Know Class Act(ion)!

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

What is yer Favorite Class of the Realm?

Arcanist
15%
Elementalist
23%
Barbarian
No votes
Monk
8%
Paladin
8%
Psi Knight
31%
Saurian Red Claw
No votes
Warrior
8%
Bard
No votes
Ranger
8%

Total votes: 13

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Party make-up really doesn't matter too much. I was able to get by lone Ranger ( 8) ) to level 13 without dying once. I would probably have gotten him further, but I go bored of that experiment and added a few more characters.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

March those 3 (level 3) mages over to the Guard Tower & see how boring it is... :twisted:

So how did your 3 mages handles the groups of Townies & Dwarves at the outset when they were all level 1?
-were you playing it straight (i.e., no cheatin')?
-game difficuly set to EZ level, perhaps?

Mebe if your Ele's both started as Geo's (with hi-dex to increase odds of 1st strike) & each cast DUST right off... still, it'd be a tough haul, especially to the store for some gear!
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Origen, how 'bout some details of how you managed a lone Ranger (starting out by himself at level 1?). Seems like one encounter with 10 townies or a handful of dwarves would've smoked his butt--esp. before he got to the store for decent armor/weapons??
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I started the Ranger Brand new at level 1. I did a little extra rolling to make sure I have good stats, since I knew he would be on his own.

Also, it seems like the game engine takes party size into account (or at least to an extent), because I didn't get the same # of monsters that I got with 6-8 party members. For the first couple ov levels, I pretty much had to hang out outside of the temple, and run in after every fight. Then, I picked up some good armor (Dwarven Mail) and a good weapon (which I forget), along with an eelball to help fry some baddies.

After I got to level 4, I talked to Naris and took the Red Vials. I then kept fighting Guardians until I hit level 13, which was pretty much no time. No cheating, and starting out at level 1.

I will admit, hanging out in fromt of the temple may seem a little wussy, but at that point, you really don't have much of a choice.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Ok...figured on the extra rolling, grabbing an eelball (or deux :wink:), & hangin' near the Temple. Didn't realize the game adjusted monster#'s according to party size...seems sorta reasonable. I'll have to try it...one character could be fun for a bit. Also, the last few times I played, it was on the 'impossible' setting, so that's prolly skewed my sense of the game. :?

Better grab some eelballs while they're hot...in the forthcoming patch/expansion? think they'll either be history, more expensive, or some extra limitation on 'em. On the old forum, one of the devs (in a drunken stupor, perhaps?) admitted that the eelballs were a crude inside joke that weren't supposed to make it into the release version of the game! hmm..

Sim story with that super-strength-enhancing Champion Stone that Warriors & Rogues can pick up cheap at the local 7-11. Your guys'll hit mucho harder with this set of stones.. :P
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

My warrior deeply appreciates her champion stone... Little extra strength sure comes in handy! Hope they don't get rid of it.
shaf
Townie

Post by shaf »

Concerning using a rogue.
After a few attempts I found the best results were with a Female Senrat with high Dexterity.

I also had a few special items that helped greatly, generally I tried to use any item that gave Plusses to Dex and Luck.

Starting out the Rogue should be in the back rank but as soon as you rack Level 25 put ther Rogue in ther Front line.

Cheers

Shaf
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Appreciate your Roguish suggestions...makes sense that a Senrat might be best suited for Rogue-like activities...I've only tried an Elf (or 1/2 Elf?).

So what's the advantage of moving your Rogue up with the tanks?
Does that seem to help Shadow-Hiding &/or DeathBlow abilities?
Or noticing traps & such ahead? (which mine never bothered to mention!)
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Only one Ele was a Geo, mostly for no reason at all. Other was a Hydro IIRC. I spent alot of time in front of the temple as well, making quick trips to the inn to rest some and recover some SP. I also ran from any encounter that was way too much for them. Once I hit level 3, it was smooth sailing. I have never adjusted any of the settings save video, so the diff is on whatever default is.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

That's cool...good strategery..makesense.
Just my crew (albeit bigger ones that thus may find it more difficult to 'get away' with running) never had much luck running... suggest we all try changing the difficulty to 'impossible' setting & then rolling up a single (hi-stat, of course) character & see what she can do--no running allowed!

Still wish we could play a simplified ver of DW online...if only with a single character in arena-style combat...could always expand it later to include multi-chars & adventures.

But apparently it's hell to program & implement/coordinate...especially w/ a turn-based RPG.. :(
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

That would be awesome to have dw online... but i bet the bandwith and server space would cost an absolute fortune.
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

For Elementalists, I strongly suggest avoiding Geo & Hydro as the first path.

If you want an online turn-based RPG, I've been going to www.battleon.com and www.phantasyrpg.com for a while.
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

in response to Doug:
mebe...but seems like you could have the graphics/audio already (downloaded to) on the client side, so then the server would just manage little prompt-thingies... thus very little bandwidth or even file-space would be necessary on server-side...cuz the bulk of the data & workload is client-side

sounds so circular as to make logic?

but again, if they started out simple to test for interest...then expand..??
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

HGamer wrote:For Elementalists, I strongly suggest avoiding Geo & Hydro as the first path.[/url] for a while.
Generally agree...if you have 2 Ele's, then I'd prolly go with 1 Aero (ARWI rocks) & 1 Pyro (BLLI along with potent offensive spells) ...but I wonder if getting the Geo's DUST spell right away might prove helpful?

Thanks for the online T-B RPG suggestions! :P
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

As to the online DW, I'd think that the online specific coding would be the @#&*!, not anything else.

To Elementalists paths: I didn't say I had picked the most effective path.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.