BT Mod gets credit on a DW review.

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

chaney
Stalker

BT Mod gets credit on a DW review.

Post by chaney »

This is a link on DW that mentions Origen's BT Mod. I found the article interesting, and Origen got some credit, although they didn't give his name. http://www.just-rpg.com/default.asp?pid=1246
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Glad you posted this, Chaney! For some reason, I've always dug reading RPG game reviews & this is a good one.. also glad she mentioned Origen's BT mod.

But I just don't see how anyone could complete this entire game in only 20 hrs!?
Devil Whiskey is not a long game - maybe 20 hours if you don't rush. The final dungeon can take longer but I got through it my first game in 15 minutes.
Not saying I think she's lying--perhaps just not realizing how much time she actually spent...easy to lose track when yer having so much immersive-type fun.

Now admittedly, I tend to play slowly & cautiously thru the few RPG's I've played--but friggin' A--I'm sure DW took me at least 50 hrs to complete!

So, how long did it take others here to complete DW the first time? (& without serious/significant cheatin'!)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I explored every nook and cranny. I would say 50 hours is realistic, but I can't say that I timed myself. I was too busy having fun!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Still haven't completed the game, and I purchased it the day it was released. How many hours is that?

Glad to see I get some credit. Who do I contact about royalties?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

20 hrs seems extremely short, even if your just plowing through the game just to finish it, but who really does that? + do those 20 hours include the sidequests? Maybe 60-70 hrs, seems more like it. Or if you count the hours past out in front of the computer screen after too much whiskey the numbers could drastically increase. :? But who really cares about numbers. Plus there's the re-playability factor. You can play the same game with different types of characters which mixes it up a bit. Character creation is a fun part of the game for me. And for some, theres modding.
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I just wish you could transfer characters like in the original Bard's Tale. Or if you started a new party, you can go from the beginning even in the same game.

I would create about 2-3 different parties in Bard's Tale 3, and get them each through the starter dungeon. Then, I pick and choose the players I like best, and continued the game with them. Plus, this way, you still have some experienced back-up players if someone wasn't pulling their fair share.

Not quite possible in DW.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Allot of times in bard's tale and pool of radiance, I would have a team and play through part of the game, then take one or two mid level characters and restart at the beginning of the game and take along some new characters. Having a couple of mid levelers helped out the new team allot. Being able to mix+match characters from different save games helps out allot. Maybe this should be in it's own thread in Suggestions to the Dev's.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Oh yeah! I would get my characters up to level 10 or 11, then get some new mages in and protect them until they could be useful. Not to get too nostalgic, but those were the days!
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Of course, in those games duplicating items was insanely easy. In Champions of Krynn I have two Knights equipped with the footman's Dragon Lance, then everyone else who was able (a Ranger and a Cleric/Thief IIRC, in that game) was equipped with a particular sword which was somewhat powerful. Post-game, I had backups of the Lance and sword, so when I transferred to Death Knights, so my party was still spectacularly equipped. I had to drop the Ranger due to a pressing need for more Magic, but my two Knights were more than enough to handle any melee.

I can see why they didn't put in an easily abused method for item duplication. It made CoK too easy. Thankfully most of the gold box games I never found anything that strong to duplicate. In Treasures of the Savage Frontier I had +3 Long Swords on my entire front line, but those were earned the old fashioned way; by indiscriminately slaughtering fools and taking them. I also had a +3 Flail, and a couple +3 Quarterstaves. It was stupid easy to get +3 weapons there, by the time you reached mid-game, so cheating wasn't necessary. Of course, there were so many parts that required a +3 weapon to advance, due to those Iron Golems, that they had to.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Well, I had gotten all the way through Pools of Darkness, (game 4 of pool of radiance) and since you could go up to level 30, i had gotten my human characters (which are able to dual class) up to level 29 then changed classes. that way I could go up to level 30 in my new class and keep the class benefits of my previous level 29 class, but was too lazy to go through and beat PoD a second time. By the way, I've never found a way to defeat the bonus area at the end of PoD, when you get to the ship at the end. Has anyone defeated the bonus,.....all combat area of Pools of Darkness?? any help in directions for completing the bonus area would be grateful, and as far as I know, unheard of so far.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Don't know anything re: PoD, but here's a question related to special weapons that Dom mentioned..

Anyone know of any game wherein you could create new weapons within the game? Like, say.. pay some blacksmith or mage to forge a new weapon or armor (could also create new rings, wands, etc)?

You'd perhaps be asked for the new item's name, a brief description, & basic attributes like bonus damage, to hit, extra strikes, etc. Any special attributes would cost ye extra. All done via point'n'click selections (for attributes) & a couple text-entry boxes.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code for (since it would simply be adding on to the existing items database) & would really enhance a game.. Anyhew, that's a feature I'm gonna build into my own RPGs one of these daze.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Growler wrote:Don't know anything re: PoD, but here's a question related to special weapons that Dom mentioned..

Anyone know of any game wherein you could create new weapons within the game? Like, say.. pay some blacksmith or mage to forge a new weapon or armor (could also create new rings, wands, etc)?

You'd perhaps be asked for the new item's name, a brief description, & basic attributes like bonus damage, to hit, extra strikes, etc. Any special attributes would cost ye extra. All done via point'n'click selections (for attributes) & a couple text-entry boxes.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code for (since it would simply be adding on to the existing items database) & would really enhance a game.. Anyhew, that's a feature I'm gonna build into my own RPGs one of these daze.
hmmm. If i remember correctly there was something in might and magic II that allowed you to pay or maybe cast a spell to get additional +1's to your items. Think you could do that at certain places for +1's to str, int, con. etc. but that game was a Gazillion years ago.

Also curious about your "gonna build into my own RPG one of these daze." remark. Are you thinking of making a RPG? That'd be sweet!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

dragonbait wrote:
Growler wrote:Don't know anything re: PoD, but here's a question related to special weapons that Dom mentioned..

..Also curious about your "gonna build into my own RPG one of these daze." remark. Are you thinking of making a RPG? That'd be sweet!
May have to play M&MII one day.. like the ability to add bonus points to items or char-attribs.

And I do still plan to create a RPG one of these daze.. I've got a lot of stuff worked out, but would need an illustrator, programmer, &...basically a small team of hyper-dedicated savants. :D

It would be playable (via cards) sans pooter or with.. & ideally, would allow for some degree of online play--at least 1-on-1 combat with little quests thrown in.

May be several months or even a year or 2 in the future--but something I'm eventually gonna do. And when I'm ready to pursue, I'll def check here for anyone interested in joining. It'll be the Beast Quest of a Lifetime. Awards & Accolades (& lots of honeys) to follow.