unofficial 2.01 beta patch with corrections

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

Rickstavern
Black Claw

unofficial 2.01 beta patch with corrections

Post by Rickstavern »

I have noticed that the beta 2.01a patch contains several map and scripting errors. These errors caused missed plot points and crashes when loading some maps. It was essentially impossible to play through the game when using the beta patch.

I have corrected what errors that I have found and repackaged them into an unofficial beta patch. With this, you *should* be able to play through the entire game. If you encounter any additional map or scripting errors, let me know and I will attempt to correct them

This is only meant for those who wish to experiment with playing through the game with the beta patch installed. As with the official beta, this is in no way supported. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

http://home.comcast.net/~tavernx/
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

RT, could you provide basic tips & install instructions here?

like:
which version(s) your patch can be applied to..

should your patch only be used for New games?

does your patch work with Origen's items patch & if so--how should they be integrated?

also, any updates or consolidation of patches/fixes? :)

Thanks SO much for solving many of the buggy issues & sharing with us!
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I have uploaded a new version with additional corrections.

I have included some missing monster and item entries. I have also included the source for the monsters and items. If you are creating any mods that include items or monsters then I suggest that you use the new source from this patch.

This is still a use at your own risk update. It can break any existing saved games so it should be used for new games only.

install instruction? just unzip it over your game install. Just remember that there is no going back!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Awesome--thanks again.

Look forward to playing a new game with your new'n'improved patch!

..wonder if this'll take care of the issue a recent new player has had?
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
skaven510
Nomad

Post by skaven510 »

Cool I came back just in time for a new Beta patch :) I'll give it a try too and see if the same problems I had before resurrect themselves or have been fixed.
Despite all my rage,
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Skaven, any luck with the new patch?
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Rick,

Thank you very much for the 2.01b patch. So far so good.

General question to the group: Upon starting a new game with this patch, there is no longer a Champion Stone at the store south of Yoda's!?! I checked most of the other stores so far with my new Young party, and I couldn't find it there either. I see that new items have been added, and that the prices have been changed to make things more fair - Has the Champion Stone been removed from the game because it made low level players too strong?

If anyone has comments on this, I would appreciate it. If the Champion Stone is elsewhere in the game, please don't ruin it by telling me where it is, just let me know that it does exist somewhere in the new game. It's funny because I was just posting last week in a different thread re: getting rid of the Champion Stone from v2.0, so it looks like Rick had the same idea a few years ago after playing the game and developing his patch.

Thx
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

My understanding is that the devs did not intend to leave the Champion Stone in the game, but it slipped thru in v2.0, then removed in the update.

Adding +10 to yer fighter's (or Rogue's) ST for a few pesos was truly too cool for school.

Nice while it lasted!

Not sure I ever did this, but if playing v2.0 with the ChampStone, you could roll up yer fighters with an eye towards high DX & CN--and not worry about ST.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Yes, exactly, which made for a much better character as time went on.

Too bad it wasn't available for muchos dineros, oh well.

BTW, finished 'Save Rennibister' and 'the maze' and enjoyed. Good work all. I enjoyed solving the riddles without knowledge of the hidden clues.

My 8 person 2.01b party is now cruising at about level 14-18, sans a Psi-knight for this trip around and with a Bard, Pally, Ranger and Warrior as the muscle.

One minor problem though - at level 14, my Ranger mysteriously lost his quickbow (game error??) and cannot find it. I think my last backup was probably at level 3-4, so I don't know about going that far back in time. For now, I'm making due with the Elfbow, but it's not the same. Anyone know where to get another one?
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

p.s. I'm playing 2.01b on 'impossible' level, which has been far more challenging, although a bit annoying at times.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

One last thing: what is the deal with the 20 or 30 or 40 townspeople and dwarves and cruemen in 2.01b 'impossible' for just 500 or 600 XP? I enjoy the challenge of the better fights, but shouldn't the XP be higher? Should I be playing 2.01b on 'average' level only?

Thx
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

All observations are correct: the champion stone is not available with the current patch. We can add it back in, but we may want to give it a nerf of some kind. Any suggestions?

I will compile and release an updated beta patch soonish. I will incorporate the newly available monsters source and some additional item fixes. If you have found anything else that may require a fix then please let me know.

The only other update that we really need for the patch are new XP charts. The leveling curve was significantly changed with the beta patch, but any source was not included. Someone needs to approximate the new charts so that we can include them.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

what do you need? the XP required in 2.01b for each level of each type of character? can you interpolate some, from memory or do you need exact numbers?
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

OK, I am going to do this for you. I started a new game yesterday in 2.01b (average difficulty) and the day before, to try and double check all the characters for you. I have most of the data up to level 12, though I need to double check some, depending on the accuracy you need/want. I also need to rerun the game with some of the other characters, to confirm they are identical to the 8 types in my basic 'check' game.

The results are not exactly as expected, not quite as round numbers as you would expect at some of the mid-early levels.

Rick, I also need to know how high you want to go up to, so that I can plan out the end game. Is level 30-40 enough, or do you need to get up to level 50-60+ (which may be more of a problem, not sure, I don't want to have to set up a room next to the arena).
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

p.s. O, don't ask me to replay BT3 please and document that, because that is definately out of the question! :) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P :P :P :P