Help out with some modding

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

Should we have a mod-making contest

I would be happy to give it a shot.
40%
It's a good idea, but I will not be participating.
30%
I think this is pretty stupid.
No votes
How can we possibly compete with a mod god like Origen?
30%
Growlers can't read. Can someone translate. :)
No votes

Total votes: 10

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Rick, I've still got your mod files--I could email 'em to you &/or anyone else who's interested.. files are just under 3 megs (reckon could be zippered) -def worth checking out for anyone into making their own mods.

Origen--isn't there any way to somehow extract the new items/info from the newer patch/releases? Or are they deeply encoded into some arcane file/s?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Unfortunately, there is no way that I am aware of to extract this information once the items file is compiled, although I will admit that I never really tried that much.

But, giving my knowledge of trying to extract information from a file, which is zero, it is unlikely to happen.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Ok, then.. I'll have to use my multi-modal selectively alternating bilateral attack algorithm to decompile & reverse-render the new items file. Will psycho-meme (via variegated thruput stock-schemes) to omni-cast splice-distributed break code along the net's backest bone, so it should only require a few quadrillion picosecs to crack.

Well, unless there's a snag.

:?
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

K, wrote up a mod yesterday. It can be found at http://home.comcast.net/~tavernx/

Defend Rennibister!

Yes, it's very simple and only took a few hours to write up, but I like em simple cause then I don't have to spend forever debugging.

I kinda like the idea of adding some new quests into the existing maps rather than creating some more original maps. This should provide a nice little side quest in the early game.

I welcome any suggestions. I'll probably tweak it a little in a couple of weeks.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

From the screenshots you posted, Defend Renibister looks mighty cool. 8)
but just to let you know when i clicked on the zip file it gave an error saying.....warning: bad data found at the end of the zipfile. It may still be readable.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

dragonbait wrote:warning: bad data found at the end of the zipfile. It may still be readable.
Compressed using winzip 8.1. I tested on 3 different computers and did not see that message. What OS and compression software are you using?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

using windows XP and ZipCentral version 4.01
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

dragonbait wrote:using windows XP and ZipCentral version 4.01
Seems that winzip is adding in some stuff that zipcentral cannot read. However, zipcentral is fairly old software. I doesn't appear to have been updated in close to 5 years.

If you don't want to use the free annoying pop-up version of winzip, then you can try something like 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/). It should be able to handle just about any compressed file you come across.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

maybe i'll try out the 7 zip.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Awesome, RT! :D

Looking forward to checking it out ASAP! (hopefully later tonight/tomorrow)
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, after seeing RT's post, I decided to change my idea from a seperate map to one incorporated into the DW game, so it can be played as a sidequest. I began writing it up last night, and finished up most of it today. I will probably test it out one more time before I upload it for all to enjoy.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Just finished the side quest. I had a lot of fun. Very nice touches on the conversations. I especiallly like how the town went back to its' normal appearance after the quest, but the commander wouldn't give you the time of day. You did not get healing, even thought that was promised when the battle was over, but it was pretty easy to go across the quad to the temple. Well done. My hope is that this encourages you to do more. I certainly look forward to trying any of your attempts in the future. I wish there had been more to it. Thanx for the fun, C
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

chaney:

Very strange... When I tested my party *did* get healing after the entire episode was done. I went back and completed it again just to make certain. Did you receive some extra gold reward at the end, or did that fail too?

Can anyone else tell me if the script completed successfully for them?
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

I've downloaded the mod, but been too slammed with work & out of town some, so haven't had time to install/play it yet--but def will--hopefully next few days & can then offer feedback.. really itchin' to play it right now! Arrgggh!

Roughly how long to play it?

What level crew would be best suited for it? (new crew, mid-lev, advanced?)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

This is a 2 part answer.
Rick, I did receive the gold. Even with that little misfire, no problems. Thanx again. I liked your messages when I entered certain buildings that you allowed access to, but not functionality of the place.
Growler, I would recommend not going above level 7, or it might be too easy. It took me roughly 1-2 hours, which included levelling up my characters, and doing some exploring. My party consisted of:
Psi-Knight
Paladin
Arcanist
Elementalist
Bring on the Dancing Horses!