BT Mod being tested, but some bad news as well

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

So you tried editing the existing Obsidian arrows but they dont show up? Which shop are you looking at?

Can you get these arrows at all?

I will also say it just to say it, but you did recompile the file to creat a new dat file and placed it in your data folder, correct? :D
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Maybe your savegame file keeps track of how many have been sold of a particular item? -thus, only changing certain aspects of the items file may not properly update the savegame file?

Or do items get depleted within a particular DW installation with multiple savegames?? -that would seem both reasonable & terrible! :?

[edit]
Origen posted a picosecond b4 moi.. rude dude!

I was a-fear'd there might be some need for compiling & re-compiling.. can anyone explain how to do that? ..Origen, oh friend oh buddy? :D
Last edited by Growler on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I tried a whole new game as a test vehicle. I am using the shop closest to the ag. I did not find them anywhere in the game so far, that is why I tried that as a test.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I am guessing the compile issue is what is going on. I will also say it just to say it, but ? Compile? No, i just manipulated the text file, using the rationale, that it was where the program pulled the dat from. Obviously this is wrong, so......
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well that sounds like it is your problem there. As I mentioned, DW had many issues, and this is one of them. Once you make any changes to your items text files (either the items, class, or itemcreate, which are in the same folder), you need to double click the ifltool application in the same folder. This will create a new items.dat, itemcreate.dat, class.dat files. (There may be one more, but that is what I remember off the top of my head.) These files then need to be copied and pasted into your data folder, overwriting the existing files. But, here is the catch...if you are using any of these files that someone else created, and you do not edit the same items.txt file, some items may dissappear on you, since your new items.dat file will only contain the items listed in your items.txt file. The same goes for the other files. Does that make sense?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Bingo. Thanks for the push. Sometimes you just feel the need to tweak something when you have played it enough. I just wanted to try some silly stuff, like name change and stats, etc.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Cheney, do you have the Modder's Toolkit?

ToolKit for Windows v1.1
DevilWhiskey-Tools-1_1.exe

You get the ifltool compiler app when you run/install the above file.. you'll also get a folder with pdf files explaining how to mod--tho they aren't very easy to follow for most of us.

Think I had an easier-2-follow tutorial (in .doc format) covering some mod basics--at least partly if not mostly based on Origen's Modding 4 Dummies :wink: forum posts a few eons past. But his Modding Tutorial went kersplat when the forum crashed I think. Will try to dig it up for anyone interested.. or Dragonbait may have it at his site?

As Origen wuz suggesting, be sure to use the latest items_BL2D.txt file (from the MegaMod) if you want your changes to be integrated with the MegaMod, otherwise, the items file in the Toolkit will be an old version--think the 2.0 version of DW?
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

The toolkit is available on my site in case you don't have it.
http://www.weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/dw/dwtools.zip

As well as some threads I copied over a few years ago.
http://www.weekendwastemonster.net/crpg ... mbers.html
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Origen already got me straightened out. I was trying this in the bt mod of his. I didn't have an issue after compiling it.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Dragon, you've got a really great site with lots of goodies, DW stuff & other RPG's! :D
Appreciate your posting all that as well as hosting some Growlie files.

Question for any Mod-Gods here..
If you already have a crew active within a MegaMod installation, but you want to alter the items list.. what's the best way to go about it?

Should this work?

1 -- working within the ModTools items folder, replace the old items_BL2D.txt file (that comes with the Mod Tools) with the newer MegaMod one

2 -- edit that newer/MegaMod items_BL2D.txt file as desired

3 -- execute the ilftool.exe file in the Tool's item folder (which should contain the newer + edited items_BL2D.txt)

note: do you simply execute the ilftool.exe, or do you need to run it 'on' the items_BL2D.txt file? (use mouse to drag one file atop another? -or run a CMD line window & type one file followed by the other?)

4 -- put the outputted files in the MegaMod's data folder (replacing a few item-related files)

But even if that's accurate--could there be disconnects with other files?
Possibly..
class_BL2D.txt
and/or
itemcreate_BL2D.txt
..and potentially other issues with newer scripts, monster files etc in the MegaMod &/or issues with any existing savegames?
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

That's exactly it (for step 3, I seem to remember you just have to 2-click ilftool.exe; anyway, try and see).

As for conflicts, as long as you don't modify the item's ids and names, there should be no problem with an existing party.

Don't worry about the class and itemcreate text files since AFAIK you can't modify classes and skills, so item creation categories are not an issue.

You can actually change item names, and it will pose no problem with items already in your inventory or in shops; however, it would cause conflicts with monster drops and scripts, resulting in crashes and/or scripts not working.

Anyway, be aware that my shop mini-mod will update the latest megamod items list.
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

From the class file, the things that you can edit are the XP required for gaining levels, which races can be certain classes, as well as the initial starting equipment.

Since this is probably an old file anyway (they changed the leveling a bit with the first patch, I believe), you can probably just drag the new items file over and not the others.

I don't think you are required to use all of the same files together, so you can mix and match as you choose. But, as KSS mentioned, try not to change item names or TypeID's and you should be fine.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Thanks KSS & Origen for your feedback!
Looking forward to experimenting & hopefully not blowing too much stuff up (this time) :oops:

KSS, will keep in mind your shop mini-mod.. will integrate that once it's out.

Origen, glad you mentioned not dragging all the files over--would likely have just dragged all of them & thus lost the newer/modified XP charts, etc. 8)

Need to remember to back stuff up 1st prior to lighting various file fires ;)
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Rocket!

Got it work :D

Hit a snag first try tho--got an error message (after double-clickin' the ilftool file) saying something like 'you no have Python..blah blah.'

So, went here [need the 2.2.x ver to be compatible with DW game]
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.2.2/

downloaded the Windows installer Python-2.2.2.exe file,
and installed it--going with the defaults (which, btw, put the Python folder right in the top C:\ directory.. guessing that helps programs find it?

then ran the ilftool file again & voila! -it spat out a new items.dat file along with a few others..

so I copied the new items.dat file into my MegaMod data folder (replacing the items file there) -- after Backing Up the existing items file!

then played the game with my existing crew & sure enough--a new item was now available in the Imperial Weapons Shoppe :D

[could tell ya what it was, but then I'd have ta skewer ye, roast ye'n'et ya]
and we all know no one here tastes good.. aside from that hot elf chick. :wink:

btw, updated my Modding doc with this info--so if anyone wants it...jest ax.
Archie Stanton
Nomad

Post by Archie Stanton »

/boggle :shock: