Fixes/Additions to Devil Whiskey for modders

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Fixes/Additions to Devil Whiskey for modders

Post by origen »

Well, I am sure it was mentioned earlier as well, but I figured I'd make another list of fixes/additions that would help modders.

1. Ability to script monsters joining your party.
2. Correcting the inability to have BP's restored through scripting.
3. Releasing an update to the action editor, hopefully fixing the Thaumaturgist spell bug.
4. Complete list of all commands that can be used through scripting (APIUtils and EventAPI). Also an updated tutorial list would be beneficial.

Of course, now that I started the list, I am drawing a blank on what else.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Some other ideas I had:

5. Either the ability to edit existing classes, or create new classes.
6. The ability to add/edit/change all spells in the game, not just the ones that are in the action editor.

I am sure I will have more later, as I had another idea, but it slipped my mind.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

I'll leave the heavy lifting to the wise & learned Origen, and attempt to speak for all us lite-waits.. :D

How 'bout if the next mod-update could include some simplified GUI-style tools where someone with limited time & technical skills/know-how could either build simple terrains/dungeons, or make basic modifications to existing ones?

A few points, clicks, & drop-down menus (actually, drop-downs tend to slow things down--better to have all the options visible--even if tiny font is used--so no time wasted with extra clicks & scrolling thru lists to choose same things over & over) & voila! Origen is a made man. Again. And again.

So, the best of both worlds: complex, but arduous, moddin' but also quik/lite'n'EZ moddin' for those of us with nice'n'ez hair coloration. :wink:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Small mods to dungeons are easy if you are talking making a door or substituting textures.

I think we can do some of the tools things first and a GUI might take longer.

New classes can almost happen now, but we need to do some work in the engine to support it in the other menu functions.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

That would be good. As of right now, you can create a class, and are even able to select it when creating your new character, but the character never appears on the Gather new member list.

Another thing I thought of is releasing a newer items and monster list, since right now, if any modder adds anything to either a monster list or the item list, and creates the new dat file, it will not include the newer monsters (Philibuster, wolfman, etc.) or new Items (not that I remember what they were.)

But it is good to know that the devs are still working on some things with this game, still. It seems that a lot more work has come up after the game was released.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

origen wrote: if any modder adds anything to either a monster list or the item list, and creates the new dat file, it will not include the newer monsters (Philibuster, wolfman, etc.) or new Items (not that I remember what they were.)

Not sure I caught that or understood this at all. If you add something and then compile it, the new ones should be listed along with the old ones.

The new class options should not be much of an issue, but it still requires time.
A new race otoh, may be a little more work.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

What I was saying is that the monsters list that modders have came with the latest release of the toolkit, which was a while ago. After that release, new monsters were added or changes (as I mentioned, the Philibuster and Wolfman). If you look at the monsters.txt file in the toolkit, they do not contain these monsters. So, when the monsters file is compiled, these new monsters will not be included. I hope this makes more sense.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Admin wrote:New classes can almost happen now, but we need to do some work in the engine to support it in the other menu functions.
I don't suppose there are any updates with this?