MOD merging

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

Rickstavern
Black Claw

MOD merging

Post by Rickstavern »

I have decided that I wanted to play through the game again, but this time I want to use the various modifications that have been created.

I have esentially merged a few of the user created mods together into a single package. It wasn't anything major, just a few edits here and there so that everything plays nice together.

I would like to make this package available for download, but I will not do so without creator permission. So, Dragonbait and Origen. If you agree then I will make this available as a download. I can also add in any new mods as they are made avaialble, also with creator permission.

I do have an issue though. I made some edits to Origen's mod since the original references rewards which are not necessarily available without the beta patch. (besides, I thought they were too good for noobs, hehe) So this inclusion is... a possible problem. I may work to make these work with the beta update, too, but i'm not sure if I will do that right now.

So, let me know what you think. Thanks.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hey that sounds great but before you make it final, I'd like to upload/post an update so that the title image reads "Basement" for the basement levels. Will upload/post it soon. But yes you have my OK to combine with other mods. 8)

What mods will you be combining? Also any help with my post on the monster thread would be much appreciated. :)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

ORIGEN!! SAY YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RICK, YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!! I AM TOTALLY JAZZED THAT YOU HAVE NOT ABANDONED THE FORUMS OR THE GAME. YOU, ORIGEN, AND DRAGONBAIT COULD USE THIS ENGINE TO CREATE A NEW GAME AND I WOULD GLADLY PLUNK DOWN MY CASH!!!!
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

At the moment, the only ones I have combined are 'The Basement', 'Defend Rennibister!' and 'Devil Whiskey add-on' (Origen's mod.) These are all fairly easy to combine and do not stomp all over each other, but combined they greatly add to the overall game. I just think that if people are still buying the game, then why not allow them to also enjoy some of the extra content that we've created here?

Since Dragonbait is working on a more complex mod at this time, we'll see what it will take to add that one in when it is complete (and after it is well tested and bug free, heh.) The more complex the changes, the more difficult it is to merge with other modifications.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hi Rick:

Here is my last update for the basement.

I have updated the basement files so a title image is included. This is the only thing that has changed. If you can add the files to the Mod_Merge that'd be great.

For all other people thinking of using this update, you probably just want to wait until the Mod_merge has been completed.

OK here are the files.....
http://www.icestorm9999.com/downloads/b ... update.zip

-Bri
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I have been away for a while, feeling very under the weather, but I will give permission to do whatever you want with my released mods. I am going on vacation for a week, so I will not be around, but I will try to check eventually.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

hey origen. hopefully by the time you feel better you'll have a nice merged group of mods file to go adventuring with. :)

Rick: OK I've gone back and used your title image file and created a clear image + final Basement title! 8) I replaced the .dat file with the new version of basementtitle.dat

I guess that's it. (can see the finished result on the title image thread.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Here ya go.

This is the first release of the Devil Whiskey MEGAMOD project.

http://home.comcast.net/~tavernx/files/DWMEGAMOD.zip

Just remember: I will not support the contents of the mods, I'm just presenting them in a nice package.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Wow! Devil Whiskey Mega-Mod!! :D

Awesome! Looks great! + Nice intro/Word Document!

A couple of questions,

1.) in regards to the picindex file......... It looks like with the Mega-Mod that the basement was the only mod to include original pictures. I'm assuming that if I go on with another mod and create more original pictures I should use the same picindex file? so that any more new files will be added to this picindex so that there is 1 picindex file and not 2 separate? (But only if I am using Devilwhiskey version 2.0?)

