the basement

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Whenever I test a mod, I always use a clean game with a party that never left the Hall.

Most games keep certain information with their save, so it is easy to get crashes, so I never save while I am testing. It helps cut down on the unusual errors with no real explanation.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

good recommendations. thx. I won't save while testing.

Basement update: I've gotten some scripts done now, a few battles, a magic mouth-like script, some plot lines and i've changed the entrance from the testing point (cheat script point-next to the temple) to an area outside Rennibister into the wilderness and created original textures for the entrance building. Also a chest script where some items that previously needed to be crafted will be available inside of treasure chests (only after difficult battles of course! muhahahaha!!!) . Anyway, I can forsee the modding proccess for this thing going on for a while but i've made allot of progress and am mostly done with the first level. 3 more to go after that. I'll keep you posted. + thanks for everyones help.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

OK, i've completed all programming for quad 1 + quad 2. Now on to quad 3! :D
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Git er done!
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Duo Attaboys! :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

quadrant 3 = complete. working on the final quad now.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Dragon-dude, u r on FIRE!!!!

Smokin' as the they say in da biz..

Lookin' forward & backward to/from it! :wink:
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

OK. Just one tip for anyone designing their own mod. Make all your files have your initials at the beginning of each and EVERY file that you make whether they are config files, script files, picture files, sound files or whatever they may be. That way when trying to collect all files for compilation you can just grab them all at once + not have to go on a search mission + have to go through every file and rename them to conform. I only started doing this halfway throughout my modding process + am regretting it now. doh! :( :roll:
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

OK. So i'm running into a bit of a problem. As I'm going through the first quadrant with a testing team, my team gets hit with a poisonous trap. It poisons my arcanist every time. Then from then on, he can't do anything. He can't cast spells, can't attack, can't do anything. i scripted the treasure on the level to have antidotes which can be picked up in treasure chests after battles. I can't equip them. therefore I can't use them + my poisoned character gets hit until he kicks the bucket. :( :twisted: Is the only way to heal poisoned characters with a paladin? What's the point of crafting Antidotes if you can't use them? or am I missing something?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Antidotes are one of the many items that don't work.

Is this a custom trap? Usually, the poison wears off, unless it is scripted not to. How about posting your script, and we can look at it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I've been using the premade traps indicating X, Y, #, # below the SPECLITE heading.
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

can't wait for the finished product! :D :!:
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

dragonbait wrote:OK. Just one tip for anyone designing their own mod. Make all your files have your initials at the beginning of each and EVERY file that you make whether they are config files, script files, picture files, sound files or whatever they may be. That way when trying to collect all files for compilation you can just grab them all at once + not have to go on a search mission + have to go through every file and rename them to conform. I only started doing this halfway throughout my modding process + am regretting it now. doh! :( :roll:
I claimed "BL_" as a filename prefix a long time ago for "Bard's Lore", although "Bard's Lore 2" might get "L2_".
Don't forget that you need to make changes to existing DW files too. At the very least, you'll need to make a change to either Rennibister, the wilderness outside town, or one of the existing dungeons so you can enter your mod's maps.
What "The Bard's Lore" will be doing is placing a new door just to the north of the entry to the Adventurer's Guild (the place where new characters start, if my memory scrambled the name). That way you don't have to explore very far, and you don't cover up anything in the original maps.
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

HG, may we infer from yer apparent (transparent) implication that yer werkin' on a mod??

:P
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

HGamer wrote:
dragonbait wrote:OK. Just one tip for anyone designing their own mod. Make all your files have your initials at the beginning of each and EVERY file that you make whether they are config files, script files, picture files, sound files or whatever they may be. That way when trying to collect all files for compilation you can just grab them all at once + not have to go on a search mission + have to go through every file and rename them to conform. I only started doing this halfway throughout my modding process + am regretting it now. doh! :( :roll:
I claimed "BL_" as a filename prefix a long time ago for "Bard's Lore", although "Bard's Lore 2" might get "L2_".
Don't forget that you need to make changes to existing DW files too. At the very least, you'll need to make a change to either Rennibister, the wilderness outside town, or one of the existing dungeons so you can enter your mod's maps.
What "The Bard's Lore" will be doing is placing a new door just to the north of the entry to the Adventurer's Guild (the place where new characters start, if my memory scrambled the name). That way you don't have to explore very far, and you don't cover up anything in the original maps.
HGamer....are you the creator of the Bard's Lore??? or doing a mod of Bard's lore?

+ yeah I modified the Renwild....or whatever the wilderness file is called. I forget. I put my mod's entrance near the group of trees that are direcly to the east and a little bit south of the gates of rennibister. I also created a tower out in the wilderness but only for viewing purposes. My next project will be a tower........but that's........another story.

Anyway I had to redo the map for the 4th quadrant since it wasn't working quite exactly the way i had wanted to (mainly due to my wall pics. got some actuall pictures for floor/ceils, which make it look xtra nice......+ I don't know why i even call them quadrants anymore cause they're really just levels since i have ya going down levels instead of into each quadrant as I had originally planned. but have been working on the final battle first since basically everything else can be done in short time. the final battle has some options of doing more than one option + batlles + such and as a beginner modder, I'm learning as I go but the last battle...i'm having allot of fun with it. Hopefully it will end up being as great as I want it to.
Last edited by dragonbait on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.