help with audio

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

help with audio

Post by dragonbait »

I have some .WAV files that I'd like to use with Xoram's Tower mod. I went ahead and read the README.audio file and the oneshot audio thread on the mods discussion section, and looked into Rickstavern's Tale's of the North Audio files. Which is basically the only info I can find about setting up audio for DW. I know I will need config files, .DAT files, .OGG files , .WAV files, but am lost on how I would get this to work. Does anyone know enough about this and have some time to run through a quick tutorial? Would be much appreciated. :)
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I'll try to explain the different areas that you need to edit.

You need to build a dat file for your audio theme. Create this new file in the audio/config directory. The content will lay out the various background sounds for that map.

Code: Select all

#Environment audio config for my map
main audio/music/env/music.ogg
rand audio/effects/sound1.wav 20
rand audio/effects/sound2.wav 10
rand audio/effects/sound3.wav 15
The main audio is a continuous loop that provides the primary background atmophere for the level. The random sounds will, of course, play randomly based upon the frequency that you give them. The frequency is the number at the end of those line and is a chance out of 1000. An intro sound can also be defined that will play once when the configuration is first loaded. Following the intro it will proceed directly to the main audio.

Once your sound files are in the proper directory and you have your data files built then you must edit the map files to use your audio setup. If you look through the maps you will notice an area defined as:

audio/config 3
myaudio1.dat 0
myaudio2.dat 6
myaudio3.dat 19
The number at the end of the first line defines the number of following lines used for audio configuration. Each line will reference one of your dat files and the start time based upon a 24 hour clock. The first dat will be played starting at midnight (hour zero). The second begins at 6am and the last at 7pm. This is typically used to provide different sounds for day and night.

That's pretty much it. Probably the best example of this that I had in my mod was the hedge maze as it used two different sound sets.

If you want to create oneshot audio to use in your scripts... well that stuff wasn't documented by the devs. I'll have to write a follow-up to explain it.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

thanks for posting a tutorial! :)

I was confused thinking that I'd need to type into a command prompt like when using the texmake and picmake programs to create the .DAT file, but I justed saved the file with a .DAT file extension, so i'll try it out further sometime on the weekend and report back later with my progress. 8)
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

OK here is what I have so far...

I created a .DAT file called test.dat and placed in into the audio/config folder.
test.dat code=

rand audio/effects/laughter.wav 20
rand audio/effects/no.wav 10
rand audio/effects/back_in_ren.wav 15
and placed laughter.wav, no.wav, back_in_ren.wav, files in the audio/effects folder.

created a config file.
code=

xtmain 25 25 pics/walls/xtwall5.dat NULL pics/other/xoram2.dat
maps/xtwalls.cfg maps/xtmaincells.cfg maps/xtevents.cfg maps/xtmon.cfg
SPECLITE 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
audio/config 1
test.dat 19
SPECCELL 20 16 0
RANDITEMS 10
Mage_Hood 3
Ruby 16
Boomerang 9
Obsidian_Arrows_(20) 20
Long_Bow 19
Sprite_Wand 15
Helm 13
Eelskin_Gloves 12
Eelskin_Armor 10
War_Boots 11
#col
10 11 Ewall
10 12 Ewall
10 13 Ewall
10 14 Ewall
10 15 Ewall
#col1
11 10 Nwall
11 11 NEdoor
11 14 Ndoor
11 15 NwallEdoor
#col2
12 10 Nwall
12 13 tEdoor
12 15 Nwall
12 16 Ewall
#col3
13 10 Nwall
13 12 tNdoor
13 13 tNEdoor
13 16 NdoorEwall
#col4
14 10 Nwall
14 11 Edoor
14 15 NwallEdoor
#col5
15 10 Nwall
15 11 NdoorEwall
15 12 Ewall
15 13 Ewall
15 14 NdoorEwall
15 15 NEwall
#
16 11 tEwall
16 13 tEwall
17 10 tNwall
17 11 tEwall
17 13 tNEwall
18 11 tNEwall
18 12 tNdoorWSEwall
18 13 tEwall
19 10 tNwall
19 11 tNEwall
19 12 tNwall
19 13 tNEwall
the main piece of code here is

audio/config 1
test.dat 19
Gave it a run through but no sound. I figure it has something to do with the .ogg file which i haven't done anything with so far. How should I create the .ogg file and what goes into that?

Sorry if I'm asking a newbie question. I'm a newbie at the audio thing. :?
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

You are close to having it work.

audio/config 1 
test.dat 19
change the time from 19 to 0. This will change the start time for the sound theme to midnight, which is technically the beginning of the day.

rand audio/effects/laughter.wav 20 
rand audio/effects/no.wav 10 
rand audio/effects/back_in_ren.wav 15 
Remove the main audio line if you do not have a file for this yet. the "main" line defines the looping background sound. Don't be confused by the sample file extension. It can be any format, but .ogg was just used by the developers are their format of choice.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I see. Random sound is working now. :)

If you can go into "oneshot audio" for use in scripts that would be great! :D