How to keep the 3 magic rings... AND get the Cloak OTTH

General Discussion of the FULL GAME only.
No spoilers please.

Moderator: Admin

Nangor.am
Townie

How to keep the 3 magic rings... AND get the Cloak OTTH

Post by Nangor.am »

Here's a way to keep all the magical rings (Cloak Of The True Hero Dungeon)

Simply phaze your way through the wall(s) to get the CLOAK...

1) Go to the room in the west (map: north-east)
2) Cast OPWA to the northern wall
3) Get the cloak
4) Cast OPWA to the southern wall

= Cloak + 3 rings

:)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey--what do you think this is?? Some kinda game you can just play around with!?! :o

(only prob is that when the game realizes you've pulled a fast one, it retaliates by quietlysecretly cursing each of the 4 prizes ~ the rings began to feel a bit snug at first...& the cloak starts to feel a little too warm...then..well, it's best to experience the curse rather than just hear tale of it :wink:)

Presented by the "Welcome to the Devil Whiskey Forum!" committee.
:P

Hey, Nangor-Tibor, how 'bout x-lating some of your verse for U.S.??
(Babel Fish may not do it justice!)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I always wondered if it was possible to get the best of both prizes, but was always too lazy to try anything myself. Although, I would have been too busy thinking of all kinds of complicated scenarios, such as changing scripts and such, instead of just phazing a wall.

It seems a little anticlimatic.
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

I haven't confirmed it, but the way the events and scripts are set up, phasing to the part where you get the Cloak and bypassing where you give up the 3 rings does look like it should work. Major congrats to Nangor on finding a new exploit that even works in the demo version! 8)

HEY ADMINS! :!: Can we get this thread moved into the Demo Spoilers area?
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Nangor.am
Townie

So long, and thanks for all the fish

Post by Nangor.am »

@ Growler

Yes indeed, I like to 'play' around with every game a play...

Don't understand me wrong, I hate cheaters and all these HEX-EDITOR LAMERS. I just spell my arse off for nothing but the fun of it.

[I played all the Bard's Tale Games on my C64 and I love the whole gameplay of these kind of role-playing games.]

===

Ah, and I think the poor Babel Fish would go nuts if he have to translate some of my verses - they're even worse than vogon lyrics.

HEY ADMINS! :!: Can you get me another Tongue o' the Dragon and... okay... get this thread moved into the Demo Spoilers area? :wink:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey, that's a cool menacing (& HUGE) avatar pic ya got there!
Apparently the 6k ava-pic limit is gone now??

(hmm..may havta break out my old huge-booby-trappers pic :twisted:)

How far along are ya in the game?
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Nangor.am
Townie

Post by Nangor.am »

Thanks.

Well I'm just at the beginning. The riddles are quite easy (so far).

But unfortunately, I'm stuck at level 4 of the cellars - because of my CPU, I guess. Each time the 'ENDFIGHT' starts - my good ole' Athlon 1600 freezes :cry: It took me about one hour (!) for the first battle round and then... NOTHING. There is no way to go on fighting! :cry:

Well, I wonder if my CPU is really the problem ? Or do I need a patch for this part of the game ? Can anybody help me ? Or is it the 'curse of the 3 false rings' ? :wink:

=

But now to something completely different:

I think the LEVEL II AEROMANCER SPELL: 'ARWI' belongs to the very best spells in the game. No joke...

Disadvantages:
==========
- range of 10'
- 'only' 1 group is affected

Advantages:
========
- spell dices increase with every new level of the spellcaster
- the only 'improving spell' against a WHOLE GROUP OF FOES
- e.g. level 53 spellcaster = 53xD5 damage!
- IT ONLY COSTS 4 SPELLPOINTS !