Currently for Xoram's Tower I am using the patched versions, up to your unofficial version 2.01b

2.) and i guess depending on the answer to the first question, the same would basically apply to new items+monsters (though no new items/monsters were created for the Megamod) or at least for this first release of the MEGAMOD project

3.) or is there a way to go around this and combine multiple picindex files?
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

dragonbait wrote: 1.) in regards to the picindex file......... It looks like with the Mega-Mod that the basement was the only mod to include original pictures. I'm assuming that if I go on with another mod and create more original pictures I should use the same picindex file? so that any more new files will be added to this picindex so that there is 1 picindex file and not 2 separate? (But only if I am using Devilwhiskey version 2.0?)
Yes, in order to completely merge any existing mods you must use the same picindex file for everything.
2.) and i guess depending on the answer to the first question, the same would basically apply to new items+monsters (though no new items/monsters were created for the Megamod) or at least for this first release of the MEGAMOD project
Yes, but because items and monsters are compiled files, it would be impossible to merge any without the source files. keep this in mind if that is the direction you want to take.
3.) or is there a way to go around this and combine multiple picindex files?
Merging everything is a manual process. There is no trick to get around it all.

I would suggest the following be done:

1. use the picindex file from the beta patch as a base. There was only one additional index entry added and it won't hurt anything. I noticed that you use the picindex file from my larger mod. forget that and go back to the beta one. since I have the source for my pictures, it's easier to add mine on top of yours.

2. you can create a windows batch file for the pictures
make a batch file (picmake.bat) and use the contents below as an example.

Code: Select all

picmake newpic1.pic picindex.dat newpic1.cfg
picmake newpic2.pic picindex.dat newpic2.cfg
just by running this you can rebuild your picindex in less than a second.

3. Unless you absolutely have to, do NOT create any new spells and skills. merging actions.dat will be an insane process.

4. Provide any new item and monster entries. Just remember that adding monsters will break current game content because we do not have a current monster file. You can beg Decklin for the current one. Maybe he has it, maybe not.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Rick, how could you do the MegaMod without including your mod?!! I found your mod quite challenging and fun. Yours seemed as if it took the most work as well. What gives?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Well I am guessing here but maybe it might have something to do with the version of DW used when making each of the mods, or it might have something to do with conflicting files. One mod makes changes to certain files that another mod also makes changes to so the result is unless all the files are combined which could become tedious at times, and also considering that this is only "Release I" of the Megamod, there can be other releases. In which case I have uploaded my picture source files from both "the basement" and also "xoram's tower" (as i'm going through it) to the devilwhiskeymembers yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/devilwhiskey/
in case RT needs access to for a future merge. Or maybe RT didn't include for other reasons. i don't know. We'll see I guess.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Rick, how could you do the MegaMod without including your mod?!! I found your mod quite challenging and fun. Yours seemed as if it took the most work as well. What gives?
Well, it violates most of the recomendations that I gave to Dragonbait. Plus, I never did really finish it. My mod was mostly an experiment. I wanted to find out how to modify much of the game despite the thin documentation in many areas. I did work out a lot of different things, but I also uncovered a lot of bugs.

The biggest hangup for these larger modifications is the lack of an accurate monsters source file. We just don't have one and are not likely to get one. The current source material that we have is missing some entries. Creating a new data file will break content such as Asher's Tomb (no entry for the ghost dragon) and the Lair (no entry for the werewolf.) There may also be additional missing entries.

It's possible to merge things like this in, but my original intent was to simply play through the game with some additional mods. In conclusion, I decided that I would rather add content than to break existing content and that is what determined what mods I merged together.

If we can get the source for version 2.0 and the 2.01 beta monster files then we can reconsider this (yes, the beta is also missing monster entries such as the ghost dragon.)

I thought that I had a thread here for my mod at one time, but I cannot find it now. Oh well.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

You guys never cease to amaze me.. :P

Wish I could wave a wand & make the source code open as a lady's skirt on a windy day. (did I just type that out loud? :oops:)

If EVER there was reason for whoever 'owns' the sourcecode to RELEASE it--it would be now.. or yesterday.

Dangit... I just don't understand--there are super-smart/talented players & modders here willing & able to fix some of the stuff.

How the heck could That be a bad thing?

Seems it would Increase the value of the game.. I'd re-purchase just to support the open-sourcing & modding efforts.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I don't understand how you could put this much effort into something and then just walk away without so much as looking back to see it's effect. As everyone on the forums is a BT fan, can any of you see just walking away and not caring anymore?