Were the tools ever updated?

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

Rickstavern
Black Claw

Were the tools ever updated?

Post by Rickstavern »

About a year ago... I was working on a mod, but I ran into several issues when it came to creating new monsters. Basically there were a few issues that there were no workarounds for.

I was wondering is the toolkit has been updated. If so, I might pick up where I left off (amazingly, I still have all of the source) or I might at least pass off my work to another interested party.

What has changed with Devil Whiskey so far this year? anything?
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

The admins'll be the ones to reveal if mod-tools updates/grades are coming, but I'm sho hoping so!

I tried some modding a couple months ago (with the latest mod-tools available then (v1.1) & even with much help from the estimable Origen & HGamer, et al, I found it rather difficult to deploy my mod-ideas. Got a simple dungeon with monsters done, but there's a Lot to learn...& the 'feedback system' (for error-correction) takes rather long in my highly humble opine.

But it's a great idea & Origen has managed an awesome mod of BT1...but we're not all up to his Mod-God capabilities...so I'm hoping the devs will conjur up an easier moddin' sys for the rest of us modest wannabees. 8)

Rick, ya know they've released a beta update/patch of DW, right?
It's got quite a few changes & enhancements...makes for an even better game. :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I currently have version 2 of the game. So I asume that the patch is a more recent version?

I read that there was a fixed version of the action editor. Where can I obtain this? One of the problems I encountered was that all the special attacks from my monsters were being resisted.

I'm willing to try and finish up the mod, but I probably won't implement all of the items that I had originally planned for. However, I'm still happy with how it played. It just needs finishing and some bugfixing.

http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Is there a fixed version of the action editor? I had not heard that. I am waiting for one, however, because of the problem (or more accurately inability of) creating Thaumaturgist spells.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

BTW, screenshots look great!!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Awesome screenshots! :P
Those look like several brand new textures, right??
I'm thinking the devs may want a piece of those patterns, yo.

Hope you'll continue & finish your mod!

Don't know about the A.E., but the game is up to v2.01a (beta)

hey, anybody notice the new [OverLord Edit]??
-nevermind, Growler might've jumped the proverbial blunderbuss.. :wink:
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I made about 5MB of new graphics. Most of them are created from free textures that are available from various sources. I wanted enough so that the areas didn't look so bland. You can actually do quite a few nice things if you take a little time to decorate. There were a couple of changes I wanted made to the graphics tools that convert textures for DW, but I can live with what I accomplished in the end.

I really, really must get ahold of a corrected action editor. There wasn't much left to do in my mod but to create all of the new monsters and some new items. I need motivation. What ended my development was that none of the monsters I created were working.

If I can't get it finished, then I might turn everything over to someone who will.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

What was your monster problem again? I created all now monsters for my BT mod, and they seem to be working okay. The only complaints I had with the action editor was that I couldn't create an attack that just attacks my first 4 members (in meele range) and I couldn't create any Thaumaturgist spells.

But the monsters I did create seem to be working okay.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

My problem was that melee attacks were being resisted.

There was another bug where paladins could force boss type monsters to surrender. Was this ever addressed?
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

My problem was that melee attacks were being resisted.

There was another bug where paladins could force boss type monsters to surrender. Was this ever addressed?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

From what I was told, the Command to Surrender was fixed in the last game patch.

So, you created monsters with a melee attack, but the characters were resisting the attacks?

I'm not sure about that one. So far, most of my monster testing has been low level. The way I see it, they should be able to resist attacks. It seems like a 50-50 chance of getting hit by my monsters now.

Is it just the attacks you created? Is there a similar existing attack that you can give your monster, to at least test if that is being resisted?

Although, if there is a similar attack, why would you need to create your own...
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I checked renibister hall, but I do not see the tool set or any patches for download. Where are these items now located?

The error with skills was with all newly created ones. I could not use any of the existing skills because they simply did not do enough damage or hit often enough. The bug was that melee skills were being assigned an elemental resist even though none was selected. Because of this, the attacks would be resisted. I thought that an updated toolset had been released that fixed this issue.

It will take some time to get this set back up I think. Does anyone know what version of the python software is required? The action editor does nto work with the version that I downloaded.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Maybe the download section was 'down' earlier? :?

I just tried & looks like everything's available now...a couple of patches (up to v2.01a) & toolsets (up to v1.1).

You clicked the 'download' section/link at Rennibister Hall, right?

URL should be:
http://renhall.devilwhiskey.com
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I have "wxPython 2.5 for Python 2.2" along with regular Python 2.2

I believe you need that as well, although I have forgot what it does. Except that it allows you to use the action editor.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Looks like the problem is that I have no active subscriptons. Sorry, but I'm not going to buy the game again. If there is another method for accessing the downloads then please let me know.

Thanks