MOD merging

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Rickstavern wrote:
dragonbait wrote: 1.) in regards to the picindex file......... It looks like with the Mega-Mod that the basement was the only mod to include original pictures. I'm assuming that if I go on with another mod and create more original pictures I should use the same picindex file? so that any more new files will be added to this picindex so that there is 1 picindex file and not 2 separate? (But only if I am using Devilwhiskey version 2.0?)
Yes, in order to completely merge any existing mods you must use the same picindex file for everything.
2.) and i guess depending on the answer to the first question, the same would basically apply to new items+monsters (though no new items/monsters were created for the Megamod) or at least for this first release of the MEGAMOD project
Yes, but because items and monsters are compiled files, it would be impossible to merge any without the source files. keep this in mind if that is the direction you want to take.
3.) or is there a way to go around this and combine multiple picindex files?
Merging everything is a manual process. There is no trick to get around it all.

I would suggest the following be done:

1. use the picindex file from the beta patch as a base. There was only one additional index entry added and it won't hurt anything. I noticed that you use the picindex file from my larger mod. forget that and go back to the beta one. since I have the source for my pictures, it's easier to add mine on top of yours.

2. you can create a windows batch file for the pictures
make a batch file (picmake.bat) and use the contents below as an example.

Code: Select all

picmake newpic1.pic picindex.dat newpic1.cfg
picmake newpic2.pic picindex.dat newpic2.cfg
just by running this you can rebuild your picindex in less than a second.

3. Unless you absolutely have to, do NOT create any new spells and skills. merging actions.dat will be an insane process.

4. Provide any new item and monster entries. Just remember that adding monsters will break current game content because we do not have a current monster file. You can beg Decklin for the current one. Maybe he has it, maybe not.
Since there will be new monsters with Xoram's Tower thus breaking some points within the regular game, + your Tales' of the North also does the same,.....+ while TotN uses version 2.0 just as do all the rest of the mods, I'm just going to stick with version 2.0 I will use the picindex file, monsters file, + such from TotN as a base, then when I get mine finished we can then be able to add/join the megamod so that the new version of MEGAMOD can include....

RT's Tales of The North
RT's Defend Rennibister
Origen's DW add-on
Dragonbait's The Basement
Dragonbait's Xoram's Tower.

Seems to be the best option. + Anyone else that wants to add to the loot can add on to what we have done.

We can still keep 2 different versions of MEGAMOD. One which we have now that does not break any game events, and a new version which does break some events, but also has new monsters, items and other such things.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Thanks for still pitching in Rick. Dragonbait, How do you find time for 2 websites, monitoring this one and modding?
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Actually, updating the icestorm9999 rpg site is fairly quick. It's mostly just FTP'ing files to the site, then copying and pasting HTML code that is already on the site and changing it around a bit. + the bitomoander discussion board and the blog are basically pre-made. I just changed the color scheme around a bit + added a backround. Then for the rest, there's lots of coffee. :wink:
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Rickstavern wrote:
Rick, how could you do the MegaMod without including your mod?!! I found your mod quite challenging and fun. Yours seemed as if it took the most work as well. What gives?
Well, it violates most of the recomendations that I gave to Dragonbait. Plus, I never did really finish it. My mod was mostly an experiment. I wanted to find out how to modify much of the game despite the thin documentation in many areas. I did work out a lot of different things, but I also uncovered a lot of bugs.

The biggest hangup for these larger modifications is the lack of an accurate monsters source file. We just don't have one and are not likely to get one. The current source material that we have is missing some entries. Creating a new data file will break content such as Asher's Tomb (no entry for the ghost dragon) and the Lair (no entry for the werewolf.) There may also be additional missing entries.

It's possible to merge things like this in, but my original intent was to simply play through the game with some additional mods. In conclusion, I decided that I would rather add content than to break existing content and that is what determined what mods I merged together.

If we can get the source for version 2.0 and the 2.01 beta monster files then we can reconsider this (yes, the beta is also missing monster entries such as the ghost dragon.)

I thought that I had a thread here for my mod at one time, but I cannot find it now. Oh well.
er.. just to confirm, that if we are to combine Tales of the North into the MEGAMOD, I should go back to using the TotN picindex file and TotN monstersindex file right?
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Hey. Been gone a long time, but I just happened to check the forum today.

If you want to do any further merging then here is what you should do.

• Use the picindex file from the beta patch. I can add anything from mine on top. You should include the pictures from both of your mods in the same index. By using a new pristine source we can get a clean merge.

Create whatever monsters you want, but include the source for those monsters.

Create whatever items you want, but include the source for those items.

What I have done is to create a nice little batch file that will add all my necessary pictures to a picindex file. just takes a double click so it's really easy to merge that aspect of the mods. Monsters will have to merged into a single text file and compiled. The same goes with items.

If you want to go this route then we may be able to make some new entries for missing monsters so that the original content is not broken (as much.)

Oh, and beware of creating any new actions! All additions to the actions file must be merged manually. Personally, I would use whatever is already there if I did anything new.

I'm a bit distracted at this time, but I'll check back later. When you get your last mod to a final state then i'll definately want to play through it.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

OK. beta patch it is then. Will include pics from both my mods + a source for monsters and items. I will not be using any new actions. Thanks for your help/advice.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Rick, I am curious. I played yout ToTN and had no issues. You said that it was unfinished and not working properly. What exactly were the issues? I played it, loved it and had no issues.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Chaney,

You would probably be surprised by what was broken, missing, or just not implemented. You prolly didn't notice a lot of it because the core quest was complete. You can go from start to end entirely, but will miss a lot of stuff along the way.

I did some additional work around the time of the release. I still had some motivation then. If I can muster up some strength for additional merging then you'll probably see a lot of changes.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

YEAH!!!!!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

will 2nd Chaney's YEAH!!!!!

& add: ..so much talent--creative & technical--here, yet so little support.

is it time to storm the castle?
:twisted: :evil: :twisted:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

An updated mega mod. The now includes (and requires) the unofficial beta patch. Many small corrections have been made and new content has been added.

There is so much included now that I cannot test it all. If you encounter a bug then you must take it upon yourself to document the issue and to let the modders know.

http://home.comcast.net/~tavernx/files/DWMEGAMOD.zip
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Awesome! 8)
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

I squeezed in a new, small mod that I had tucked away.

If you have some wisdom that the oracle can dispense then I am open to suggestions. So far he has a basic knowledge of people, places and things found within the game. Test his knowledge and then let me know what you would like to see added.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

SWEET!!!!!!!!!! I will start trying it out today. What levels are recommended for the small mod?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Very nicely written word doc-loved the descriptions of the story lines for each user mod. What is a Chakram?