Help out with some modding

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

Should we have a mod-making contest

I would be happy to give it a shot.
40%
It's a good idea, but I will not be participating.
30%
I think this is pretty stupid.
No votes
How can we possibly compete with a mod god like Origen?
30%
Growlers can't read. Can someone translate. :)
No votes

Total votes: 10

Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Found the problem. It's an issue that I encoutered once before but forgot all about. Anyway, I corrected the script so you should now get healed and get paid. Made a few cosmestic and spelling corrections, too.

Chaney is correct that the mod is for beginning characters. Following Origen's guidlines, it can be completed fairly quickly with a low level party. Due to the location of the quest starting point, I have a feeling that some may still jump in a bit too early.

I'll give it one last look before October and make any final corrections then. Let me know if you find any more problems.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I will be making a few edits to my mod before I upload it. There were a few things that I didn't like. I had designed it to be a starting point for an ongoing sidequest, but it took me about 20 minutes to complete, and I believe I give too good of a reward for this point in the game. Just based on the reward, I was able to advance my characters from level 1 to level 10 or 11. This really makes the beginning of the game too easy. I also gave out some really good treasure, which is probably too advanced for this point as well.

So, back to the drawing board, to reduce the goodies you receive, as well as make it longer (all while sticking to the 1 level map parameters of the competition)

I will send an update soon.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I also found one more item to add to the item list

Code: Select all

Shadow Blade
Also, the potion of healing (lesser) and (greater) are two more items that don't work because of the charges issue.

I will have to look for a way of hacking into the items file, since the manual way will take too long, and will still probably not include everything.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

origen wrote:I believe I give too good of a reward for this point in the game. Just based on the reward, I was able to advance my characters from level 1 to level 10 or 11. This really makes the beginning of the game too easy. I also gave out some really good treasure, which is probably too advanced for this point as well.
I decided to forgo any xp or item rewards specifically because of these reasons. The 'reward' is the journey, or something like that. I gave only a small amount of gold and some free healing. After all, you're in it to help the city, right? Right?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I don't get a huge reward! That's outrageous! Do I at least get to kick a dog?!
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Anybody who wants to win friendlies & influence baddies needs to learn the fine art of the Ulterior Reward System!

And the prize goes to....? (the mod with the biggest re:ward)

;)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Made a few last corrections and uploaded the final version.
http://home.comcast.net/~tavernx

Anyone need help to get something working? I would really like to see someone else's ideas...
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

With the due date today at midnight, it seems like only one person submitted anything. I will be posting mine a little later on. Is there anyone else who is even attempting this? The thread has created a lot of noise, but it seems not much content. Hopefully there are others. We can extend the date if someone is going to be submitting something.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, here is my mod:

http://www.geocities.com/BardsWhiskey/

It is a basic, one-level map, with some traps, a few treasures, and not much else. I threw it together pretty quickly, as the deadline was approaching, so I hope everything is working correctly.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Ah, nothing like a pleasant trek through a maze of death to relax you.

It seems that many have fallen into this trap, but few ever escape. Poor, hapless adventurers. Of course, my thirst for revenge was not satisfied.

Bonus points for using Poe. We also seem to both have a fondness for the Green Bard (as I had the place ransacked... defend the booze!)

I encountered a few issues, but nothing critical.
- DKP3 failed to give treasure for me. I looked at this and it appears that some of the treasure is specific to the 2.01 beta version (the throwing hammer?) I had applied this to a 2.0 version.
- There was a 'flag set' debugging message in the final script at the green bard.
- 5 dwarves at the table, but you only fight 4? I'm missing a dwarf!

So, I would still love to see a few more simple mods such as these. Offering my assistance to anyone who wants.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I meant to fix some of those issues that you mentioned, although I forgot about the beta patch. That has been the only version that I used, so it didn't occour to me to check back on previous releases. :x

I noticed the dwarf problem as well, and the Flag Set line, but I guess I forgot. :oops:

I was in the middle of a few different things.

I designed this to be a start to another add-on that I am considering to make in the Wilderness. Since there isn't much other modding interest as of yet, who knows if this will happen.

Thanks for the feedback. For the Poe part, I was trying to think of a way of giving a clue, and that just popped in my mind.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, I fixed two of the issues, the dwarf part and the Flag Set message.

As for the other issue, just update your version of the game. :D

Just kidding. I have no idea which items are in which version, so I will probably just leave that as is.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Alright, I finally had some time to sit down and try to learn modding. The start was not pretty. I tried opening the ifltool.exe program. It opened a little black box, and then closed immediately. What is wrong here?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

What are you trying to mod?

For basic maps and scripting, all you need is a text editor (I use one called Crimson Editor, mostly because I like the format and find it easy to work with), but anything will do.

I would start with some simple scripts placed in the town of Rennibister (things like showMessage, giveItems, optionInput, stringInput), and then expand from there.

Check out the tutorials (either the ones included with the toolkit or the ones posted on these forums) for some guidance.

And of course, ask questions. When I started modding, I placed each question in it's own topic (properly named, of course) so it makes it easier for someone else who may have the same question to easily find what they need.

I am usually around to help, and RT has been around lately, and he seems willing as well.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Well, I was using the tutorial in tools. It says to open it and use the -w option. When I open it, it just creates four new .dat files and doesn't give me the option to do squat. Am I supposed to modify the files first, then open the editor? I was under the impression that the editor was the way to modify the files. I am a complete nube at this, so if I sound ignorant with the questions, it is because I am....