadow-Hiding &/or DeathBlow abilities?
Or noticing traps & such ahead? (which mine never bothered to mention!)""

I put the Rogue in front because I found with the higher DEX. the Rogue usually got the first attack during a melee.

Some of the special items I use for the Rogue are:
Shadow Shield (DX +2)
Shadow Blade (Automatic Deathblow)

Additionally when rolling for a Rogue try to get as good an Iq and Luck as possible, I recommend that both be at least 13.

Cheers

Shaf
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah, I did some patch-testing a few months ago...wish I could recall better, but seems:
--the early portion of the game was tougher (for various reasons~some of which may have been altered/re-balanced since)
--there were some cool new items (often specialized for a certain class/race)
--some of the weaker races & classes/skills were beefed up..
--ThunderHammer function was fixed (yippee!)
--level advancement adjusted so it should be easier for the ARC's & Ele's to reach their top respective rankspells (this was one of the main complaints at the old forum)

basically, enough changes, fixes, & additions to make it worth re-playing for those really into the game. :P

=+=+=

Thanks for the Rogue-info, Shaf!

All sounds good but I'm wondering about 2 things:
1-even with her Shadow Blade (& shadow-shield), my Rogue would still not always kill (usually did several hundred points damage); again, my main issue was just getting her to Hide 1st!
2-manual sez Rogue only needs 14 (min) Dex...but you say hi-IQ is also important? ~if so, then that's great to know (tho' too late for my quick, but no-suh-brite 'Slip'!)
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

I'm in the same kind of boat as Growler re testing. Didn't want to mention it before now. Hope to see the "real patch" soon.

DX is definitely helpful for getting first attack.
As for IQ, don't know if it helps Rogues at all. Except for possibly the same "saving throw" kind of bonus that Luck might affect.
1 point 21 jigawatts!
shaf
Townie

Post by shaf »

Growler,

The Rogues High IQ is to help with searching for traps and hidden doors.

My current Party is 7 characters,
Dawrf Warrior, Saurian Red Claw , Half -Elf Paladin and Human Monk in Front rank.
The Back rank has Elf Bard, Beggan Rogue and Elf Archanist.

Shaf
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

I'm a big fan of rollin' fer high dex for all my crew...getting 1st swat (whether blade or mage) along with ability to dodge bullets 8) always seemed advantageous; best D is a good O mentality..

But I'm curious now if all attributes affect every character?
Does IQ or WI affect a Warrior, for ex?
Does a Rogue benefit from high Wisdom?
Some attrib's seem universal...such as DEX, STR, CON, LK...but how 'bout IQ, WI, & COM? (& does CH only affect shop wheelin'n'dealin?)

Seems...almost...philosophical :roll:

Shaf, how ya likin yer Red Claw & your Monk?
shaf
Townie

Post by shaf »

Re. Red Claw and Monk

Red Claw-

Although I have used a Red Claw in all my Partys am still pretty miffed that the Red Claw gets NO Barbarian Skill as was stated in the manual.
I reported it a few time, keepsd beink promised in the patches , maybe I'll get lucky with the next patch. The RC makes a good Tank when use in the front line.

Monk -
I tried using the Monk in my last Party just as a test on how a Character could survive with no weapons. Tough using the character until about level 15 and then gets easier. Although the Monk cannot use much Armour the Natural AC makes up for it.

Form all characters in my party the Monk has the best AC.

Cheers

Shaf
Last edited by shaf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.