Okay, there might be some more effective spells, but they are quite expensive to cast.
Last edited by Nangor.am on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

There's a chance it's due to an issue with displaying the animated version of the 'Mind Ogre' image. Lots of folks (incl. myself) had this prob...I've posted the older, non-animated Ogre pic here:

Ogre replacement pic (if your sys crashes every time a MindOgre gets ready to pop up):
www.notheresistor.com/314.html

go into this folder--the typical default dir:
C:\Program Files\DevilWhiskey\pics\monsters

& replace the existing 'Ogre' pic...both 'Mind Ogre' & 'Ogre' use same pic..

Jon (admin) mentioned this last week in the Technical Help forum..1st topic listed called "Announcement: Small Bug Patches"

---------

ARWI's def. one of the very best all-round spells!
Sometimes I use it just to clear the air.. :wink:

Just gotta be on top of the monsters for it to work...but there are other spells that improve with level (such as: EEST & FIBL), but they don't do quite as much damage on avg...since they're 1D4xlevel vs. ARWI's 1D5xlev... but EEST costs 3 sp.pts vs ARWI & FIBL's 4sp pts.

do a search for 'ARWI' for more forum yaps...
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

My list of "best spells for doing damage" should be in the spreadsheet that Growler now has. ARWI is definitely one of my favorites. After some analysis, I suggested a particular route for Elementalists based on the damage-producing spells. Best defense is a good offense...
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yep, hit 'em hard & rapidly-repeatedly! :P

HGamer made a terrific spreadsheet which I listed in 'General Discussion' under the thread 'Links to DW-related files (by generous members)'...

copied this over..
HGamer wrote:
I have an Excel spreadsheet with race/class requirements and deduced values of race bonus to stats, spell list (much like dom's), "best" damage spells, item list, crafting levels, pre-patch experience per level and nice chart..
Here 'tis...
www.notheresistor.com/320.html

you peeps lookin' for some inside skinny oughter check it out! :wink:
Nangor.am
Townie

Post by Nangor.am »

@ all

Many thanks for your help.

But I think in my case it seems to be another problem:

When the battle starts I see the picture of an fire element and then my computer becomes very sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow - until nothing moves. Perhaps I have to replace the fire elemantal's pic, too.

I will replace the Mind Ogre picture anyway - I had this bug a few times in other fight. -Thanks-

But the old problem is the same.

@ Growler

:idea:

I think there might be a way to solve the problem, but therefore I would need your help:

I saved the game 1 step ahead of the fight.
Can I send you this file (164 KB) by mail?
Can you do the fight and save the game afterwards.
Then send the new file to me ?

Okay, if you think that's too much of doing a favour for someone you don't know - I can understand and it would be ok, of course. Perhaps with some new ideas I could go on.

But if you would do this favour for me - you would cast the spell:

Turn Desperate Into Bullish 'TDIB' on me

:wink:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Tell ya what, if you make your Avatar pic smile like a junkie lookin' to wheedle a fix...then Sure! :?

I'll PM ya...in the future, I'll have to charge X* gold pieces for such services. :P (*amount to be determined based on a complex slew of unrelated factors)

Just be Sure to make yourself an extra backup copy of yer file...in case, battle-after, I take your party to the tavern for a round o' Dragon Tongues!! :twisted:
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

E-mail Jon for a replacement pic of the elemental. Preferably, replace all of the elemental pics. The animated pics are trouble for a lot of people and unless you have a tip top shape PC, the animated pics will probably be too much.
"Have no way as way. Have no limitation as limitation."
Nangor.am
Townie

Post by Nangor.am »

Thank you very much.

I had to replace a couple of pics that caused my PC to crash (e. g. Fire Elemental, Mind Ogre, Skeleton, Ghost, Darkwood Tree... - replaced them by the demo file pics).

Now, it WORKS!!!

:D

That's an amazing spreadsheet HGamer made :shock:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: Lagoth Zanta wears a bra!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I actually replaced all of my animated pics with the ones from the earlier releases, and created via photoshop and Print Screen any new animated pic that wasn't in the demo. I haven't had a problem since.