Game crashes at one specific point

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Co1980
Townie

Game crashes at one specific point

Post by Co1980 »

Hi everyone!

I am one of the new users who got DW from the Gamers' Gate indie bundle. It took me a few pointers from someone to get started properly, but once I leveled up for the first time, I was completely addicted!

I read a lot about random crashes of the game but all I suffered from where crashes upon quitting the game (and who cares about that?). However, I have now reached one specific point at which my game will crash all the time. On the Gamers' Gate Tutor, I did not find anyone with the same specific crash point, so I assume it is me/my computer.

The point is when I descend to the "mystical looking" stairway in (mandatory) quest number 2, from level 2 to 3. If I press "Y", the game will crash.

I am using Windows Vista and my system meets all of the requirements in terms of memory. However, I did NOT think of installing any patches/updates when I downloaded the game, as I assumed it was a finished product of which the latest version was being offered.

Could anyone advise me on what steps to take (preferably steps which allow me to keep/re-use my save game, which I have already backed up)? Many thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text.

TL;DR: game crashes in quest 2 when trying to go from level 2 to 3; please help.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

If you haven't installed the patches, then you are probably running into one of the monster pics that caused ctd. At minimum, you need to install 2.01b unofficial. Go to here http://www.devilwhiskey.com/forums/view ... c&start=30 and scroll down until you get the link. Follow the instructions. The ogre pic, was the main culprit for ctd, and this fixed it, as well as several other issues.
Enjoy.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Co1980
Townie

Post by Co1980 »

Thanks for the advice! By now, I am happily proceeding :-)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

If you are starting with just the game, I highly, highly, highly suggest that you start over with the Megamod. It incorporates all of the player created mods (except Origen's BT1 recreation) into the game, thus extending it, allowing you to reach new levels, and increase the fun factor by 10! The mods are every bit as enjoyable as the game.
Co1980
Townie

Post by Co1980 »

If the Megamod is just as much fun as this unofficial patch I had to install, I will gladly skip it. The unofficial patch made me level about 25 times immediately, giving me all kinds of new skills (half of which do not work), yet also allowing every single enemy to hit my rear row. Very frustrating indeed.

I read about this earlier on and I even kept my original game files, but unfortunately my save game file will no longer work with the original game files, so now I am forced to play in the patch world. Which has other bugs of its own, btw, so I wonder if I will be able to proceed to the end now, as I had to do some switching back and forth between the files to be able to circumvent some specific points.

The fun has been seriously reduced :-(
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

The readme file tells you to do it only on a new game, not a current game. It is more than worth starting fresh. Once you get past this, you shouldn't have hiccups.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Really a shame that the latest 'official' ver (upon which the latest unofficial ver was based--and which could only fix a few things since the source code was never released) was never re-balanced in terms of monster's overly improved ability to hit any of yer crew with ranged attacks.

So, while some things were fixed, the 'ranged attack' re-balancing couldn't be fixed w/o source code.

As Chaney said, best not to mix patches mid-game.. better to restart a new game with whichever ver ye prefer. If you prefer the slightly older 2.0, then you can do a couple/few? manual patches..incl swap out the old Ogre pic, etc.

But def want to play the Megamod at some point.. perhaps after playing thru the orig game.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor