back after nearly four months and...

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

Rickstavern
Black Claw

back after nearly four months and...

Post by Rickstavern »

Still no patch release? Still no answers to my various requests from the developers for a new skills/spells editor? No responses to my emails concerning how to use/program certain events in mods?

I'm just disappointed, really. I started work on a MOD following the release of Devil Whiskey. I first requested a bugfixed version of the action editor two years ago.

I wanted to share something with this community, however small it may be, but I just do not forsee it every coming to completion. I have decided to simply abandon it.

I did enjoy playing Devil Whiskey and I think that it could have been a good source for creating Bard's Tale style games, but the mod community really needed more support for that to happen.

So, thank you for the fun game. I would personally like to see what has been started here become even better. This would be great as a complete development system. Think about rewriting the closed parts for a full open and moddable system. I would be pretty interested in that.

Until then, good luck in your endevors (both devs and modders.)
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

If anything ever happens and I can complete my mods, I'll be sure to let you know.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

While I can imagine it's really tough for a small game company to 'make it' to the point they can afford the time & talent to be more responsive & crank out fixes/updates more quickly, it's a crying shame they don't go ahead & open-source the game code so folks like Origen & Rickstavern (& others) can have what they need to make this baby (DW game-engine) cry--or rather--Sing! And fly.

I've played the mods that Origen & Rick created (each awesome in its own way!) and that's gone a long way towards keeping my interest in the world of DW..

Just don't see how opening the source code (as they promised & especially since they're using various open-source tools/code) will hurt them? Sure seems that would instead greatly increase interest in all kinds of development leading to lots o' mods & an ever-growing community.. Lots of ways to still make money--in fact, I'd be More likely to pay for future games from a company that was open & generous with the code! And I'd also be more inclined to purchase related merchandise... nice quality hint books (& other game-related books like stories, monsters, weapons, spell-books), t-shirts, 'Hot-Chicks of DW' calendars, Songs of DW, etc. in order to further support their efforts.

I'd even be happy to pay them for user-created mods with the idea they check them out (to help assure overall quality) & host them, etc.. Be nice to split proceeds with any modder who needed it. Set up an easy PayPal system..charge like $5/mod.

Ultimately should provide them with more income which in turn should help them afford to continue development & provide better support..right?

If someone can explain why this biz-model wouldn't work--as in, be more profitable--please do! :?

Meanwhile, thanks Modders for creating terrific games & sharing them! :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I resubmitted a potential bug to Shifting Suns and I did receive a reply this time, so there is at least hope.

Still, there needs to be some reply to the numerous requests posted on these forums. So, maybe, someday. Maybe.
Barbarian Prince
Townie

Keep it up!

Post by Barbarian Prince »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to the game Devil Whiskey. I'm not a modder, but I was convinced by the dedication of this forum community to buy the game.... something different from the crap the gaming industry tries to sell... I greatly enjoyed playing it (that is, until I installed that patch curse 2.01a...)

I contacted support and some obviously nameless person replied within 24hours to send my save game in and have it checked. So although there is not much going on in this forum or from the officials (i.e. devs) at the moment, I nurse some hope that the game is still in development and THEY are at it right now.

It would be quite tragic if the whole project (including the mod & player community) would fade into oblivion, as I don't expect the gaming industry to satisfy the demands for old fashioned (read: good quality) games with depth and substance of a, um, "select few" of gamers.

I haven't bought any official games in the past months, and I won't be buying, as long as the gaming industry prefers to toss pearls of glass before swine - Devil Whiskey being an exception for good reason, e.g. a promising in depth storyline, lovely features, &ct. (you know what I'm talking about).

Now, what I'm trying to say is that I simply want to express my wish to see Devil Whiskey live and flourish and therefore encourage all 3rd party contributors to keep it up - after all it was YOU who made me buy this game in the first place ( :wink: in a sort of way). Your work and dedication is recognized and appreciated- THANKS!

So keep an edge on your sword and a wall to your back!
Disce quasi semper victurus
Vive quasi cras moriturus
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I also enjoyed the game. I do not expect the game to fade away either. If you check the homepage, then there is mention of a new adventure and upgrade. Sounds to me like the devs are planning to support their product.

Most of my frustration is just me not getting what I want. I do not know what is in the planned update. The beta patch adresses some of the bugs that originally stopped me (June 2004) but the patch by itself is useless for modding. You have to have all of the "source" to go with it.

Too much is still hidden from us. There is a long list in the suggestions board about what modders are needing, but without feedback or acknowledgment... makes it feel lonely out here.

We'll see what comes out.