Is "The Maze" a mod?

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Stax
Nomad

Is "The Maze" a mod?

Post by Stax »

Does anybody know if this was an added mod, and if so who did it?
This was the first time I played the game with the latest patch, so I have not seen it before.
If it was a mod, I can only say a job well done indeed.

I am now in the guard tower, I have two saved games running, one with the standard monster set, and one with the modified "Stax" monster set.

I will take a screen shot and post it up if I am able.

Does anybody know if there is a limit o the number of "GROUPS" allow in a combat round? I have see groups (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) but if I make 99 stone clerics and they all muster up Golems, will I crash the game?

Stax
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Hello, I believe you are in Ricks Tales of the North. I have always maintained that it was better than the game itself. Have you been combating red eyed ravens, rabbits, etc.? If so, you are definitely there. It is definitely for higher level characters, and it only gets better. I don't know the answer to the groups question however. Have fun!!
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Stax
Nomad

Post by Stax »

Well, yes a fantastic add on to the game.
I started to replay a couple of weeks ago, my 3 time.
I crashed my save game just after finishing the Cloak Quest, so started again.
This time I modified the dungeon numbers to quite silly levels, but had fun in the early stages. My party got quite strong soon after.
Mind you fighting 65000 baddies (in the guard tower) on many occasions, time consuming but again fun. Again I crashed my game (I was level 396) and was messing around in the dungeon straight of the city. Mind you I was quite powerful.
My Warrior did 2800 points of damage with his Perfect long sword, more on the un-dead with the Necroblade.

I completely reloaded "AGAIN" and found the "impossible' setting in the config menu. Restarted with a new party of 8, which I never did before.
1 x Knight, 2 x PSK, 1 x Rouge, 2 x ARC and 2 x ELM (4 magic users).

I completely searched every dungeon, every square and when completed each level, I would rest until no more monsters appeared.
I made one rule, BAN the Mind Vortex spell. I did buy it and use it but only when I became weary late at night.
I never ran from battle, fought every time and ended up level 76 on my tanks and 64 on the mages.

So every square in every dungeon and I still seem to have missed a few things.

The Darklight Doubleblade for one.
Aruiberu's Bow and Quiver
Aruiberu's Forest Tunic
Everfull Flask
Girdle of Takáru
Golden Codpiece of Light
Health Belt
Holy Book
Ring of Spell Absorbtion
Mana Gem
Magic Carpet

So that's what I seemed to have missed out.

Again a great little game that just sucks you in.

Stax
A+ 100%
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

If I remember correctly, most of those items were never actually put in the game. The Golden Codpiece of Light can be found in the palace, next to the AG. Just rest inside there, and in some of the random battles, it will be part of the loot. Did you (I)nvoke the necroblade? It can destroy whole groups of enemies. Works especially nice on dragons that way.
Stax
Nomad

Post by Stax »

I did actually get the Golden Cod Piece.

The druids Challenge and Tales of the North, were great. The Elements challenge was also a good inclusion but could have been a bit harder, based on the fact you had to finish the Guard Tower before going there. But still good. The Challenge just outside the main gates, also good. The Dungeon in the bottom left of the wasteland I did at level one, that was a challenge.

It is sort of a shame that this game never really took off, I would have been great to see a lot more mods, but it would be impossible to beat Dragonbaits Tales of the North. Truly epic.

So maybe in a couple of years I'll drag it out for a fifth time.

Talk soon

Stax
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Just to give credit where credit is due, Tales of the North is Rick Stavern. Dragonbait did some fine mods, but not that one.
Stax
Nomad

Post by Stax »

Sorry about that, Great job to RICK.

I have just started again. Just to see if you can in fact keep the "White Antidote".

Well you can't. You do the Naris quest and follow on's, but if you arrive at Yoda's house without the AMULET AND WHITE ANTIDOTE he does not appear in the house. "nobody appears to be home..."
However, you can now go and do any of the other quests with the White antidote. You just can't do the main quest line.
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Hello Stax :

The Mana Gem and other uniques should be in the Shoppe's special inventory. Did you complete this mini-mod ?
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
Stax
Nomad

Post by Stax »

Can you give me a heads up on "which" mini mod. PM me if you don't want it on here.

I completed all of the game, as far as I know, but as for the SHOPPE, I have no idea.

Just so you know, I have restarted again. This time with a very strange party.

I must be missing something in regards to the Shoppe.

Stax
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Did you catch the flyer (advertisement type)? If so, that was the initial part. It is outside of Rennibister.
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

chaney wrote:Did you catch the flyer (advertisement type)? If so, that was the initial part. It is outside of Rennibister.
More precisely, this mini-quest starts with a piece of paper flying around the town. Once you have it, quest for the shop outside Rennibister.

Stax
Nomad

Post by Stax »

Thanks.
Is there a key to activate the paper flying around, ie a quest that needs to be completed, like the cloak of the true hero?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Yeah the Maze was Rick's mod. My (released) mod is "The Basement" just outside of the city. I also made some modding tutorials that might be of interest to you if you are interested in that sort of thing. You can find them in the modding section of this forum.
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Stax wrote:Thanks.
Is there a key to activate the paper flying around, ie a quest that needs to be completed, like the cloak of the true hero?
No; the quest is active from the start, but the occurences of the paper are random; once found and opened, the shop remains accessible; the special inventory is unlocked by completing a subquest.

Stax
Nomad

Post by Stax »

Strange indeed. I do remember on a previous game the piece od paper, but since then I have seen nothing.
I have walked the town for an hour of so. Is there any way to find out if it is activated. I do have the latest patch, or so I believe. And like I said, I have seen the paper in a previous game, just not this one.

Dragonbait. When I read your reply, I had, not ten minutes before that been battling 25 bloody dragons. Took 25-30 minutes, mind you I do have a very odd party.
Having played a few times before, I now have one "EL" no other magic user, and my EL can ONLY cast defensive spells, heal, shield, push and a few others (my choice) so my tanks have to do all the work. AND HOW MAY HIT POINTS DO THISE BLOODY UBU's HAVE??????
It does make the game somewhat more challenging though. And with the difficulty level at to "impossible" things can go wrong quickly, like 55 Nomads (60' feet away). I am in desperate need of the "draw foes" but that is a long, long way off from where my spell caster is. About level 26 or so.

This really is one of those games that you can sit back and hack.
Great work on the "basement" and now the mods actually exceed the original game.

Stax
Who once fought off 65000 Lich, and 99000 Orc's Without using MIVO. And with a party of 2.